Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Typing in the Olden Days (Read 743 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Typing in the Olden Days
Apr 6th, 2021 at 10:48pm

Most of you reading this have only ever typed on an electronic keyboard.  Lucky you.   
     I learned to type on a manual typewriter.  I used the hunt and peck method until high school. In ninth grade I took typing class to get out of getting constantly beat up in shop class. It was a valuable skill to pick up.
   The disadvantages of typing on a manual machine went far beyond just the inconvenience of a clunky, heavy keyboard.  The biggest bugaboo was mistakes.  These days if you make a mistake while typing it's no big deal.  You just back up and do it again.  In olden days if you needed to correct something you had two choices.  You could erase it with a pencil eraser, being very careful not to get the eraser waste into the works of the typewriter.  Often one would accidentally erase a small hole right through the paper. Then you'd have to throw the whole page away and start over. Or there was white out.  White out was white paint in a little bottle with a tiny brush built into the cap.  You painted over your mistakes then after the white out dried you typed over it.  Hopefully you got the typewriter lined up on the page exactly as it was before or the corrected letter would be slightly out of line with the others.  You had to white out or erase each and every time you made even the slightest error in spelling, punctuation, or wording.  There was no auto correct.  Trying to type a perfect paper for a grade could be maddening. 
     If you needed copies there was carbon paper.  You actually had to put sheets of black paper that made everything filthy if not handled properly between your sheets of regular typewriter paper to get copies.  This technology was limited in that you could only make a few copies at a time.  Otherwise your paper and carbon paper sandwich would get too thick for the typewriter.  And of course every mistake you made was on every copy with no way to correct them other than the aforementioned methods. 
     Yet typing happened and many pages were typed perfectly.  You learned to be more careful by nature.  In the 1980s manual typewriters were gradually phased out, thank God.
      Electronic keyboards are a blessing.  Most of you will never really appreciate just how much so.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Typing in the Olden Days
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 12:18am

I wrote a proposal on a typewriter once... for a contract worth 6 figures. Whiteout was definitely my friend!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 6:23am

I learned on a manual typewriter in school. Never was good at it. Barely passed. When I see one at an estate sale, I point it out to a kid and tell them that's the original word prossesor. The look on their face is interesting.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 8:51am

While they were the height of engineering for their time, they are also a major pain in the butt. I am just old enough to have played around with them a little in my younger years. Ive also used some of the newer typewriters that have a simple word processor screen that lets you fix before typing. It’s an interesting device but really at that point just buy a printer lol.  Wink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 11:35am

I tried using a manual a long long time ago.
My biggest problem was that my brain and fingers don't go at the same speed.
So i was forver hitting the keys too fast and you have several moving at once and they get jammed.

Computers saved me Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2021 at 11:52am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 11:35am:
I tried using a manual a long long time ago.
My biggest problem was that my brain and fingers don't go at the same speed.
So i was forver hitting the keys too fast and you have several moving at once and they get jammed.

Computers saved me Smiley

That’s why we ended up stuck with qwerty keyboards... trying to slow the typist down to prevent jams

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)