Send Topic Print
Death (Read 1643 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Death
Jun 2nd, 2021 at 12:58pm

Until the age of eleven I was a very devout Roman Catholic.  I believed every word of it.  Limbo, someone getting five hundred years off of their Purgatory sentence every time I said a Hail Mary, Holy Communion, no meat on Friday, etc., etc.  Consequently I had no fear of death.  Who wouldn't want to grow wings, learn to play the harp, and sit on a cloud with The Lord forever?  One day I was discussing religion with two of my sisters and just like someone threw a switch I no longer accepted any of it.  I saw the world and universe in a completely different light.  I'll always remember that moment.
      Pretty much from that point on I was terrified of death.  What could be worse than becoming nothing forever?  I longed for the days when I was a believer and life was so much simpler. But of course once you cross that bridge there is no going back. 
     I guess because I have seen so much death or maybe it's just a function of old age, but these days I don't worry about it much.  I like life and am in no hurry to check out but the thought of death just doesn't horrify me anymore, thankfully.  Everything dies.  You don't know when you're dead so there is no horror or pain. 
     So do you fear The Reaper? 

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2021 at 7:00pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Death
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2021 at 3:44pm

I've seen a lot of death. I've seen a lot of death quite recently and up close and personal. Thankfully it's not been truly traumatic deaths, but still they've hit close to home. Personally, I don't fear my own death. Death isn't to be feared, it's the dying I hope goes smoothly and quickly. One thing that isn't seemingly all that well known is that dying can take weeks. You can die by degrees with your periphery getting cold and turning blue days before you actually die. I knew one guy didn't have much longer after 5 days of slowly getting colder because I brushed his face with my hand and his cheek was hot but his nose was cold. I just hoped I'm as doped up as he was when the time comes. Even better, I hope they bring in euthanasia in my lifetime. In my opinion, after you're dead, you're dead so I'm not much worried about the after, it's the before.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2021 at 4:40pm

I don't fear death, nonexistence means no more pain, no more struggles of daily life, no more depression that I am fighting right now,... it almost seems like better than being alive aside from the inability to sling or do airsoft.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2021 at 8:25pm

I remember longing daily for death for much the same reason Czech. For months. I think the best definition of depression I heard in undergrad was that "depression is the knowledge that, the past was pain, the present is pain, and the future holds nothing but pain" that neatly summed it up for me. I'm glad that 'knowledge' was mistaken and I did not act on it.

I don't think about death much these days. I hope to die well. I lost 2 grandparents last few years. One died well. The other...did not. I hope to follow the better example.

In the meantime I hope to live well. I don't believe there is nothing beyond, I don't have that kind of faith. The Christian conception of God and the beyond is the best I've run into (though zen bhuddism and stoicism have much to commend themselves in my view). I do not have my childhood faith anymore, I broke that irrevocably, but I have found my way back to a slight faith. Perhaps that is what faith ought to be. I hope it is enough. In the meantime I have duties to discharge and I wish to discharge them well.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2021 at 10:37pm

Dying is the easy part. Everybody does that. Living a life full of purpose and meaning is hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yR3aWK-LK8
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2021 at 5:33pm by NooneOfConsequence »  

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 2:12am

If I were to die today, I don't know if I'd be ready.
But dying today doesn't help me because tomorrow, I have things to do.
But any case, I will have no choice.
This is my philosophy on the subject. But I still have my whole life to change my mind.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 6:12am

TOMBELAINE wrote on Jun 3rd, 2021 at 2:12am:
If I were to die today, I don't know if I'd be ready.

From what I've seen, no-one is ready. Even the people that said they wanted to die didn't seem to enjoy the process. Personally, I don't think it's possible to be ready but I also don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Lot's of things can happen in life even if you have a solid plan. At least with death you know what the end result will be.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2021 at 12:03pm

Having lived with depression for a good 30ish years with decades at a time spending more of that time wishing I was dead rather than being afraid of it, no, I dont fear it.

I fear not living up to my purpose in this life. My reason for being here. But death is a release. I believe in an afterlife but even if there wasnt so what? You would be incapable of caring if one ceased to exist. Its really one of those rare occasions where you fear something that much but will, without a doubt, not care once it happens.

Ive described severe depression as waking up every morning and running a marathon. You arent prepared for it, you are tired and bruised and utterly unable to finish it but you do it anyways. As you pull off your clothes and get into bed for the night you realize you get to wake up tomorrow and run the same race over again. Tomorrow,  the next day and forever.

Depression is an exhaustion on a level that Ive never felt physically. I got to the point a couple times where I simply disassociated. It was like there was nothing I could do, or think or be to be anything but miserable and my brain said "Im done, see ya in a few hours." Crazy experience and not fun.

But the biggest thing, as PS mentioned, is the undeniable fact that you will for sure be miserable the rest of your life. It will never, ever get better. Its all a lie and theres no hope for you. Ever.

That right there is depression talking. None of its true. But it "feels" true. Truer than anything else during your episode.

Your brain is really adept at making you think something is reality. After all everything you experience as current reality is just a bunch of neurons and electrical impulses zapping around in your fatty meat computer between your ears. To make you believe theres no hope and be utterly sure of it? Thats childs play for the human mind.

Its a real thing to go through. Sadly I used to fantasize about dying. Not in an emo way. It was more like "really, what is the point of this? I exist only to feel the emotions of pain and despair."  Seriously, death to me it was like every Christmas and birthday wrapped into one. The thought of it was one of the few things that brought me peace.

One of my favorite quotes on this subject comes from the Imperial Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors which is a military code from the late 1800s in Japan.

"duty is heavier than a mountain; death is lighter than a feather"

That being said there is hope. Trust me if there was hope for me there was hope for anyone.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2021 at 11:29am

I fear death. It’s pretty natural. I don’t believe in any religion or anything like that, but even if I did I probably still would. Dying sounds like it sucks.

But if you want to get more philosophical about it, it’s especially terrifying because it’s the end. In life, no matter what happens, you can always take a different direction at any time. But when you die, all the regrets you could have solved and all hopes for the future just abruptly end.

Back to the simple stuff. I like existing. But I don’t think it’s too helpful to think about it or what happens after, since it’s unavoidable. Don’t live every day like it’s your last, live every day like you have a future.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2021 at 9:20am

Though the years leading up to it were rough, my wife Marie went well.  It was 3:20 in the morning and we all knew it was coming.  She was in a hospice room surrounded by family and friends.  I was holding her left hand and her younger brother Charlie was holding her right.  We had just upped the morphine drip to speed the process per her wishes.  The breaths came slower and slower then finally stopped completely.  Not a terrible way to go.  I'm a miserable old SOB and will probably die alone like my mom did.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2021 at 3:32am

I grew up Christianm but went through a rebellious teenage phase, reading all kinds of books from Dawkins and other atheists, and later bercame solely focused on material things and pleasures

At the end of my rebellious teenage phase a few years go I had fallen away from the faith very far. I got into some really bad occultistic things and went out of my body multiple times. Extremely unpleasant spiritual presencens came into my life as a result of it that science cannot explain.  Terrible tremors and attacks. Calling upon the name of Jesus Christ revoked these presences from my life. It wasn't up until that poiint that I learned that demons are real and learned what true fear is, and that there is so much more beyond what we could possible rationalize.

I don't think death is the end. I think we are made impossible to know and fatom eternity or God truly is. Not some bearded man in the sky. Far more.
Don't let organized religion get in the way of a personal relationship with his son, Jesus Christ.  Truly man's only redemption in the end, because we are all ill and need a healer. He seeks humble hearts and willingness for rescue. The label  we give our self  or a building we  visit doesn't do it. It has to be in the heart. He is the perfect Judge in the end. No need to fear death because his judgement of us is perfect taking in account all things. But how much sorrow on our selves we can prevent if we simply let down our pride.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2021 at 9:16am

As a Christian as well, these days I think the main way a person accepts Jesus is by doing works similar to His. Like helping people without reward, snuffing out pride (which for the most part is a very counterproductive emotion anyways) and things of that nature.

Wouldnt it be interesting if God cared more about our hearts than what we said? To me that seems like the most reasonable conclusion.

As for ghosts and demons, been there done that. Dont give the slightest (insert censored swear word here) if anyone believes me. Ive seen it and thats all that matters and is quite good enough for me thanks!! Never again would be too soon as far as Im concerned.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2021 at 12:48pm

Same here. Never again

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jul 7th, 2021 at 8:32pm

buried another grandparent last month. Physically...well I don't want to check out like he did but there are far worse ways too. The "his tongue stopped responding to moistening his lips" for some reason freaks me out. Just slowly....died out like a candle burning out. He had held on so long for Grandma, and in that he died well, discharging his duty to the end. He had been ready to go a few years back but he held on for her. He hadn't been all there for years but there is a finality.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #14 - Jul 8th, 2021 at 3:23am

Sorry to hear that. The finality can be comforting for sure and it sounds like he had done everything he was meant to do here and it was time.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner)