Send Topic Print
Plumbers hemp (Read 1589 times)
JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Plumbers hemp
Apr 1st, 2021 at 11:55am

Anyone used this before? Plumbers use it in combination with some sort of glue to seal up threaded pipe connections.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plumbers-Hemp-200g-Hank-Traditional-Flax-Plumbing-Pip...

You can even get it in a dispenser:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/select-products-hemp-pipe-thread-packer-sealer-80g/93...

Looks like a ready supply of hemp fibre for sling braiding. In fact, because of the annoying habit of people saying hemp when what they mean is just 'natural fibre' I wonder if it really is hemp, they mention flax also which is linen technically. On some videos it even looks like sisal.

Price seems fairly reasonable anyway, I'll buy some to try out.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Plumbers hemp
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 1:03pm

It looks good, some descriptions seem to indicate it is flax fibre despite calling it hemp.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 1:07pm

Interesting. Would be interested to see what sort of quality the material is.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 1:18pm

My experience with prespun hemp has been disastrous. Maybe if you used this, with it being from unspun fibers like they do making balearic slings, you would have better luck. If it did work I bet it would make a very interesting looking/feeling sling.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 2:56pm

I havent used it for slings yet. The plan was to spin some fine thread and then make a high quality sling but I have left it for the last year collecting dust.
I have used it as a bow backing in 4 bows 1 of them is working and is on a video on my channel , 2 bows are backed but need a lot of tillering, 1 broke in tillering (too much ring violation), bows are also collecting dust right now.
I bought it as flax but says canapa on the label I trust the label more.
seems much better in quality than the cordage sold, it has very long strands.
I would buy it from a hardware store, I have found it on a much better price.

can1.jpg (116 KB | 16 )
can1.jpg
can2.jpg (77 KB | 6 )
can2.jpg
can3.jpg (93 KB | 15 )
can3.jpg
IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2021 at 4:54pm

The original caulking used by shipwrights and plumbers was tarred hemp. In boats packed into the gaps between planks to prevent ingress of water and used by plumbers to stop pipe joints leaking.
In the uk particularly it was hemp for the simple reason that hemp was grown for sailcloth and the lowgrade tawse was used for caulking.
Since the american oil industry killed the hemp industry alternatives have been found.
On the screwfix listing the coshh sheet is a legal document, so if it says flax, that's what it is.
So if you see a farmers field of growing knee high in 5 petalled blue flowers that is the flax plant.
A high value crop with the stems used for linen and the seeds used for linseed oil which mixed with chalk makes putty for windows.
The linseeds are now also grown as a food crop with either gold or black being used for humans and poultry feed.
Cheers,
Zud Smiley

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2021 at 9:50pm

Looks like decent stuff.
It's quite difficult to find stuff that's only the long fibres though, as when you comb the hanks a lot of shorter fibres come out.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2021 at 6:35pm

I did some work on that about ~10 years ago.
The hanks are usable. Avoid the dispenser. I dug in my material stash to give you an impression of what you might expect regarding quality from different sources. See the appended picture. I pulled out some of the longest fibers from each sample and measured them.
From left to right:

Homegrown flax fiber, blue blossoming fiber linnen, self-processed: Fiber length ~60 cm max. The retting was not done to completion so it is a bit coarser than the other samples.

"Plumbers hemp" dispenser: Fibers ~25-30 cm long maximally. A lot of shorter fibers in there as well.

"Plumbers hemp" from a hank: Fibers ~50 - 55 cm long maximally. Some shorter fibers in there.

Salvaged flax (?) fibers from an old spinning wheel, estimated to be at least 50 years old, probably quite a bit older: Maximal fiber length ~65 - 70 cm.

self_processed.jpg (236 KB | 11 )
self_processed.jpg
plumber_dispenser.jpg (253 KB | 10 )
plumber_dispenser.jpg
Plumber_hank.jpg (202 KB | 12 )
Plumber_hank.jpg

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2021 at 6:38pm

I finally got round to processing this stuff. From the 200g hank I got pretty decent results. I extracted bundles of fibre and pruned out shorter/tangled stuff.

Yield was ok- I retained 130g in almost exclusively 60cm strands which should make two decent slings, so £4 per sling, not the cheapest but not terrible either. It's quite difficult to extract this much fibre in 60cm strands, the last time I tried for 60cm with the sisal I have access to, I got something like 20% yield, and it took a very long time indeed. I usually resort to cutting 30cm strands from sisal to drastically boost the yield up to ~60% and reduce the time messing round with the rope.

So it compares pretty well with rope as a fibre source, since it's less labour intensive to get long length fibres in bulk.

I'm not sure if you could use it directly and save that time altogether. You *probably* could, but I personally don't like fiddling with tangled fibre when I have one hand holding the braid tight.

Also, it is indeed hemp, there is no mistaking the smell.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2021 at 7:34pm

Wink

image__5_.jpg (83 KB | 20 )
image__5_.jpg

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Aug 7th, 2021 at 7:35pm

Shocked

image__6_.jpg (36 KB | 19 )
image__6_.jpg

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 3:05am

Is the retention cord of that sling turned 90 degrees in construction?

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 4:17am

? No

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Aug 8th, 2021 at 9:43am

JudoP- any pics of the finished sling?

Also, you can find large amounts of untwisted silk hanks online for cheap if that sort of thing interests you. I originally found them for bow backing but looking at your hemp fiber there its pretty similar. Might be close to what you are used to.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #14 - Aug 9th, 2021 at 6:47am

Morphy wrote on Aug 8th, 2021 at 9:43am:
JudoP- any pics of the finished sling?

Also, you can find large amounts of untwisted silk hanks online for cheap if that sort of thing interests you. I originally found them for bow backing but looking at your hemp fiber there its pretty similar. Might be close to what you are used to.

It doesn't exist yet! I'll post one when I'm done.

Silk might be interesting, I've not used it before. I'll have a look.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy)