Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
surreal moments from the pandemic (Read 3233 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
surreal moments from the pandemic
Apr 8th, 2021 at 3:35pm

From monday (12th april) pubs in the uk are allowed to open for beer garden service.

So I'm at the golden cup in yoxall last night, making sure they've got wifi in their beer garden.

At one point I was in the tap room - and noticed a couple of sets of long, low wooden trestles that i'd never noticed before (these guys have been clients of mine for at least 15 years). 

And then it suddenly hit me - it's where the beer barrels usually stand !

So I went back into the bar and played this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFpGQoOBrLY

The beers getting delivered saturday.
But being in an english pub, with no beer - is an experience I never thought I'd ever have.

What surreal things have happened to you in the last year or so ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: surreal moments from the pandemic
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 6:24pm

Walking into large hospitals that were literal ghost towns. Barely any nurses working, very few patients. Alternatively being told the hospital is so full of covid patients that if we brought a patient there they would leave him on the wall to die because their was nothing else to do.

Seeing patients who obviously didnt die from covid get marked as covid deaths, presumably for the money.

Intubating people dying from covid wearing nothing but a loose surgical mask so grandpa doesnt die. Looking down into his trachea as Im slipping a tube in his lungs while he breathes air blazing hot with covid virus in my face.

Being told offhandedly by a patient in Oct/November of 2019 that had just come back from a business trip in China that he had some new virus that was going around there and he was having trouble breathing. No one had a clue the importance of what he was saying as Covid was on no ones radar at that time here in Texas.

I could go on and on.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2021 at 11:48am

My grandfather died alone in a hospital (not from Covid-19) because visitors weren’t allowed... then I couldn’t travel 60 miles to be at the funeral service without risking my pregnant wife catching the virus... and by simply traveling 60 miles, I would’ve had to self quarantine and would not be able to be at the hospital for the birth of my son.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2021 at 3:15am

6 residents in one month.

One woman had a temperature of over 38C in the evening. Dead by morning. Didn't live long enough to get tested so "officially" not a COVID death, but there's no doubt in my mind. I had to phone her daughter.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2021 at 8:17am

Watching the social reality change in the space of a couple of days.

Going shopping right after the numbers from Italy started getting bad everything was different. You could feel the tension. The rice and flour were gone. It wasn't any one thing, it was everything. The herd was skittish and anything was liable to set them off stampeding.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2021 at 8:25am

The army being the regional border guards, felt apocalyptic

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2021 at 10:01am

perpetualstudent wrote on Apr 10th, 2021 at 8:17am:
Watching the social reality change in the space of a couple of days.

Going shopping right after the numbers from Italy started getting bad everything was different. You could feel the tension. The rice and flour were gone. It wasn't any one thing, it was everything. The herd was skittish and anything was liable to set them off stampeding.

That one was as big as anything. And realistically, this might sound crass, but for the most part this pandemic has not been all that bad. This isn’t airborne ebola. This isn’t smallpox or the plague back in the day when entire towns were wiped off the map. It’s horrible but not to that level.

IF we get a new strain that ups the virulence and lethality to much more significant levels it won’t just be what we witnessed. It really will go full on Mad Max.

When the vast majority of police and other social services break down and when the hospitals can no longer find nurses and doctors who will work or are still alive, that’s when this precarious thing we call civilization falls apart in a hurry.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 11th, 2021 at 8:18am

Of course all of the "normal" viruses, colds, URIs, etc. are still around and we will catch them just like always, Covid or no Covid.  Yesterday morning I woke up with a slight sore throat and the sniffles.  The first thought each and every one of us wonders when these things happen these days is "Is this it?"  I am vaccinated, I avoid social gatherings, I'm masked when I go anywhere where people will be but that's no guarantee.  I know people like my niece who are just as careful as me but got it anyway.
    I agree with Morphy.  As tragic as this is it hasn't been bad enough to shake the foundation of civilization... yet.  If and when it morphs into a more virulent strain then we'll all be in world of poopy. 
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2021 at 2:35pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 7:30am

the discussion of the vaccine passport which will basically put borders within a country and will divide citizens in first grade and second grade.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Apr 17th, 2021 at 11:08am

Y'know sarosh I had generally been tuning out vaccine passport stuff as a fringe debate. But then this morning I went to public radio's website and they were giving a song and dance that "vaccine cards are a totally normal thing, not new at all" and that "some venues are already requiring them and it will increase"

Trying to pretend that this is a normal instead of extreme thing is mad. And utterly surreal.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Apr 17th, 2021 at 3:32pm

Additionally pretending like these vaccine passports wont be co-opted for more nefarious reasons is also, to me, similarly silly. Once in place there will at some point be corrupt politicians calling for using it for some reason for which its not intended.

My guess is countries will start limiting where you can go, where you can shop and what services you can use without it. In short it will become a powerful control mechanism for the populace.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 11:54pm

I litterally had a 90 something pound woman try to steal my toilet paper straight from my cart. Only had one pack too. Damn near had looting start in the store that day... the toilet paper wars of 2020 were wild.

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - May 8th, 2021 at 2:49pm

As social animals we aren't built for long term quarantines and social distancing.  This particular aspect of the pandemic is a little tougher on old people.  For one, we have to be more careful than younger people because we are less likely to survive a bout with Covid.  I've taken this more seriously than many of my young friends.  I know people who have rejoined their bowling leagues (with precautions, but it's still a social gathering) and even had weekly outdoor parties.  Not me.  I'm fat and old with asthma.  I'm hiding until this is really over.  Another consideration is that tanking a year and a half, two years, or how ever long this takes isn't as bad for a young person who has plenty of years left.  To us old farts two, three, or however many years this takes is a significant portion of whatever miserable little time we have left.  So not seeing family, friends, or enjoying life to its fullest for this time is a big deal to us. 
    I'm not saying that we seniors have it worse than anyone else.  Many people have lost their jobs, businesses, homes, etc.. Many are suffering.  But wasting years being shut in sucks for old people with few years left.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - May 11th, 2021 at 3:57pm

Seeing people screaming at the injustice of the government employing a 'tracking' app. While the same people give random phone apps the right to locate them anywhere and at any time while also 'reading' their texts and listening in on their phone conversations.
Check the 'rights' you are giving to phoine apps people - it's all there and has been for some time.

people banging on about nameless and nebulous 'rights' the government is going to 'take from them'.
'Rights' that were freely given away, a long time ago when we adopted civilisation as a way of social organisation..

Being told by people that the whole thing is a government conspiracy.

Because bankrupting your economy while paying the wages of people who can't go to work is what every government secretly aspires to.

Not one person who thinks it's a conspiracy has yet been able to tell me what anyone has gained from the 'conspiracy'.

On a positive not - in the last 12 months I've seen more families out for walks and rides than ever before.

It turns out that the way to motivate people to actually go outside and exercise, is to tell them that they have to stay at home Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - May 11th, 2021 at 8:02pm

The heart of the pandemic was very peaceful here CA. So nice actually. Whole families walking down the street. Parks filled with people, granted staying away from each other, but filled. People were disconnecting from the rat race. I loved it.

As for the conspiracy part, no, covid is real. But it is also over diagnosed by a long shot. Look at the stats on flu cases. They have dropped to almost zero in the last year. The only logical conclusion is that most flu cases have been co-opted as covid cases.

I have personally seen patients dying from other things who were marked covid deaths and ive talked to many others in the medical field who have seen the same.

But thats a conspiracy we can all get behind because if the government says hey were are going to help you out based on the number of covid patients then extreme pressure is going to be put on doctors to mark down anything with a sniffle to be covid.

People dont realize that during the pandemic that many hospitals were hurting very badly for money. Seriously...most folks here were not in them so didnt see. I have never seen anything like it. Just ghost towns. Formerly busy floors with most of the lights turned off and rooms closed. Most hospitals have to run at near max capacity to make a healthy profit. They werent doing anything close to that.

So you die with a gunshot wound but had the sniffles? Covid it is! Cha-ching and theres some extra cash. Its as simple as marking a box.

This isnt some grand conspiracy. Its just people being people. Happens all the time. The problem is it takes a real problem and makes it much harder to understand because we dont know for sure what the actual numbers are.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/flu-has-disappeared-worldwide-during-...

So yea this over reporting is happening pretty much worldwide. Which also exaggerates virulence,  R0 and other important figures that we really should have some clue about.

To put it simply, Covid is real but its largely hidden in a fog of war. We simply dont know right now what the real numbers are.

One of the articles I read on this disappearing flu phenomenon said it happened asa result of social distancing protocols and masks. Um..I dont think so! Most people's masks could not stop a common cold bug with a hangover. And sorry but flu cases would simply not disappear like that even with everyone wearing fitted 95s and replacing them every few hours as is ideal. People still touch their faces, they still make mistakes.

There is a lot of weird stuff going on but that doesnt mean Covid is a conspiracy. It means people will take advantage of free money any time its offered.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)