Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rockman vs Balearic slings (Read 1518 times)
quentonium
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Rockman vs Balearic slings
May 10th, 2021 at 4:35am

Over the past few months, I made a few rockman slings out of both synthetic and natural cordage and while I love the design, I'm wondering if there is any significant advantages disadvantages between the Rockman and the Balearic design.

Have spools of #18 and #36 tarred bankline arriving in Tuesday and wanted to see if it was worth it trying out the Balearic template or if there isn't really much difference compared to the Rockman, as I'm now very familiar with that template.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Rockman vs Balearic slings
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2021 at 5:10am

I don't think anyone would be able to say definitively that one is better than the other. There are so many factors that go into a sling that we think potentially affect the shot, but that we don't have hard data to back up. Everyone could have a different opinion and be right. The way I see it, slings have been used around the world for thousands of years. If there truly was one design that was the best, it would have made itself known by now. I think the differences are too small to have a truly significant effect. Saying that, I think it would definitely be worth it to try out a Balearic. Making and then using a sling is the best way to find out what works for you and helps with understanding how a sling works.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2021 at 6:22am

Kick wrote on May 10th, 2021 at 5:10am:
I don't think anyone would be able to say definitively that one is better than the other. There are so many factors that go into a sling that we think potentially affect the shot, but that we don't have hard data to back up. Everyone could have a different opinion and be right.

Probably the “most” correct answer you are going to get to this question was your first response.

That being said-

I’ve been using a Balearic from IG for awhile. I was a bit too harsh on it and the release cord broke. No problem, easy fix but it made me want to get out an old rockman and compare the feel.

The transition area from cord to pouch is what I call the “fades”. It’s a bow building term but it fits here as well. The fades on the Balearic sling are a big difference to this rockman. One is quite thick and doesn’t allow a huge amount of lateral movement. The other is thin and can feel like it rocks back and forth.

The Balearic definitely feels more stable but in terms of accuracy I don’t know if it makes a huge difference or not yet. I did use the rockman last night and although the feel is...for lack of better words...a little more sloppy, I seemed to be just as accurate with it.

Now don’t get me wrong here! This means nothing. Feel means nothing because every person with every weapon is going to have a different feel for a weapon and swear by their own experience. And even more so I wholeheartedly admit that this particular session with this rockman was a grand total of 20 shots max.

So I need to go out and try it some more with different ammo.

That being said, my conclusion from last nights practice session is that given the choice I would take a Balearic but I saw no huge difference in accuracy in the Rockman. **BUT** I would also not be surprised if after several weeks of comparison I threw that opinion in the garbage heap. The balearic definitely feels better, so 20 shots is nothing in terms of comparison.

There are some other questions I have...for example the other major characteristics that seem to really define the balearic sling is the large, inflexible retention cord and the overall inflexibility (when compared to say paracord) of the fibers themselves.  The nature of sisal like fibers for being both extremely coarse and inflexible seems to add a high degree of internal friction making the pouch also relatively stable and resistant to changing split opening size once set for the ammo.

It’s a very interesting design, but after using it I believe all of those characteristics can be applied to other designs, possibly even without using Sisal or other stiff fibers or the basic balearic design in general.

IP Logged

quentonium
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2021 at 6:22am

Kick wrote on May 10th, 2021 at 5:10am:
I don't think anyone would be able to say definitively that one is better than the other. There are so many factors that go into a sling that we think potentially affect the shot, but that we don't have hard data to back up. Everyone could have a different opinion and be right. The way I see it, slings have been used around the world for thousands of years. If there truly was one design that was the best, it would have made itself known by now. I think the differences are too small to have a truly significant effect. Saying that, I think it would definitely be worth it to try out a Balearic. Making and then using a sling is the best way to find out what works for you and helps with understanding how a sling works.

Thanks for the input, kick.

What do you think would be the ideal thickness for cordage when making a Balearic sling? Reason I picked up those sizes of TBL was because the Rockman I made with 550 Paracord @ 4mm felt overly heavy and clunky, so I wanted to try using something in the 1mm & 2mm range

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - May 10th, 2021 at 7:58am

quentonium wrote on May 10th, 2021 at 6:22am:
What do you think would be the ideal thickness for cordage when making a Balearic sling?

I have absolutely no idea Cheesy There's just so little that's been definitively proven about... well... almost any aspect of slinging. It's all come down to personal preference.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - May 10th, 2021 at 1:21pm

IMO the thinner pouch of the Balearic Sling and consequent less air resistance makes it slightly faster than the Rockman, giving it a little more distance and power.  The advantage of the Rockman is that it is more versatile in that it can throw a wider range of projectile sizes.  Also, at least for me the Rockman is less apt to let go of a projectile prematurely.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6 - May 10th, 2021 at 1:40pm

My view is that the balearic sling is much more dependant on having thick braids in/around the pouch and is thus superior with larger ammo and likely a more stable (and possibly a more accurate) sling.

The rockman has a much more built up pouch and can make do with thinner cords and less stability, possibly more appropriate for smaller ammunition and longer cords.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2021 at 2:53pm

I personally am not a fan of the rockman pouch as it cup shaped and doesn't open flat.
I think Balearic slings are largely designed the way they are as easy means of making an effective sling from loose fibre.
If yarns were as cheap and accessible to us as it was to them, then the slings would probably look completely different.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

quentonium
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2021 at 6:06pm

Thanks for the input, everyone.

I'll definitely give the balearic a shot with my #18; don't think it would work too well with the 2mm diameter of the #36, which I think is more suitable for rockman's design.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris)