Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
What is the best sling you have ever made? (Read 3432 times)
JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: What is the best sling you have ever made?
Reply #15 - May 9th, 2021 at 11:38am

Duckhands wrote on May 8th, 2021 at 6:34pm:
JudoP wrote on May 6th, 2021 at 9:02am:
The first one is my woolen apache sling. It's probably the best looking sling I've made and feels great too. It's not actually the most difficult or time consuming sling I've made, and is easier than you'd think to make.

Second one is one that I use a lot, It's pretty plain as a balearic compared to others I've made, but something about it is just right. Feels great to throw with, very comfortable, just the right amount of stiffness for me, and will handle a huge range of ammo sizes successfully with about as good accuracy as you will get. It's hemp fibre with synthetic hemp fibre in the tail.

Third up is a recent invention I've made. I used it enough now and I can say it has excellent performance, great pouch safety and ok twist resist with big rocks and very light/clean release on small angular ammo. This is probably my top performing compact sling.

I might have to try and convince you into a trade at some point. I love the looks of both of yours, as well as many others in this thread

For sure, drop me a PM. Might be a bit slow getting one made at the mo but I'm up for it.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - May 10th, 2021 at 12:25am

I made a couple Balearics I really like. The pouch on this one is covered with a thin hemp braid instead of leather.

20200412_082331.jpg (4992 KB | 31 )
20200412_082331.jpg

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #17 - May 10th, 2021 at 4:03am

Wow! That's so pretty! Interesting to see how the braid holds up compared to leather.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #18 - May 10th, 2021 at 4:05am

Kick wrote on May 10th, 2021 at 4:03am:
Wow! That's so pretty! Interesting to see how the braid holds up compared to leather.

Leater slings are easy to make, but braided slings are much better in my opinion.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - May 10th, 2021 at 9:22am

Damn! That's a cool pouch!

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - May 10th, 2021 at 7:42pm

@
Kick

The hemp braid won't last near as long, but easy to replace  Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - May 10th, 2021 at 7:43pm

@
SerKraus

Thanks!

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
My new best.
Reply #22 - May 10th, 2021 at 8:04pm

I decided to try an all jute sling. With the exception of my leather wrapped finger loop. This is my first time using the 5 strand flat "sling braid" and I gotta say I see why you guys love it. When I weaved my pouch I put more cord strands on the outer most weft for each side, then the mid weft is a strand narrower, and the inner most weft is only one strand thick. How well it made the pouch overlap, and cradle the ammo made me skip my leather wrap on the pouch. The pouch contors are perfect IMO. I also went more basic on the release knot end. Typically I make it easy to grip from multiple points, to accomodate different hands/grips, but I made this one only for me and my grip. It is also one of my shortest slings at only 26" so the accuracy is on point. I hit my bulls eye three times in a row on my first test throws. Which for me is an accomplishment. I also added the little red whipping knots near the pouch to make it easy to see the pouch alignment. This one gives me about 3 new sling ideas to try too. So we will see haha. I also realized that for my grip I need my release end to be about half an inch longer from the edge of the pouch to the knot than from the edge of the pouch to the bottom of my finger loop. It makes everything center perfect when held ready.
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2021 at 9:26am by Duckhands »  

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Re: My new best.
Reply #23 - May 11th, 2021 at 2:11am

Duckhands wrote on May 10th, 2021 at 8:04pm:
I decided to try an all jute sling. With the exception of my leather wrapped finger loop. This is my first time using the 5 strand flat "sling braid" and I gotta say I see why you guys love it. When I weaved my pouch I put more cord strands on the outer most weft for each side, then the mid weft is a strand narrower, and the inner most weft is only one strand thick. How well it made the pouch overlap, and cradle the ammo made me skip my leather wrap on the pouch. The pouch contors are perfect IMO. I also went more basic on the release knot end. Typically I make it easy to grip from multiple points, to accomodate different hands/grips, but I made this one only for me and my grip. It is also one of my shortest slings at only 22" so the accuracy is on point. I hit my bulls eye three times in a row on my first test throws. Which for me is an accomplishment. I also added the little red whipping knots near the pouch to make it easy to see the pouch alignment. This one gives me about 3 new sling ideas to try too. So we will see haha.

looks great

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #24 - May 11th, 2021 at 3:12am

Yeah duck you do make a pretty sling

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #25 - May 11th, 2021 at 6:58am

Im not a big fan of jute but that sure is pretty.  Smiley

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #26 - May 11th, 2021 at 7:45am

Morphy wrote on May 11th, 2021 at 6:58am:

Why not ?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #27 - May 11th, 2021 at 7:48am

MikeG wrote on May 11th, 2021 at 7:45am:

Why not ?

Ive had experiences where its broken easily. But my jute looked very dry and weak compared to his. His actually looks quite good.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #28 - May 11th, 2021 at 9:21am

Morphy wrote on May 11th, 2021 at 7:48am:
MikeG wrote on May 11th, 2021 at 7:45am:

Why not ?

Ive had experiences where its broken easily. But my jute looked very dry and weak compared to his. His actually looks quite good.

I have had a similar experience with jute, yet it was a jute hemp mix, so I figured maybe the differences in strength and stiffness made the jute wear faster. This type of braid seems likely to make the rub wear happen slower. I gave it a healthy dose of my sling wax too. I will keep posted as to how it holds up. As far as how it feels in use, and accuracy, it is my best yet.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #29 - May 11th, 2021 at 9:30am

If you look close at the loose ends of the release cord in the first picture, you can see one strand is blackend at the tio. I was showing my brother how my wax not only conditions the rope but makes a smoke free slow burning wick out of the ends. Works great for starting my charcoal lol

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)