Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How many times have you changed your favorite type of sling to make? (Read 1262 times)
Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
How many times have you changed your favorite type of sling to make?
May 20th, 2021 at 1:50pm

30 years ago, it was a piece of denim and some string.  Then, it was twisted friction tape for the cords and pouch both.

15 years ago, I discovered paracord and did the rabbit ears woven pouch.  Cool.

After really getting into this forum, it was the crossed leather straps on paracord, easy-peasy... until I made a Peaceful Jeffery.  Oooooo!

Lo and behold, the Rockman can be made out of thin jute twine!  Nice, braiding and weaving!  And yes, I did have a brief love affair with the Mexican museum tematlatl sling.

These days, since Mr. Morningstar showed us the video of the girl making the Andean huaraca, I'm on a really big kick with those.  The color combinations are endless!

I've never made a Chamorro sling, nor have I ever braided a Balearic out of loose fiber before, but I'm sure that once I do, one of those will be my new favorite to make.

That isn't necessarily to make and use, just make.

My fickleness of the favorite to actually use will be in a future thread.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: How many times have you changed your favorite type of sling to make?
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2021 at 3:06pm

For my first few months of slinging many moons ago I used nothing but an Appu-sling which is an open pouch Three Strand Sheep Shank or TS3 sling.  The first good sling I made was a Rockman.  These days  I mostly use a modified pj, a closed pouch TS3, and a Rockman.  I have used many other types of sling but these seem to be the three that I'm most comfortable with.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - May 21st, 2021 at 3:29pm

Probably every month, sometimes twice a month the last year because of relentless testing and experimenting

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #3 - May 21st, 2021 at 3:48pm

Ha!
Yeah, J, I hear you.
In your experiments, did you make any braided/woven Y-slings?  If so, how?  I've been trying to figure that out.  Maybe start a Rockman or huaraca and never rejoin the release cords?
I'll probably just give up and end up using athletic tape for the half-pouch and call it done.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2021 at 7:28am

I didn't braid any personally myself, but it can be done, a forum member is making one, he might share it soon.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2021 at 12:54pm

well I have favourite slings for different applications.

the ones I currently like making most - I can't tell you about lol
No really i can't Smiley
But they are pretty cool.

You can't beat a cap paul for throwing anything - and you get to batter the living snot out of some brass effect rivets with a hammer till they are flat.

So that's always fun.

As the technology and machines i own changes - so does the way i make slings.

Should the internet explode and life on earth be thrown back to the stone age.
I might start braiding slings (well right after I raid the local amazon warehouse and liberate all their paracord - among other things)
Assuming there are books on braiding in the library - 'cos if the interweb dies, I'm starting the scavenginging at a library Smiley

To actually answer the question.
hmm.
Well i started with leather shoelaces and - no clue what the pouch was made of, this was over 45 years ago.
I used a 6 hole leather pouch for a while, then butterfly pouches and now I mainly make cap pauls for my own use.

With 3d printed designs for selling to the local dog fraternity for water proof tennis ball slings.

But as i already make the best all round sling design on the planet - It will take something truly remarkable for me to change again Smiley

I'm pretty sure that I have alwaysb attached cords to pouches with loops that grip the sides of the pouch and don't stress the hole.
As someone who's been fishing since they were knee high to a gudgeon.
It's a way of attaching things I'd used  a lot.  So came naturally.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2021 at 3:35pm

I think it was like seven times. At first I was using paracord slings with just different pouches but then most of the changes were experiments on split braid slings until I figured out how to make actual balearic slings.
Now looking back at it, I spent the first year of slinging basically trying out different styles of throw and slings until I found what suits me the best. Now I am stuck on balearic sling and my version of balearic style which I can't seem to improve upon any further.
What an amazing journey and now it will continue with practice, practice and practice to get that accuracy! And of course trying to teach as many people as I can slinging!

IP Logged

offbeatbass
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

MN
Reply #7 - May 24th, 2021 at 4:29pm

almost every time i get new materiel to work with from leather pouches and paracord to fully braided belarics

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #8 - May 24th, 2021 at 4:35pm

I made my first balearic-ish sling out of 4-strand jute twine today.  What I didn't like about twine-made rather than fiber-made was that the sides of the pouch were only half as wide as the retention cord.  It seemed a bit unstable and prone to slip-through.  I got around that by splicing in more lengths of twine into the pre-pouch, pouch, and post-pouch area to make that thicker.  It seems to work okay so far; I just have to get used to it.  It was mainly a proof-of-concept experiment. 

After dinner tonight, I should have enough corn husks to fiddle around with braiding raw fiber without committing the money for sisal rope to disassemble.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - May 25th, 2021 at 1:01pm

you using the maize skins/wrappers or the 'silk' ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #10 - May 25th, 2021 at 1:53pm

The leafy part... pretty fibrous.  I've been drying them, tearing them into thin strips and twisting them into twine.  I figure if I braid them like esparto grass, I should be able to make a fairly feeble, short-lived sling and learn the skill without spending the money on the sisal.

The corn silk gets crumbly when dry, and it's what great-grandpa used to smoke on the farm. Cheesy

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - May 26th, 2021 at 3:50pm

@Sir Missalot: Really? Did he smoke the leaves by themselves or use the leaves as wrapping paper for something else?

To answer this question...let me see. Started with shoe string and cut up leather gloves. They were horrid. Then went with 3 strand braided apaches. Then peruvian slings and the paracord apaches. Finally the last big mental change was with a balearic sling which was quite nice. So really not all that much over the years.

I do have a design in mind that I think will be one I attach my name to. I think it could be quite interesting. More on that later though.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Jun 1st, 2021 at 8:39pm

Nope. Never changed my sling style ever. Got it exactly right the first time whistle

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)