Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New toy....Muzzleloader (Read 948 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
New toy....Muzzleloader
May 13th, 2021 at 5:07am

Here is a new toy i got. Unfortunately right now its in pieces like a jigsaw puzzle.  But over the summer i shall try to put it together.  Its a 54 cal, Hawkin style replica muzzleloader.  The same style that the Rocky mountain free trappers used in the early 1820s. I always wanted one. Plus u dont need a background check, and government has no idea about it.   

It is big enough to put down a moose if i need to, hopefully by fall i will have all the black powder and ammo done for it.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: New toy....Muzzleloader
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2021 at 6:16am

They have a kick like a mule.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - May 13th, 2021 at 7:39am

they are fun to shoot !

I once shot a 4 bore elephant gun.
Hell I even hit the clay pigeon Smiley

Enormous BOOM, huge cloud of smoke - a grin on my face that stayed for days and a bruise on my shoulder that lasted a couple of weeks !

Problem is I shoot a rifle left handed (I'm mostly ambidxtrous) and the majority of guns are for right handed shooting.
It makes more of a difference than you'd think.

The 4 bore rifle was taller than me ! 
I suspect there's a pic on here somewhere.

Yeah the laws on 'antique' and black powder guns are weird - even over here, you don't need a licence to own them.

As long as the gun uses seperate propellant charge and bullet. IE: not a modern all-in-one cartridge, you don't need a licence.

But you do need a licence to buy the black powder.

If you make it yourself - then you can still legally own totally unlicenced firearms.

And the laws on making black powder are simply that you should not make more than 8oz at a time.

Not sure what the laws are on making nitrocellulose (so called: smokeless powder).
But as it and BP are propellants and NOT explosives.

The difference is that explosives are detonated and propellants simply combust very fast and give off large volumes of gas.

The law is Probably the same.

You're gonna have some fun with that ryan Thumbs Up

Mind you the things you can do with percussion caps and black powder and slings - also much fun - but bloody dangerous !

I did NOT just encourage you to make impact grenades - No I did NOT !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2021 at 7:59am

Always wanted one. They seem like a lot of fun and its more sporting. Where did you get it from?

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2021 at 9:49am

I came really close to buying one of those a few years ago. Gorgeous guns and they point well for me. The kentucky long rifles (Davy Crockett's gun) are pretty but too long for me. I haven't checked to see if black powder has gotten as much of a run as everything else but I've heard of more guys getting into it since ammo for anything else is expensive (if you can find it).

Looks like it'll be a great project.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - May 13th, 2021 at 2:42pm

Awesome gun.  Lots of power.  Congrats.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #6 - May 13th, 2021 at 2:53pm

I might be able to talk my neighbor into making grenades.  I have never used it, only reading about em. And watching some videos. Another reason i got it, is due to the ammo shortage.  I have all the lead melting equipment. Just need BP, which i priced out is very cheap.

I picked it up at Dixie Guns Works. Very reputable place. People are very nice even if u call them.

My parents are comimg up for visit, this summer. I talked to my dad. We are gonna work on it as a project together,  with my nieces and nephews as well. A few are homeschooled so it might help with a class. I might be able to shoot it this summer.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - May 13th, 2021 at 3:45pm

You'll want to tread lightly there Vet. We can detonate BP and tannerite ok but the feds take a very dim view of citizens playing with "destructive devices". I knew some teens who caught a felony for playing with molotovs. They were just fooling around, no arson, no assault, reasonable safety precautions, feds didn't care.

Where the line is between a "impact firework" and a "destructive device" is I would research veeeerrrrry carefully. If it was legally fine though sling + ketchum grenade sounds like a great time.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2021 at 5:14pm

Blackpowder guns are fantastic! I've got a few but haven't shot them for a while now.
Here's a little video I made a while back with my Brown Bess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf7dSZzX1v0&t=1s
Nowadays I can handle four shots per minute, and I can tell you it's a lot of fun! The barrel gets extremely hot very quickly though...

I hope you enjoy your new rifle! But watch out, because it's one of those things that once you get into, there's no going back...

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #9 - May 15th, 2021 at 5:00am

I am surrounded by 1000 of privately owned acres.  Plus my one neighbor is a firearms dealer with i belive explosives certification.  I can really get into trouble with him. Lol. But he will check my firearm kits i put together just in case,  cuz i dont want it blowing up.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - May 16th, 2021 at 1:05pm

my kind of neighbour Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)