Applying Beeswax (Read 757 times)
Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Applying Beeswax
Jun 9th, 2021 at 2:27pm

After tucking my big block of beeswax away in a box somewhere not to be found again after I moved, I gave up and bought some more.  Same price, but this time it came in ingots.  Nice.

I apply beeswax to my slings when they're braided from a cordage that's too fluffy, fuzzy, slippery, absorbent, or stretchy.  It tames the fuzz, improves aerodynamism, protects from moisture, improves grip, reduces stretchiness, and just plain smells nice.  I recently waxed a plain cotton string braided/woven sling that I couldn't hit diddly with, and immediately noticed an improvement in feel and accuracy.

Along the timeline of this forum, I've seen descriptions of how people apply it, melting, adding other oils, etc., but I'm content to just rub it on.  Between the warmth of my fingers and the heat from the friction, it gets satisfyingly gummy and sticks pretty well.  After that, I massage it in, maybe lay it out in the South Carolina sun for a while, and massage in some more.  That usually does the trick, but if not, repeat.

Sometimes if I'm working with a super fuzzy (I'm looking at you, cheap jute  Angry) or very slick (twisted nylon mason line), I'll rub a very light layer of beeswax on the line before starting to braid.  It keeps the fuzz from going up my nose and is tacky enough to give a nice tight braid.

Learn from my fail:  Do NOT rub a heavy coating onto acrylic yarn before braiding.  It turns into a sticky globby nasty mess before you can even get started. Yuck!

So my question is, how, when, and why do you all apply beeswax?

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Applying Beeswax
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2021 at 8:41pm

I think Jaegoor said he melts it and dips the sling in it. I would think this would be the best way to get a coating on everything.  You'd have to wait long enough for surface tension to pull the wax into small gaps, but if you have the wax on some sort of heat source, that should be easy enough. 

I have yet to try this, but was going to try it when our next candle runs out of the burnable wax (you know, when it just won't stay lit anymore and there is still lots of wax left over).  And my sling should smell nice too.

John R.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2021 at 5:28pm

I havent taken any wax from my bees yet. They get pissy when i just open the hive right now.

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2021 at 6:26pm

I mixed beeswax, almond oil, lime oil and ricin oil and melted in the microwave, then applied with a rag and fingers to my sling. Or is it better to dip it completely in a container of wax, what do you think?
Now it is a frozen, thickened substance covered with cling film. When I need it, I just put it in the microwave for 2 minutes, but it usually takes 7 minutes in the microwave to melt the wax, which is in a solid form.

"Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.” ― Terry Pratchett

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2021 at 8:02am

I usually wax like a primitive bowstring. Heavy waxing, heat gun/blow drier, then light waxing, light heat.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 6:35pm

For light slings like my 'Cortaillod,' I pass the whole sling through liquid beeswax. It has too be hot enough (but not too hot or it vaporises) so that it is very fluid, otherwise it will collect too much wax. If you over wax your sling, hold it over a heat source until wax on the surface melts and |dab it/press it| into a paper towel. You also don't need to bother with the double boiler method as long as your careful.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy)