34-36”    
  0 (0.0%)
Other, please specify    
  1 (5.6%)

Total votes: 18
« Created by: Morphy on: Apr 4th, 2021 at 10:37am »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Max Accuracy Scoring Thread (Read 14542 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Let’s Define Max Sling Accuracy! With Poll!
Reply #15 - Apr 4th, 2021 at 9:11pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Apr 4th, 2021 at 7:22pm:
Morphy wrote on Apr 4th, 2021 at 1:09pm:
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Apr 4th, 2021 at 1:04pm:
For accuracy I prefer a medium sling with a sidearm throw. That’s the best.

Can you give your average target score? Is your target set up under balearic standards? Actually..no it’s not. Doh... this might be a hard question to answer with so few people that can actually answer it.

The variables we need to account for are distance to target and target. Use whatever works best for you. That should be plenty. But even that is going to be difficult.

Distance is exactly 13 paces. Target is shaped like a Balearic target, but it’s slightly smaller. My average is around 60% hits.

I know you sling all the time. What if I gave you a reason to go out and sling more? Could you sling for a few days and see whats the very best score you can get? Can you also give me the dimensions of the target and the exact distance from target? If you are counting bullseyes I would need that measurement as well. We can plug all this into the accuracy index and see where everyone is at. I know you are busy but if you ever have time, please, think of the children.

Really though, what we need is your best 20 shot group. Distance and target size I can work with but your best 20 shot group would be excellent. Thanks man.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2021 at 1:00pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Re: Let’s Define, With Poll!
Reply #16 - Apr 4th, 2021 at 10:26pm

Do you seek
"the highest accuracy possible"
or
"the best score possible" ?

Despite my previously admitted pedantry, I am not playing semantics for fun.

If you seek the acme of accuracy, that boat has sailed with the unicorn chasers aboard.

If you want the best possible score I thought that was why competitions were held.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Zud Smiley

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #17 - Apr 4th, 2021 at 11:15pm

Here's an entry.  In another week or two, hopefully I'll be doing better (not meaning I wasn't happy with this session).

Sling length: 32 inches
Distance to target: 53 ft (16.1 m)
Total throws - 24
Diana - 5
Target - 10
Miss - 9
Accuracy - 62.5%

I was happy with this session, and haven't had a video of just normal slinging in a while, so I posted it.  https://youtu.be/lxwer2WEfZ4

Not sure on style though.  I've never really been able to classify the throw I use.  It's got similar concepts to a couple styles, but doesn't seem to fit exactly.  I usually think of it as a rotor in a diagonal plane with a sidearm release.  I'd be curious to hear if anyone thinks this fits well into a named style.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #18 - Apr 4th, 2021 at 11:23pm

Ok fine. Ill give a more serious answer...  and it’s close-ish to Joe Meadmaker’s. I tracked statistics on my slinging for a little while and was hitting a 3/4 size Balearic target at 10m 60% of the time with bullseyes 15% of the time. I used a 27” asymmetric sling made of paracord and leather.

We have a section in maths where we can post slinging session stats, but I don’t think it’s used much.

Here’s one of the slightly better than average examples:4/5 hits, 1 bullseye. I tend to average 3/5 hits overall.

https://youtu.be/hXmcqBk9tMQ

My statistics might also be better most days if I threw out the first 30 throws and called them a “warmup”, but I need more data to know for sure.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #19 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 12:02am

Thanks guys thats exactly what im looking for! I will have to get my crayons out and do some very ugly attempts at basic math. Hopefully we can get an idea of accuracy levels.

So one good thing about this is even if one person is slinging at 16 m and another at 20 its still close enough that we dont have to add on increased difficultly due to windage, elevation, spin related effects etc.

This is good. Really good. Thanks again.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #20 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 2:33am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSh1BhyrGis.
14 shots, 6 dianas, 6 squares, 20 m. Note: the square hits are me measuring the pixels in the video to find where the edge of the square would have been on the wooden wall as it isn't marked.

I've posted this before but it was a pretty good session. I have definitely repeated it, though.   Maybe had a few sessions that were better, but barely. Maybe change a square to a diana hit.

John R.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #21 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 8:58am

Hi Morphy,
My contribution :
range : 25 paces (about 16 meters). Target : 40 cm/ 40 cm. That' how I train.
Greek style overhand : 1/3 successful.
Underarm : 1/20 successful.
I hope I'm useful to you.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #22 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 9:22am

TOMBELAINE wrote on Apr 5th, 2021 at 8:58am:
Hi Morphy,
My contribution :
range : 25 paces (about 16 meters). Target : 40 cm/ 40 cm. That' how I train.
Greek style overhand : 1/3 successful.
Underarm : 1/20 successful.
I hope I'm useful to you.

Yes, thats great. Thank you!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #23 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 9:38am

IronGoober wrote on Apr 5th, 2021 at 2:33am:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSh1BhyrGis.
14 shots, 6 dianas, 6 squares, 20 m. Note: the square hits are me measuring the pixels in the video to find where the edge of the square would have been on the wooden wall as it isn't marked.

I've posted this before but it was a pretty good session. I have definitely repeated it, though.   Maybe had a few sessions that were better, but barely. Maybe change a square to a diana hit.

Must have been tired. I missed this! Thanks IG!

I cant help but think you would have a really good chance at winning the international. At least based on practice scores. We all know during the competition things get a little squirelly.

That was excellent!!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #24 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 5:35pm

Morphy, I will try to get consistent stats for you. I was collecting data specifically to compare different tread patterns during silicone treatment experiments when I shot the video above.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #25 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 8:03pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Apr 5th, 2021 at 5:35pm:
Morphy, I will try to get consistent stats for you. I was collecting data specifically to compare different tread patterns during silicone treatment experiments when I shot the video above.

That would be wonderful NOOC thanks! Even if we only had 5-10 people give stats that would be so much more participation than I expected.

Since I cant make up numbers out of no where Ill just let whichever entry in this thread thats the best be our upper limit for now. No sense in guessing.

Actually maybe I can look up videos people have posted of unedited shots. The vast majority of slingers dont bother posting anything but good shot runs so that should suffice in our very, very unscientific beginning. Got to start somewhere right?

Thanks again NOOC!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #26 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 11:30pm

Just so you don’t think I’m trying to make myself look better than I am... here’s a second example that is below average for me: 40% hits (2/5)

https://youtu.be/wI5gcennET8

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #27 - Apr 6th, 2021 at 11:37am

Just wanna put it out there but recently  I braided a really short sling (12'') and I got no doubt it is deadly. You really have to use a ~200g rock or heavier and give it a good whang to get decent velocity, but it still beats a hand thrown stone by a lot. Fig 8 / overhand comes natural to it, and its range is limited to probably about 50~60 meters max in a big lobbing arc.  But for short distances, around 10 meters or less, it's quite easy to be accurate, and it's super quick to reload and very easy to use in tight spaces. You could keep it under the poker table, It's like a pistol sling.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #28 - Apr 6th, 2021 at 12:41pm

Excellent!!!

Now before posting initial numbers if I may just say 2 things.

First, these were not sessions done with any kind of prize in mind. Not even really the pride of being the best. We all have days, and I know you all know this, that we are 3 times better than our worst days. That is just the nature of slinging. So before you look at numbers and judge yourself (which is exactly what I would be doing lol) keep in mind this is one day. Not even one day really. Just a relatively few shots. I could sling 200 shots in no time, so even a 100 shots is just a snap shot of a moment in time. your next score, should you choose to post additional scores could be twice as good. Same slinger, same sling, same ammo, different day.

Secondly, this is not meant to be a challenge. This is for science my good men!!!  Grin We are pushing the limits of accuracy or at the very least we are trying to discover both your max limit and your average limit and in doing so hopefully get a better idea of what the sling’s max limit is. That will be awhile, but this is where that starts.

Ok, so now for the process.

It’s very simple- using the Absolute Difficulty Index simply divide the target distance by the target size making sure both are in the same units of measurement.

That gives us the ADI number. Then take percentage of hits versus misses and multiply the ADI by that percentage. The final number is the score. I decided for simplicitie’s sake to only use the biggest target size available. So if you have the square and the diana then all diana hits became hits and all square hits became hits. No points this time. We can/will do that in the future.

Ok without further ado:

(Assuming Joe’s square is the standard 47 inches)

1615 cm / 119 cm =ADI 13.5

13.5x62.5% hit rate =

Joe Meadmaker - Score of 8.5

——————————————————

IG- 2000 cm/ 119 cm = ADI 16

16x85% hit rate = 14.2

IronGoober - Score of 14.2

——————————

Tombelaine - 1600cm/40 cm =ADI -40

40x 33% hit rate = 13.2

Tombelaine - Score of 13.2
——————————-

NOOC

1000cm/83cm = ADI - 12

12 x 64% hit rate = 7.7

NOOC score of 7.7
——————————————-

Technically these are equal across the board. So long as we stay within 20 meters of the target distance/windage/power etc dont really change from 10-20 meters so that’s not the issue.

But then again not really as NOOC went ironman on us and did 50 shots in a row. That will of course wildly swing your average downwards or at least “should” since slinging is so focus intensive and unfortunately focus degrades over that many shots, it doesnt get better.

I point this out so that when I choose to do a 20 shot run like a sensible person you know its purely for my ego...I mean for science, and as always, for the children.  Grin Grin

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #29 - Apr 6th, 2021 at 12:43pm

Ok and one more thing. I’ve mentioned this elsewhere but I will be perusing youtube videos for unedited shot runs with target size and distance. I’ll post what I find here. The vast majority of people do not post only horrible throwing sessions (does anyone?), so whatever numbers are posted here should be reflective of their accuracy on average, on that particular day, etc.  Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris)