Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lobbing VS flat trajectory (Read 1011 times)
Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Lobbing VS flat trajectory
Apr 4th, 2021 at 12:20am

I am getting the hang of long range throws (did a 100m with rock a earlier) and now would like to transfer that additional power into a flatter throw.

However It seems impossible to not have a artillery arc.

Any tips?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Lobbing VS flat trajectory
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2021 at 12:51am

To get a flatter trajectory you can try to get faster speeds or you can try to control the spin and use lighter ammo.

Golf balls can do wonders with backspin. You can gain lift on a perfect shot.

It’s all practice and seems your moving on fine

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2021 at 10:05am

Except with backspin, a perfectly flat trajectory is not possible. However at target distances the drop is not so much that it’s hard to adjust for. Long range throwing go with backspin if that’s the effect you are going for.

With practice and decent, heavyish ammo you will still have an arc but it will go quite far. That’s really the best you can do. If you become one of our monster throwers with throws +300 yard, yes it will still arc but it will be quite subtle.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2021 at 2:59pm

I have found that the farther back I reach with my rotor the flatter my shot.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 7:12pm

Rat Man wrote on Apr 4th, 2021 at 2:59pm:
   I have found that the farther back I reach with my rotor the flatter my shot. 

Now that is an interesting concept. I'll have to try that out!

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 7:41pm

I have noticed any time I try to put more power in, that my ammo curves sharp upward. I guess I am inadvertently putting a back spin on the rock. I say that, because for some reason it is easier to keep my shots down when I use a heavier rock. Also I read somewhere, that the way you control the spin is the direction of your palm on release. Is this correct? If so does anyone have some cool video showing intentionally curved shots... coughs... Jaegoor, mersa? Wink

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 8:08pm

This isn’t the best quality video because it’s screen recorded from my instagram but it shows a left to right curve.

Very light ammo .

Recently I’ve been getting opposite curve, right to left. And I’m not sure how I’m getting it , I was only ever able to curve L2R backspin and topspin. If I can figure out how I’m changing it I’ll maybe try make a new video showing how.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 8:11pm

Mersa wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 8:08pm:
This isn’t the best quality video because it’s screen recorded from my instagram but it shows a left to right curve.

Very light ammo .

Recently I’ve been getting opposite curve, right to left. And I’m not sure how I’m getting it , I was only ever able to curve L2R backspin and topspin. If I can figure out how I’m changing it I’ll maybe try make a new video showing how.

That was pretty cool to watch. I'll keep an eye out for the vid. Thank you good sir. It almost looked like it curved the opposite way that your palm faced upon release. The slow motion was sick

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #8 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 8:44pm

I’m out of town at the moment so I’m not slinging at the moment. I’ve got a few videos to try film . Some accuracy data for Morphy. Some curve balls for you. Some trickshots , some distance. I’ll try squeeze it in when it works but short answer is the spin is related to both palm position, pouch position, grip, and power stroke. Oh and light ammo, good luck curving dense materials.

Yeah the slowmo helps

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 8:57pm

Mersa wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 8:44pm:
I’m out of town at the moment so I’m not slinging at the moment. I’ve got a few videos to try film . Some accuracy data for Morphy. 

Im so excited...not in a creepy way...or..am I?  Huh Huh

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #10 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 8:58pm

Who knew that "Wanted" style projectile curving IIISSS a thing, just not with firearms lol. I have got a few basic curves using some river rocks, but never paid close attention to how. My clay glandes are almost too light imo they usually backspin way up. The first time I tried using one I aimed at a large dirt pile and it zoomed out then abruptly jumped over the hill lol I did start figuring out a better release for glande shapes though. I might pop some lead in my next batch of clay ammo though.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #11 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 8:58pm

Morphy wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 8:57pm:
Mersa wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 8:44pm:
I’m out of town at the moment so I’m not slinging at the moment. I’ve got a few videos to try film . Some accuracy data for Morphy. 

Im so excited...not in a creepy way...or..am I?  Huh Huh

Riiight? Same here haha.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #12 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 9:19pm

Lead in clay just makes it more prone to breaking in my experience, maybe if it’s the whole length it would be better but a lead ball in the middle is just a good way to make sure you break your glandes

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #13 - Apr 7th, 2021 at 9:40pm

Yeah the lead filled ones would be one and done most likely. I should just make a lead ball with high density rubber around it in glande shape. Like kong dog toy rubber then it would be dense, and less likely to get destroyed... more likely to lose it, but hey it could be a high visibility color. I was also thinking some epoxy resin with glowing colors, and bright colors could be good. Paired with a UV light would make them easier to find too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man)