Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Sling technicalities rant (Read 4356 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Sling technicalities rant
Reply #30 - May 14th, 2021 at 4:18pm

Well I use both thin floppy cords and a wide grip but I think I get pretty decent results.

For me I think that the slinger is more important than the sling or projectile.

You can’t cheat slinging, practice wins over equipment.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #31 - May 14th, 2021 at 9:20pm

Mersa wrote on May 14th, 2021 at 4:18pm:
Well I use both thin floppy cords and a wide grip but I think I get pretty decent results.

For me I think that the slinger is more important than the sling or projectile.

You can’t cheat slinging, practice wins over equipment.

👆this.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #32 - May 14th, 2021 at 9:28pm

Turtles. Am I right or what?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #33 - May 17th, 2021 at 5:34pm

Here is a counter point to your theory J:

A “floppy” asymmetric sling with 3mm cords produced a really nice rifled spiral:

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #34 - May 17th, 2021 at 6:43pm

I’m convinced a lot of these theory threads are murky. It seems you have to read them several times to understand what fixing the supposed problem that is presented is meant to fix.

I’m still not 100% if this thread is ultimately making the claim that reducing both longitudinal and radial “oscillations” makes for the most accurate sling.

If it’s not that I don’t know what else it’s claiming.

Think about it... there’s basically three aspects of slinging. Target, Hunting, Distance.

Nothing in this thread seems to indicate it’s about distance throwing. Hunting sling theory tends to be more focused on the practical aspects like length, speed of wind up and of course a mixture of power and accuracy. But I don’t see that here.

It would seem it’s about target throwing. But if that’s the case there’s a very, very easy way to prove one’s theory. Head on over to the Max Accuracy thread and show what that sling design can do. Either it provides an observable benefit or it doesn’t. If it does and if one is good enough to make use of that benefit and therefore prove it exists to your slinging peers, it will take exactly one post to get that ball rolling.

Really...it is SO easy. It doesn’t take 3 pages of questions and answers. It takes approx. 10 minutes of throwing at most.

So what is the hold up? I don’t think it should fall on others to post videos proving something wrong. Because I can post theories much faster than a person can disprove said theories. It should fall on the person making the claim to do something to back it up.

Ok, PHEW. I looked at the title and it said rant so damnit I ranted! /Morphy Out  Wink

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #35 - May 17th, 2021 at 7:21pm

I think a big problem is that accuracy can mean two totally different things to two different people. It depends on the projectiles they practice with. Practically any sling is capable of consistent, laser accuracy as long as the projectiles one is practicing with are exactly the same in weight and shape. As long as the projectiles are consistent, then the oscillations can be consistent and predictable.
However,
If you throw projectiles that vary wildly in shape and weight, then having a sling that resists oscillations is a great benefit. This is common sense, as any change in weight or shape of the projectile causes the sling to oscillate differently. By making a sling twist resistant, one is alleviating a variable to some extent.
I almost exclusively practice with random stones, and so it is no surprise to me that my most accurate ones (in this context) are twist resistant and resist oscillations.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #36 - May 17th, 2021 at 9:13pm

I agree to some extent AS.

"If" such a sling is more forgiving it would be a nice plus. I also think its likely that if any sling were to be more forgiving it would not surprise me if it was one that remains static as much as possible within the throw.

That being said I think when discussing large differences in weight and shape we need to be careful how much credit we give to the sling. Truly large differences in shape are beyond any slings ability to help. Too many things happen after leaving the sling for what happens in the sling to matter.

Obviously the poorly shaped ammos weight plays a big role in this but things get really complicated because its, imo, proportional to the speed being slung and how poorly its shaped.

Heavier ammo thats poorly shaped shouldnt plane as much in the air because its naturally harder to sling very fast and it should be more resistant to change in direction anyways. So it sort of helps itself in that regard. So we get all sorts of variables up to and including the slingers own strength.

Then you have the problem of ammo rolling out of the sling when said ammo being poorly shaped may take a fraction of a second longer than another stone. Such differences make a big difference in point of impact but are almost impossible to adjust for during the throw. Nor could one even know in what way they would have to adjust until after the stone shows us after which it would be too late. Was it you, or perhaps JudoP who defined it as a "zero feedback loop"? Its a perfect way to look at it imo.  Let me add my own term- "Shrodingers Slingstone".   Wink

Mostly though from what ive seen and maybe this is just me, but if a stone is relatively heavy and relative round its going to be , wait for it(!), relatively accurate.  Grin

And really, relatively accurate regardless of whether im using a paracord sling with a wide grip or a stiff balearic sling. On the other hand if its poorly shaped Im not going to be accurate with it in comparison, regardless of sling type.

These are my thoughts from my own experiences. Your mileage may vary.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #37 - May 18th, 2021 at 12:07am

NOOC. If you think thats countering my theories you have not read them properly
In another video I posted I used a paracord noodle sling with a tight grip and spiralled properly.
I used light ammo. The sling had some oscillations with it, but not unmanageable.
Paracord is a nice even round braid. it's quite twist resistant for relatively light ammo. A lot better than badly twisted cords at least.

And of course I can even get a spiral shot with badly twisted cords ocassionally. Even with a very heavy rock, and greek style, without multiple rotations, and a wide grip. Someof these things help to overcome the bad cords somewhat. They're like bandaids. I can even get it sometimes with a tight grip, heavy rocks and thin, twisted cords and Balaeric style. But overall its far from as consistent or clean as a well balanced sling + projectile set up. So a clip means nothing.

The simple and well backed idea is that the ammo has to be well balanced for the sling. Of course you can use really floppy and thin slings. But to prevent unwanted oscillations then requires quite light projectiles and a very wide grip. There's a reason you don't see Balaeric slingers use small twisted cords for their 200+ gram rocks and their way of throwing. It isn't consistent.  IF they were we would all be using them. Much more aerodynamic, easy to make and portable. But alas, it doesn't sling as consistent for the rocks many like, so they use thicker slings.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #38 - May 18th, 2021 at 5:45am

One of my favorite Einstein quotes is "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."

Ive always found that to be true.

So J, real simply man...

In one sentence tell us what benefit low oscillations of a sling gives you that cant be gotten from a wider grip and paracord. Keep it real short.

Its not "stones flying out of the pouch at random times"  because I know for a fact that isnt a problem with paracord and heavy stones. Just one sentence man.

There seems to be an issue of trying to get simple answers from you and instead getting  a very long answer that tells us less and makes things more confusing than one sentence.

And please dont say "low oscillations are good because they oscillate less" there also seems to be a good amount of circular reasoning and assuming the conclusion throughout these posts that combined with winding explanations and no proof lead no where.

Let's set aside the "stones leave the pouch more randomly with paracord etc. Thats simply not the case. So what is it?

Lastly if it seems like im being harsh here its only because I tend to be one of the more eager to discuss theories guys on here. And even I am exhausted at this point trying to get you to make a simple assertion and then make a simple video proving said assertion. If im at that point I can only imagine others have all but given up on these conversations.

This should be the easiest thing in the world and should actually be rather fun. Make your conclusion, I can then go out and test it myself and see if your results match mine. This is the heart of the scientific method and the only thing that can really prove youre right or wrong.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #39 - May 18th, 2021 at 8:53am

I think there’s a false correlation between grip width and cord stiffness in this conversation. If we’re being scientific, we should be isolating variables, not combining them. For clarity’s sake, my retention cord and release cord were 1 finger’s width apart in the video above. That’s not a wide grip.

We’re not picking on you J. I actually enjoy talking theory when it leads to understanding. I question and test any theories including my own for that reason. There’s a long history of slinging theories on the forum, and most of them are nearly useless for improving people’s ability to actually use a sling. Your theories make specific claims that are testable, so I tested them. I am more accurate with a flexible sling than a stiff one.  That means your theory is either incorrect or incomplete because your assertions are disproven by evidence.   

I would be more than happy to continue the conversation and discuss what differences really do exist between stiff and flexible cords, narrow and wide grips, etc. I believe these variables do matter, but the slinger and style do too.  We just need to refine the explanation of why and how they all matter relative to each other. It would help also to not insist so strongly that one set of parameters is universally “better” until we can also demonstrate that with evidence.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #40 - May 18th, 2021 at 11:37am

Explain to me how a wide grip is equally as secure as a tight grip. I do not believe.
You all seem tired of my explanations, so I want yours. Please explain how very floppy small diameter cords
provide as much pouch angle control as thicker and denser cords. I've explained why this is not the case.
Explain me why you think otherwise, explain me why so many slingers use stiffer and heavier cords
if it doesn't matter at all, and why they should all be using the simpler, lighter and thinner cords.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #41 - May 18th, 2021 at 11:42am

I want to reiterate since my last post was quite pointed...I like these theories J. I think they have merit. I also think theres a good possibility theres some truth to them. But I strongly encourage you to show proof and I find the lack of brevity in your answering simple questions and the lack of videos showing real testing/proof to be a big roadblock to progression.

Quite simply if you truly believed you had the answers you would have been jumping to provide proof rather than doing everything you can to not do so. Youve posted other slinging videos in the last few days, whats stopping you from taking 10-20 unedited shots at a small target?

You see the problem right? Your extreme enthusiasm in theorizing doesnt line up with your refusal to provide any proof of said theories. It makes people wonder. And rightly so imo.
This is basically the target thread version of Apocs 700 meter throws. This thread and many others. Sorry man. Got to say it. Still think youre a great guy and love your enthusiam to learn but you put yourself out there as having it all figured out and never, ever provide proof. Its very frustrating.  Huh

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #42 - May 18th, 2021 at 12:25pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on May 18th, 2021 at 11:37am:
Explain me why you think otherwise, explain me why so many slingers use stiffer and heavier cords
if it doesn't matter at all, and why they should all be using the simpler, lighter and thinner cords.

People believed that illness was caused by imbalances in the humors of the body for thousands of years. Just because people think or act a certain way or use a certain sling doesn't mean much. Evidence. It's all that matters.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #43 - May 18th, 2021 at 1:46pm

Technically, a bent stick with a string is a possible weapon.  Is it therefore optimal.  It depends for what.  But my claim to a bow is different.  This also applies to a sling.  It's easy to make.  But my use and my claim require something different.  I can pass on my experience.  I can explain something and also show it.  If someone tells me something doesn't work, I can believe it or check it out.  The Latin calls this facta locuuntur.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #44 - May 21st, 2021 at 3:11pm

I wonder why some slings have a stiffer cradle than the stiffness utilized in the cords. I can't seem to figure out the use of this and I cannot think of extra benefits. Currently I believe that for the sake of simplification, the same stiffness is best used throughout the length of the whole sling, according my theories regarding oscillations, pouch and spin angles and accuracy. Why? It is very simple. Lets assume that the stiffness of a sling and the projectile weight/size/shape determines the amount of oscillation, which is best kept at a minimum, but not fully eliminated, like I explained in my theories.

If we could define to stiffness a figure, than a sling, which is a cord, is only as stiff as its weakest 'link'.  Thus having a much stiffer pouch than the cords does not make sense for me. The stiffer pouch needs heavier rocks
to overcome resistance, and this stiffer pouch has an ideal weight of projectile for opening without too much delay or interference. But because the cords are not as stiff as the pouch, the cords have a different ideal projectile weight to combat too much oscillations. Thus, the ideal weight of projectile for the pouch is now no longer the same ideal projectile for the stiffness of the cords. Assuming that the ideal projectile weight to minimize oscillations is also the ideal for opening the sling without too much delay. Thus, a sling with a pouch much stiffer than the cords, either has a stone that is too heavy for the cords to minimize oscillation, or  a stone too light for the pouch to open without too much delay.

Of course, these kind of ''imperfections'' are theoretical, and habit, practice and what one is used to is probably more important.
It's just more theory to add on to my theory, but it's something to think about. I guess what it boils down to
is that according to my theories, that ideally a sling has an equally stiff factor throughout.

I know this almost is starting to sound like I am trolling, but I am not, these thoughts just entered my brain the last 5 minutes as I was slinging and comparing a sling that has a stiffer pouch than the cords, and with a sling that has an equal stiffness throughout its length. The latter felt ''better'' to me and I started wondering why.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)