Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Accuracy with Handguns (I swear it's about slinging) (Read 1789 times)
Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Accuracy with Handguns (I swear it's about slinging)
Reply #15 - May 13th, 2021 at 3:29am

thought experiment : if we had a handgun on a stick, with barrel perpendicular to the stick. the stick having the length of a sling. would we be able to be more precise than with a sling? (ammo consistency and sling type are important factors that I ignore in this thought experiment)

I think that a sling might be easier because its movement projects towards the target, a handgun on a stick being stationary before shooting would be far more difficult to guess the correct angle of the wrist to hit the target.

what do you think?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - May 13th, 2021 at 7:07am

a handgun on  a stick is a carbine rifle.
ie: a short barrelled rifle.

The classic examples would be the german schmeisser - a machine pistol with a fold out stock. And the mauser where the wooden holster, can be attached to the gunn butt to make a longer stock and lets the gun be fired almost like a carbine.
https://www.afg-defense.eu/replica-pistol-mauser-c-96-nemecko-wood/

As a general rule that kind of thing makes a pistol more accurate.

This is because your brain has a much longer straight line to sight along and extrapolate the bullet's path with.
And the pistol can be held a lot steadier.

Though what you are suggesting is probably to hold it one handed.
Where the weight is the main factor, so you can't really draw any correlation to how a sling works.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #17 - May 13th, 2021 at 8:10am

Sarosh wrote on May 13th, 2021 at 3:29am:
thought experiment : if we had a handgun on a stick, with barrel perpendicular to the stick. the stick having the length of a sling. would we be able to be more precise than with a sling? (ammo consistency and sling type are important factors that I ignore in this thought experiment)

I think that a sling might be easier because its movement projects towards the target, a handgun on a stick being stationary before shooting would be far more difficult to guess the correct angle of the wrist to hit the target.

what do you think?

Im thinking probably not. But thats a tough one. This is the difference between true instinctive shooting like you would do with a sling or this hypothetical worlds worst handgun vs just saying one is shooting instinctive as some say with a bow. When you really have no visual cues to aim with its pretty difficult. Interesting question though.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #18 - May 13th, 2021 at 12:42pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 13th, 2021 at 7:07am:
a handgun on  a stick is a carbine rifle.

the barrel is perpendicular to the stick.

The purpose of this thought experiment is to compare accuracy of the sling with some of its complexities vs something we know we can be very accurate and consistent with but is shot from as much distance from the eyes as the sling's projectile and is "aimed" stationary in contrast with a sling.

the thought experiment more simply:
a sling vs an insta-shot-sling

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #19 - May 13th, 2021 at 3:54pm

Sarosh - I get your visualization, and it's a good analogy.  I shoot a lot of pistol, and the answer isn't just No, but Good Gracious NO!

Other than point-shooting which is making the pistol an extension of your arm and semi-instinctive, the way to aim a pistol is to line up the target, front sight, rear sight, and dominant eye.  Neither of those can be done with the pistol five feet to your side.

Even though I miss a lot with a sling, your analogy makes me feel better about it.

Thank you!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #20 - May 14th, 2021 at 1:30am

@Sarosh That is an interesting thought. Instinctive shooting from the side. I think it wouldn't be too much different than instinctive shooting from the hip in terms of not being able to "aim" (using sights).

I agree, it makes me feel better about missing (a bit).

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15)