Send Topic Print
Poor Man's Cesta (Read 715 times)
Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Poor Man's Cesta
Apr 20th, 2021 at 11:18am

In light of Sarosh's video, I decided to make a simple device to try and mimic the throwing capabilities of a Jai Alai cesta.
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you a spoon tied to a stick....

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Re: Poor Man's Cesta
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 11:47am

At the moment I cant really throw any further than 100y as it is not at all optimised yet, but I have made some interesting discoveries. It feels very strange compared to a sling because the hand has to really lag behind and then lots of forearm and wrist muscles are used to flick it forward to release. It is shorter than a cesta, but it is lighter at 160g in weight. I think accuracy is certainly possible, but a lot of practice is needed to do so with different weight stones. I have also found that if an elongated stone is placed in line with with the spoon, it will actually rifle the stone somewhat (not as well as a sling where perfect stabilisation is possible).
When I switched back to a sling it instantly occurred to me how I was able to generate velocity with much less effort.
In all, I'd like to try and optimise (length, shape, etc)it and see if I could get better velocities.
Although if  ~50m/s with a ~100g stone using a light 18" sling is possible, then I think 70m/s (Jai Alai speeds) would certainly be possible with the same stone and a 36" sling (and I think would be more effortless).

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 2:00pm

Interesting! It would be great to see the optimised version really send those rocks.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 2:16pm

This forum always amazes me with how little it takes to make something you can throw rocks with 90m+.

Also I would kill to have pebbles like that just laying around here. I really have to give a visit to the closes proper river(which is 10km away)

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 7:19am

That's a good point, I forgot to comment on the rocks Cheesy I would kill to have pebbles in those quantities close by. There are good rocks around my area but you have to hunt them down.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris)