Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recipe swap (Read 703 times)
Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Recipe swap
Jun 3rd, 2021 at 10:18pm

I tend to make the same few recipes over and over again, but it would be nice to try some new things. Does anyone have any favorite recipes to share? Links to recipe sites or typing the recipe here are both fair game.

I'll start off by sharing one that I picked up a year ago or so and have made a few times since.

Chicken adobo

Ingredients:
  • chicken
  • soy sauce
  • vinegar
  • bay leaves
  • peppercorn
  • garlic

Instructions:
  1. Cut the chicken into somewhat manageable pieces. I like to do something the size of a golf ball or two roughly. It doesn't matter too much.
  2. Peel the garlic and crush it with the side of your knife.
  3. Put chicken, garlic, soy sauce, and vinegar in a bowl to marinate. I do a 2:1 ratio of soy sauce to vinegar, roughly a cup total. Just enough to cover the chicken.
  4. Let the chicken marinate. If I can, I put it going in the morning, but I'm not sure how critical the timing is. Even half hour might work, I'm not sure.
  5. Heat up a pot or a pan with a lid and fry the chicken a bit on each side. Or, if you're impatient like me, just dump the whole bowl of chicken and marinade into the pot and bring it to a boil. Add a few bay leaves and some peppercorn.
  6. Simmer it for about half an hour with a tight fitting lid.
  7. Take off the lid and cook for a while until the sauce gets a bit thicker. Turn the chicken and baste the pieces with the sauce to keep them from drying out if you're bored.
  8. Serve with rice.

This works equally well with pork.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Recipe swap
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 1:50pm

People have told me that this is the best thing that I cook and the best thing they've ever eaten.  It's a one pot seafood feast.  It's expensive to make but worth it.
You'll need:
A BIG pot.
Two dozen big Chowder Clams.
Two dozen Oysters.
Four dozen muscles.
Three dozen large shrimp.
Three dozen Sea Scallops
Two dozen Snow Crabs
Four dozen Crayfish (Crawdads) Get them live. The frozen ones don't taste as good.
Beer.
Butter.
A good hot sauce.

This is a dish you might have to make a few times to get exactly right but when you do it's heaven on earth.  The trick is to add the various ingredients at the right time so they all finish cooking at once.  Empty four good beers (not Bud Light... LOL) 1/4 lb of butter, and a generous helping of hot sauce into the bottom of the pot. 
     Bring to a boil and add your big, fat clams.  Between adding the other ingredients keep a lid on the pot to keep the steam in  Next, in order add the Oysters.  Then the Snow Crabs, muscles, crawdads, shrimp, and scallops.  This dish is all about timing.  It is a mortal sin to overcook fresh seafood and rightfully so. 
    When the dish is finished you'll end up with a lot of liquid in the bottom of the pot.  Use this to  boil a pound of pasta for the best tasting spaghetti you'll have in your life.  You can also add or substitute Blue Claw Crabs, lobster, your fresh fish of choice, etc..  If you make this for a true seafood lover he/she will never forget it.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2021 at 9:49pm

POPSIES FAMOUS SPAGHETTI BOLOGNASE.

I cook this because I like it. Other people seem to like it. Please no argument or discussion, I'm not Italian. I have spent precisely 4 hours in Italy and it wasn't in Bologna.

INGREDIENTS.

A bottle of red wine.
2Lbs of mince beef.
2Lbs Onions (Mixed)
1Lb   Mushrooms.
4 Bell and/or sweet pointed peppers.
Couple of stalks of celery.
1 large carrot.
A bulb of garlic.
2 Tins of chopped tomatoes.
1 pint passata.
Chopped mixed herbs. (Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Mint)
Salt and Pepper
Worcestershire Sauce.

METHOD.
Place 2 pans on your stove.
One will be a large (preferably cast iron) frying pan, with a lid.
The other a 1 gallon plus stock pot with a lid. Stainless is the way to go.
Heat the frying pan gently and sweat the mince untill you can pour off the excess fat. (the better the quality, the less fat)
Deglaze with a glass of red wine and let the mince simmer in the wine untill absorbed.
Meanwhile, put the tomatoes (canned and Passata) into the large pan with the herbs, plenty of pepper and a little salt.
And a splash of red wine.
And set it to simmer.
When the meat is ready, pour it into the stock pot and keep it simmering.
Chop the onions, some coarse and some fine and sweat in the frying pan with oil and a little water , and the lid on untill soft.
Add to the stock pot.
Ditto peppers.
Chop the garlic and hurl it into the stock pot.
Ditto mushrooms and grated carrot and finely chopped celery.

Now the hard part.
Leave it simmering......
For 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Then another hour
And finally a third hour.

By this time it should have thickened and darkened and taste pretty good.

Now switch off the heat and leave it to stand which allows the flavour to develop.

I find this recipe works best when cooked in the evening then left to stand untill served for the evening meal the next day.

TO SERVE.

Heat gently untill evenly hot throughout.
Taste.
Adjust seasoning.
Add  Worcestershire sauce to taste.

Serve onto pasta of your choice.
Offer a mixture of grated Cheddar, Edam and Parmesan as topping and do not add garlic bread. The extra carbs are not needed.

Oh yes, that is what the rest of the bottle of red is for !!!  Unless, of course, you exercised chefs priviledge and imbided during simmer and stir.

Enjoy  xx

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2021 at 10:01pm

Here is a recipe for the BEST Thai satay sauce I've ever tried... Takes 5 minutes to make.

Can of coconut milk
2 tablespoons red ayam curry paste
2 tsp dark soy sauce
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup natural peanut butter (100% peanuts) crunchy is best
3/4 cup water
1 Teaspoon of salt

Mix all these ingredients in a saucepan on high and let is simmer for a few minutes and stir - it will thicken after a few minutes.

Make sure you are seated when you try it- you WILL go weak at the knees! Also its wise to not wear socks when trying it as your socks may get knocked off.

I'm vegan so have it on crispy fried tofu - its wicked! Meat eaters could have on chicken skewers...

Full credit to https://www.recipetineats.com/thai-chicken-satay-peanut-sauce/ I just retyped it to make it easier to follow.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2021 at 7:08am

I do a non-thai satay sauce.
Not a fan of Thai curry or coconut.
Lemon grass and galangal just seem to make everything taste 'soapy'.

This is pretty quick to make and my parents favourite sauce to accompany a BBQ.
http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2137&highlight=Satay+sauce

I make a peach BBQ sauce which is my favourite and woodssj can vouch for as it's what we made when he stopped by a couple years back. Smiley
http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28195&highlight=Peach+bbq

Try that Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)