Send Topic Print
A Ratty Veggie Garden (Read 3359 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
A Ratty Veggie Garden
May 19th, 2021 at 4:33pm

My garden is up and running.  It's been twenty five years since I've done this so I figured I'd make a few mistakes.  This year is sort of a shakedown cruise. 
    The first mistake I made is that I forgot that you're supposed to plant big pointy seeds like squash, pumpkin, watermelon, etc. with the point down.  Two of my five seedlings didn't take so I had to replant which put them a month behind the three that did sprout.  That didn't matter much.  Squash are very hearty... almost bullet proof. 
    My biggest error was planting all of the seedlings at the same time and watering them the same.  Tomatoes and cucumbers should have been planted first, then the peppers, then the squash.  The amount of watering I did was fine for the squash and pepper seedlings but I killed most of the tomato and cucumber sprouts.  So I had to buy a few already started plants. 
     Tilling new ground is terrible work.  If I had it to do over again I'd do a raised garden, but I toughed it out and got it done.
      My biggest concern is the wild critters. I live on a lake and I've been feeding the wildlife since I moved here.  The garden is completely fenced in and I've taken measures to protect my crop.  I expect to lose some... I just hope they leave me enough to make this a worthwhile thing to do year after year. 
    This year I went with stuff that's easy to grow in this sandy, acidy South Jersey soil.  I planted four Beefsteak Tomato, four Cherry Pepper, four Bell Pepper, three cucumber, and five Summer Squash plants.
    Bla, bla, bla... here's the pictures.

The first picture is the roots I wrestled out of the ground.  I should have added something to the picture for perspective so you could tell how really  huge the pile is.  Every one of those roots fought like hell. 
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2021 at 11:51am by Rat Man »  

Roots.jpg (138 KB | 27 )
Roots.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: A Ratty Veggie Garden
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2021 at 4:38pm

I use black ground cloth for a few reasons but mainly because I'm too lazy to do a lot of weeding.

Garden.jpg (334 KB | 28 )
Garden.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - May 19th, 2021 at 4:39pm

I put ten pinwheels on the fence to hopefully bother the wild critters.

Pinwheel.jpg (244 KB | 24 )
Pinwheel.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - May 19th, 2021 at 4:40pm

I borrowed my next door neighbor's fake owl to hopefully scare away potential thieves. I move the owl every few days so they'll be more apt to think it's real.

Owl.jpg (132 KB | 30 )
Owl.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - May 19th, 2021 at 4:40pm

Tomato plant...

Tomato.jpg (156 KB | 30 )
Tomato.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - May 19th, 2021 at 4:43pm

And lastly my compost heap.  It should be a mountain by mid Fall.  As most of you know I am extremely frugal.  Having a compost heap pleases me more that I thought it would.  My grass cuttings and household garbage will now be next year's food.  That works for me.

Compost.jpg (232 KB | 23 )
Compost.jpg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - May 26th, 2021 at 5:16pm

So jealous man. That looks awesome

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - May 28th, 2021 at 4:24pm

You'll have your garden someday Morphy.  I have my first blossoms.  These are Summer Squash.

Sq2a.jpg (126 KB | 22 )
Sq2a.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - May 28th, 2021 at 4:25pm

Sq2.jpg (106 KB | 23 )
Sq2.jpg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - May 31st, 2021 at 7:45am

At my old place we would throw out veggies into our compost heap and after the raccoons or possums got done with it we would find squash and other stuff sprouting all over the place. One we let set for awhile and it became quite a nice patch.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2021 at 1:57pm

We had a cold spell where it was going down to the mid forties for a few nights.  This caused my squash plants to drop some blossoms.  This isn't a major catastrophe though.  There are plenty of buds and three of my squash seedlings got planted a month later than the others due to an error of mine. (see above)  The dropped blossoms set me back a week or so, that's all. I'm still on track. 
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2021 at 12:38pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Jun 25th, 2021 at 3:20pm

My first veggie. Some of the squash and tomato plants have gotten huge so hopefully I'll have many more soon.

tom.jpg (318 KB | 18 )
tom.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Jun 25th, 2021 at 3:35pm

Having a compost heap is more fun than I expected.  It's like playing in the mud when you're a kid.  I'm making the biggest pile of rotting garbage possible.  What fun!! The compost heap is a living thing.  I have to water it whenever it gets dry and turn it over with a pitch fork every two weeks. It's hot to the touch... you can feel it cooking. I bury the household garbage inside the lawn clippings to keep the stink down for my neighbor's sake. 
Summer has just started and already it's pretty big.  By Fall the heap should be gigantic. 
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2021 at 7:11pm by Rat Man »  

Heap.jpg (313 KB | 14 )
Heap.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Jun 25th, 2021 at 7:12pm

g

g.jpg (379 KB | 14 )
g.jpg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Jun 26th, 2021 at 9:26am

Looking good man. In a month or two youre going to have more than you know what to do with. Hope your pressure cooker is ready lol.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)