Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Living off the Land in the Wild (Read 2505 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Living off the Land in the Wild
Reply #15 - May 3rd, 2021 at 8:28pm

We have an insane amount of acorns of all sorts here in South Jersey in the late Summer and early Fall.  Some years they are so plentiful that they clog the sewer grates.  I mentioned before that years ago I tried processing them whole with no success.  I'm going to attempt it again this year, but this time I'll crush them like you're supposed to.  Knowing how to process acorns would be both a valuable survival skill and also possible way to stretch my food budget.   I've read that acorn bread is delicious and more nutritious than wheat bread.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2021 at 2:20pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - May 3rd, 2021 at 10:07pm

Rat Man wrote on May 3rd, 2021 at 8:28pm:
    We have an insane amount of acorns of all sorts here in South Jersey in the late Summer and early Fall.  Some years they are so plentiful that they clog the sewer grates.  I mentioned before that years ago I tried processing them whole with no success.  I'm going to attempt it again this year, but this time I'll crush them like you're supposed to.  Knowing how to process acorns would be both a valuable survival skill and also possible way to stretch my food budget.   I've read that acorn bread is delicious and more nutritious than wheat bread.

I can imagine. Also far less processed. Who knows what chemicals end up in modern wheat bread.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2021 at 11:59am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #17 - May 4th, 2021 at 12:00pm

Morphy wrote on May 3rd, 2021 at 10:07pm:
Rat Man wrote on May 3rd, 2021 at 8:28pm:

I can imagine. Also far less processed. Who knows what chemicals end up in modern wheat bread.

With its ridiculously long shelf life one can only imagine.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #18 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 2:26pm

Surviving April through November in the wild would be very possible for me, at least here in the northern type forests I'm used to.   I have a good knowledge of edible plants, can build a decent shelter with no tools, and have some general bush skills.  Plus I'm not the least bit fussy about what I eat.  Winter is a whole other world.  I would be very fortunate to survive a Winter in the wild.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)