Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slinging Big Stones - Impact Test (Read 2538 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Slinging Big Stones - Impact Test
May 16th, 2021 at 7:49pm

Here is the first of what will be several videos.  Probably 3 or 4 in total.  This is why my participation in posted challenges has been pretty slim.  For the past couple months I've been slinging big stones.  I have one last session to do, and a whole bunch of video to cut together yet.  That's why I'm not certain how many more videos there will be.  At least two, maybe three.

I'll say this.  After hours of slinging great big stones, this definitely falls in to the category of activities that will make you sore in places you weren't aware that you could get sore.

Enjoy folks!

https://youtu.be/l69mNhC96y8

Gold star award wining post

« Last Edit: May 20th, 2021 at 12:35pm by Curious Aardvark »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Slinging Big Stones - Impact Test
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2021 at 10:26pm

You sir...are a beautiful, beautiful man. Lol!

First of all...5 lbs? Are you insane??? That hurt just watching you sling. And with a 33 inch sling?????    WTF!

I was also surprised that poor target lasted that long.

Also wanted to extrapolate from this video. That was a herculean effort from an admittedly big dude. And you got it moving but imagine slinging that from a raised castle while on top of 40 ft walls. Gravity will get those stones moving so fast it would be instant death on impact. Brutal man. I cannot wait for your next video. You really make some of the best slinging videos out there.

You know what would be cool to see? An arm bone analogue taped to the back of that piece of wood. Then use a long sling and a big stone to see if you can shatter it. Anyways, great stuff!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #2 - May 16th, 2021 at 10:57pm

The throw at 14:00 was 242J!  The one at 16:20 was 280 J!! 

That's nuts. No f'n way the receiving end of that doesn't hurt their arm/shoulder from being hit by that.

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #3 - May 16th, 2021 at 11:24pm

Nice Joe!  There is some serious energy in those stones!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2021 at 11:30pm

The 2244g stone had a momentum of 35.4552 kg·m/s when you slang it 15.8m/s. Now that is terrifying.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - May 17th, 2021 at 8:50am

Thanks all!  Those biggest stones really rocked that target back (no pun intended).  I didn't think to take a picture, but the legs on the back left some pretty huge divots in the yard.  When it was getting knocked into the air, I started to wonder if it might fall over without breaking.

Morphy wrote on May 16th, 2021 at 10:26pm:
You know what would be cool to see? An arm bone analogue taped to the back of that piece of wood.

If you know where I can get one, I'll do it.  I ran a search but most of what I see is a replica for the size and shape of an arm bone, but not the strength.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2021 at 4:06pm

Pigs are often used as human analogues. That would be my first choice. The arm would have to be secured in such a way as to simulate muscles tensing the arm against the impact of a large stone. Too limp an attachment and energy transfer would probably not be too impressive.

Im just thinking out loud here though. I had no intention of you actually doing that lol. It would be cool though.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - May 17th, 2021 at 4:58pm

I used to sling 500g rocks and it woukd take a week to recover. Those stones are insane! Awesome video!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - May 17th, 2021 at 8:22pm

Morphy wrote on May 17th, 2021 at 4:06pm:
Pigs are often used as human analogues. That would be my first choice. The arm would have to be secured in such a way as to simulate muscles tensing the arm against the impact of a large stone. Too limp an attachment and energy transfer would probably not be too impressive.

Im just thinking out loud here though. I had no intention of you actually doing that lol. It would be cool though.

Mythbusters often used poplar dowels to simulate human bones.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - May 17th, 2021 at 8:53pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on May 17th, 2021 at 8:22pm:
Morphy wrote on May 17th, 2021 at 4:06pm:

Ahh yes that would be a nice, inexpensive way to do it.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - May 17th, 2021 at 11:14pm

Kick wrote on May 17th, 2021 at 4:58pm:
I used to sling 500g rocks and it woukd take a week to recover.

The strangest thing I've gotten from this is a sore achilles tendon on my left foot.  Which does make sense because it's my plant foot.  But not pain like a strain or other injury.  Just sore like a worked muscle that hasn't lifted weight for a while.  Very strange feeling that I don't recall having before.

Morphy wrote on May 17th, 2021 at 8:53pm:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on May 17th, 2021 at 8:22pm:

Ahh yes that would be a nice, inexpensive way to do it.

I talked to a friend tonight about this and he brought that up too.  I'm going to look it up and see if I can get more specifics on their setup.

My thought is this, if I did the same setup with a plywood target, some padding, and a dowel rod, I don't see any way that the dowel would break unless the board target itself broke.  If that's the case, maybe bone would also be in that category.

But it's worth an experiment.  Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2021 at 4:43pm

I think it would definitely depend on how the arm is positioned.  Also I wonder if it would be difficult to make a fairly close shield replica to shoot at? I cant imagine their shields were the equivalent of modern day 1/2 inch plywood in terms of rigidity were they? I mean I guess? Seems really heavy to lug around the entire battle though. Another question while Im at it, is it possible a sheet of plywood as large as that is absorbing some of the energy? What kind of damage would it show if it was a quarter that size? Just curious. It might actually be the opposite.

Then there is the question of what weight is best? Sure 5 lbs is a crazy amount of weight but if you can sling 5lbs as fast as you did wouldnt you be able to sling 8-10 ounces quite fast? Thats still a huge stone. What would be the most destructive weight?

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #12 - May 18th, 2021 at 5:58pm

I'd just like to say I really enjoyed the video. Those were some giant stones you threw, and the concussion through the wood was impressive!

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #13 - May 18th, 2021 at 8:52pm

Thanks Albion!  There is quite a bit more to come.

@Morphy - You bring up a lot of good points, and a lot of good questions.  Some of them I hope to get answers for in these tests I'm doing.  I'll try to touch on some of the things you brought up.

Regarding close replica shields for testing, I'm not sure.  There have been so many shields of different shapes and sizes, I think we'd need to start with a specific design, and decide how closely it would need to be replicated.  For some tests a simple circular piece of wood might be sufficient.  For other tests, more might be required.

If we look at any shields in history, I'll always argue that they were great.  These weren't things put together on the spur of the moment.  They were tools that evolved over centuries (obviously shields have been used for millennia, but I don't know how much influence really old ones may have had on less older ones over long periods of time).  And they were built to defend against the weapons of the time they existed in.

You asked about a larger sheet of plywood absorbing energy.  The answer to that is absolutely.  Not only does it have more mass to absorb energy, but being a large sheet, it's also going to be more flexible and therefore less likely to develop a break.  After I got the data from my video, I tried to determine what the impact force was.  Unfortunately that turned out to be way more involved than I expected.  It was ultimately impossible because I would need to get the distance and time of the board's movement to determine the deceleration of the stone, and I don't currently have a way to get that information with any kind of accuracy.

I'm getting quite fascinated with this impact testing.  You asked about smaller stones and what an optimal weight might be.  That's something I'll probably start looking into once all this big stone stuff is done.  But there is an aspect of that question that I already have some information on.  If I was going to set up my test again, and the goal would be to break a hole through the board, I would probably go with a stone in the 600g to 800g range.  Small enough to still get good velocity, and also small enough to break a hole to fit through.  If I wanted to destroy the entire target, then the larger stones are best because of so much weight crashing into it.  It may be noticed in the video that I didn't show any close-up shots of the 2244g stone hit damage.  It's because there wasn't much visible surface damage.  The stone was big and wide, so it wasn't concentrating that power into a small area.  Instead all that weight destroyed the leg supports.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - May 18th, 2021 at 10:27pm

Hey man if you get a chance to stop by IG I would love to run something by you.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy)