Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone know a bit about this machette? (Read 1077 times)
Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Anyone know a bit about this machette?
Apr 7th, 2021 at 5:03pm

A while back I was out by the old mining ghost town called "Custer City". It was established in 1877, if memory holds true. I was out wondering in an old logging area a few miles out from the road. Wondering along I found some old graves, like the old cover the body with stones so bears and wolves don't get to them type. I wondered a little further and kinda stumbled. I looked down and saw this machette blade laying there. Fully rusted out, and with just a sliver of old rotting wood left on the tang. When you look close you can see individual hammer marks on certain parts of the blade. So I thought it must have been from back in the mine town's hayday. Then I did some googling and found that only one or two blades I could find matched the shape. One was an old British world war two fighting machette. Ignore my ugly handle, I made that for it years ago, and am in the process of stripping it off to remake with some wood from a scrapped bow project. I just wondered if any of you guys might know more about this type of blade. It has a great feel to it weight wise. With a slight twist, which I assume is from years of work, and being lost in th deep woods of central Idaho. Close to where I found a dinosaur egg actually lol.

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Anyone know a bit about this machette?
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 2:57am

I would say it's pretty likely locally made by a blacksmith. A lot of blades out in the sticks are just made by the person that can make stiff out of metal. It looks more functional than anything so might not have had any particular design being aimed for other than sharp metal stick Cheesy Cool find!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 3:54am

Thanks, it actually works great for throwing surprisingly. I figured it was probably made for de-limbing trees back in the day. I have used it for a while, cutting trees, doing basic landscaping, and have found it works great for chopping off bulk waste wood in bow making. It goes about 3 or 4 times as fast as my draw blade for roughing a stave. So yeah I think you are probably right, whoever made it made a rugged blade though. I just want to make it a new handle. That one is pretty ugly, specially after I took of the paracord wrap, and it is only a random piece of cottonwood that was in my yard when I brought it home

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 4:19am

Looks to be weighted towards the tip. Seems like an amazing find. The ability to work a bow with a blade that is who knows how many years old is really cool. Based on the shape I dont doubt its an excellent heavy wood reduction tool for staves. I would love to have a piece like that in my set of tools. Machetes are already excellent for stave reduction, I can imagine that one is good even for machetes.

IP Logged

Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 11:55pm

yeah its cutting edge technology

IP Logged

Greenjay
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 1:12am

Do you have a picture of the dinosaur egg?

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 2:19am

Josephusflav wrote on Apr 18th, 2021 at 11:55pm:
yeah its cutting edge technology

You are killin' it with the Dad jokes my man!

John R.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 2:27pm

Greenjay wrote on Apr 19th, 2021 at 1:12am:
Do you have a picture of the dinosaur egg?

I can take some. I didn't gather all the pieces, because I just thought it was a cool concretion initially. Then I found individual layers for the shell, the membrane, the whites and even a yolk under a thick mud rock layer.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 2:30pm

Morphy wrote on Apr 8th, 2021 at 4:19am:
Looks to be weighted towards the tip. Seems like an amazing find. The ability to work a bow with a blade that is who knows how many years old is really cool. Based on the shape I dont doubt its an excellent heavy wood reduction tool for staves. I would love to have a piece like that in my set of tools. Machetes are already excellent for stave reduction, I can imagine that one is good even for machetes.

This thing is a bad ass machette really. It works great for no flip throwing, even for single flip throws. It can remove big chunks on hickory, or work as precise as a scraping card. The weight on the tip just feels nice too. Gives extra bite to a swing. Plus it has to have a cool history. With where I found it. Near a gold rush ghost town.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 3:33pm

No flip throwing as in no rotation? Been wanting to learn that for years. Seems like it would make tactical knife throwing an actual realistic thing.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 1:28am

Yeah, that is what I meant haha. I don't know all of the proper terms... yet, but it is a fun piece in my collection for sure. I think you are right, it works better for various ranges. Since standard throwing is only practical at certain ranges.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)