Send Topic Print
Video length (Read 1051 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Video length
Jun 3rd, 2021 at 9:14pm

Got a question for anyone who wants to provide their input.  I'm still working on the editing of my next Big Stone Slinging video.  This is by far the most tedious video I've ever worked on.  As you might guess from the title of this thread, it looks like the runtime is going to be pretty long.  I'm thinking this thing could be in the 40 - 45 minute range.  I also think that's way too long and it should be broken into two parts.  Thoughts?

I'd love to have everything together in one.  But I don't think I would be able to get it cut down enough to be a reasonable time without removing a bunch of content that I want to keep.

This isn't intended as a vote.  I'll make a decision soon.  Just curious what everyone thinks would be better.  Two 20ish minute videos, or one 40ish minute.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Re: Video length
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 2:21am

I prefer two 20ish videos, because english isn't natural for me.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 8:17am

Two twentyish vids because the internet has given me a short attention span.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 9:34am

I think it depends what natural breaks present themselves. I would lean towards 3 10-15 min videos

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 9:44am

perpetualstudent wrote on Jun 4th, 2021 at 9:34am:
I think it depends what natural breaks present themselves.

That is a great point.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 9:47am

I think it depends what natural breaks present themselves. I would lean towards 3 10-15 min videos

This. Also, don’t be afraid to cut things out when it’s repetitive. I guess it really depends on whether your goal is to provide comprehensive evidence to prove a point or if the goal is more to tell a story. The story version doesn’t have to show everything if it’s implied or explained verbally.  A good example of this approach is Smarter Every Day. He has a separate channel (Smarter Every Day 2) where he posts  raw footage to back up the storytelling videos.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 9:58am

I go against the crowd in liking everything in one place  Wink

Having a headline and a longer 'behind the scenes' is nice too, but probably not many people watch the longer one.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 12:03pm

Of my longer ones people typically watch ~10-15%. The shorter ones more like 30-40%
So i'd split the video in two if a natural break presents itself.
On the other hand, I find the long videos easier to make.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 12:48pm

something I've also come to realize is ruthless editing helps your quality immensely. Good editing is removing good things that aren't great. A great novel is a good duology ruthlessly condensed. A great short story is a good novella ruthlessly edited. Easier said than done.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #9 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 2:48pm

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time."

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #10 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 3:08pm

Teg wrote on Jun 4th, 2021 at 2:48pm:
"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time."

I do love that quote. So very true. Personally I think splitting them, even if it does take more time, would be better. I can spend a long time watching a YouTube video, but for more repetitive things like slinging practice that repeats a lot, having a break can be beneficial Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Jun 5th, 2021 at 11:30am

I agree. I will justify watching 10 min videos all day. But sitting down to watch a 40 min video is something thats a bit more rare.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Jun 5th, 2021 at 11:34am

perpetualstudent wrote on Jun 4th, 2021 at 12:48pm:
something I've also come to realize is ruthless editing helps your quality immensely. Good editing is removing good things that aren't great. A great novel is a good duology ruthlessly condensed. A great short story is a good novella ruthlessly edited. Easier said than done.

Wow and another good point. Just want to point out this is why The Lord of the Rings trilogy is amazing and The Hobbit is hot garbage.

One they spent all their time only putting in the most important stuff from 3 books. The other they spent all their time trying to fill up 3 movies with one small childrens book worth of material.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)