Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Forgotten ammunition? (Read 2398 times)
Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Forgotten ammunition?
Apr 5th, 2021 at 1:19am

Here is a theory from me.  Again and again there are stones with a groove in the middle.  Some have a real hollow.  There are many possible interpretations of science.  Net countersink.  Clubs heads.  And even cooking stones.  But some of them are also great to sing.  Woven letters have one disadvantage.  They are not holding the projectile properly or they are bulging too much.  However, if the projectile has a groove something amazing happens.  A bulbous shape becomes unnecessary.  The tissue is pressed into the hollow.  The projectile is guided and stabilized.  I came across it during my study of the cordaillot sling.  I first made it out of clay.  They were very easy.  But very stable when fired.  The experiments are now entering a new phase.  I will keep experimenting with lead.  I won't share any results yet.  But anyone who is interested can test this form for themselves.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Forgotten ammunition?
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 1:21am

Wink

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 1:21am

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 1:47am

everyone can try it for themselves.  So it is possible that there are real slingstones under these stones.  It will be hard to find them.  These stones are called "fluting" in the professional world, not all stones with a groove were Slingstone.  However, I found some similarities.  Some grooved stones have similar damage to smooth slings stones.  That could be a clue.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 1:53am

According to the current state of science, these are club heads. Not all you can throw is a sling stone!

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 2:11am

According to the current state of science, that's exactly what I said.  You just don't know.  There are several possible uses.  This form made from other materials would be interesting.  Like bronze or lead.  For many objects, the use of unknown is stated.  How many of these objects have you already seen?  Or even shot?  In terms of form, these make perfect sense.  How many scientists have carried out such experiments?  And why is this amber shape also available?  It was part of a chain.  In Guam, slingstone shapes were also worn as a chain.  What a coincidence.  Maybe it's all nonsense.  First of all, it's a theory.  So before you declare it wrong, you should first really deal with it.  You scientist.  😂

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 2:25am

This reminds me of J .
Fairly sure he made something similar throughout his experiments.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #7 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 2:41am

The discussion is unnecessary. Everything is more plausible than that it is about sling stones. Perhaps it is also Fishing net sinks, it depends on the find-context.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 3:08am

Hubert.  I am not sucking it off because fingering.  In fact, some of these stones are considered slingstones by others as well.  The picture above is from Schleswig.  And not every stone with a groove was thrown.  Nobody claims that either.  For some, however, it would make perfect sense.  I've spoken to many.  Many even consider the interpretation as a net sinker to be absurd.  Mesh countersinks usually have a hole.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 3:29am

I think this discussion is absurd ! This groove offers no advantages, probably even disadvantages. If you now consider the increased workload for production, that doesn't make that much sense.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 4:14am

Hubert.  You don't have to follow this theory either.  The work effort is only slightly greater than with a biconical shape.  But if the effort is so great, why use it as a network sink?  That would be a contradiction.  They're pretty easy to make out of clay; and that hollow throat makes total sense.  If we see each other again, I'll be happy to show you.  As I said, it's a theory.  In science, a theory is set up and this is then proven or disproved with arguments and evidence.  And I made and shot a lot of such shapes.  And they fly great.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #11 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 7:33am

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 7:51am

😄 😂 Thanks for that.  These were my first attempts at this topic.  To say that doesn't work, I don't think it's scientifically tenable.  It works very well.  That's why I deepened this study.  There is also something very interesting.  But I'm not allowed to publish the results yet.  Occasionally bones are found.  Of people and animals.  You have compression fractures running in parallel.  It is very possible that the bullet was responsible for this.  But that has yet to be examined more closely.  On my Diane, however, there were parallel prints from the clay ammunition.  There are too many coincidences for me.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #13 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 8:06am

Ok with you for study this hypothesis.
But :
1) Almost any rock can be thrown with a sling.
2) Bolas ?

It will be difficult to prove your hypothesis.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 8:25am

Yes.  That's true.  It's hard to prove.  However, this form is really very easy to shoot.  Bolas do not make parallel breaks.  And yes.  You can shoot any stone.  Nevertheless, special ammunition was always developed.  Everyone knows biconical projectiles.  But there are others too.  For example, drop-shaped ammunition.  At first they were thought to be weights for weaving.  But these have a hole.  There are also teardrop-shaped prints on skulls.  So it is possible that sling stones are also hidden under these grooves.  😂

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)