Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
International Slinging Event Ibiza 2021 (Read 12454 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: International Slinging Event Ibiza 2021
Reply #15 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 12:15pm

Ill bring a Texas flag even though I dont look or act Texan. But non Texans have this view of how we are so Ill dress the part and throw in a yee haw every couple sentences. Might have to bring my own tumbleweed with me to roll between rounds.

IP Logged

czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 2:20pm

Morphy wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 12:15pm:
Ill bring a Texas flag even though I dont look or act Texan. But non Texans have this view of how we are so Ill dress the part and throw in a yee haw every couple sentences. Might have to bring my own tumbleweed with me to roll between rounds.

I will bring czech flag and wear socks with sandals then. Also bring some czech beer and ramble all the time about foreign beer being not as good as ours to show I am true czech!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #17 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 4:10am

Careful! There were a lot of Germans and Austrians last year. Disparaging beer might end up an international incident.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #18 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 12:23pm

Quote:
even though I dont look or act Texan

have you seen you ?
there but for a stetson and some chaps.....

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #19 - May 1st, 2021 at 6:00pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 12:23pm:
Quote:
even though I dont look or act Texan

have you seen you ?
there but for a stetson and some chaps.....

LOL. Well damn... Grin

IP Logged

Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - May 7th, 2021 at 11:32am

SerKraus wrote on Apr 10th, 2021 at 10:41am:
I mainly asked because I saw Cuba on the list. Being Cuban myself, I've never encountered a Cuban slinger. However, most Cuban men I know used slingshots when they were kids which is hilarious considering the lack of rubber. Sometimes they searched through hospital dumpsters in search of rubber. If they knew to make slings, they'd probably have an easier time. Well, now that I mention it, I have encountered a Mexican who used to sling when he was a child. I think it was to herd some animal I don't remember.

The scariest man i ever met was a mexican who approached me at a boat dock and asked if he could try my sling.

He made a amazing throw and when i asked how did he learn his eyes narrowed and he said "it deh wulves away"

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - May 8th, 2021 at 9:16am

I know there’s a strong tradition of slinging in certain parts of Mexico. That would be a very cool experience.

IP Logged

Vance
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Reply #22 - May 27th, 2021 at 9:00pm

I would love to go to the competition (assuming they have one)  Perhaps in 2022 ?  In any case, can someone please send me a link to the "official" rules for target size, distances etc. please ?  I do not expect to win, but I would at least like to be good enough not to embarrass myself so I need to set up a standard target.  Also, I saw somewhere that they do not accept non-natural slings (aka Para chord).  Is this true ?  If so any recommendations on the best substitute.  I make my own and so am rather partial to them.

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #23 - May 27th, 2021 at 9:50pm

You just need to go down two more threads Vance.  Smiley

Here's a link: https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1429463497

This has the specs on target size and distance.

I haven't been to one so I don't know about the use of synthetic materials.  I'm sure one of the other guys will chime in.

IP Logged

Vance
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Reply #24 - May 27th, 2021 at 10:03pm

Thank you.
Here is the info along with the web site regarding sling material.   I am surprised they care about what your sling is made of, but apparently they do:

6.- Slings

The slings can be made from pita fibre, straw, oakum, linen, cord, skin, hair, wool, etc or any other material of vegetal or animal origin. The use of slings made from materials of mineral, metal or any synthetic nature (plastic or derivatives) is considered to be against the rules.

No limit is set as to the shape or weight of the sling; it all depends on the Referee-judge to decide what can be classed as a sling.

Its maximum length (doubled in the middle) cannot be more than 1 m.

http://www.tourism-mallorca.com/foners/03angl/04normes.html

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #25 - May 28th, 2021 at 6:36am

Well for the international competitors they don't have those restrictions. There is also no limits on slinging style.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #26 - May 28th, 2021 at 8:31am

It does seem pretty relaxed. I mean, Luis has polypropylene in the tassel of his slings so I guess that is technically against the rules- and he's an islander. Also, I'm sure a ton of balearic slings are using synthetic thread to bind the leather on (mine are).

A few of the internationals use non-standard slings and styles (our very own Curious Aardvark uses a paracord sling with figure 8 throwing style), though by and large people use natural slings and the balearic or underarm throwing style.

It would be good to see you there Vance, can't recommend the event enough.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #27 - May 28th, 2021 at 8:52am

JudoP wrote on May 28th, 2021 at 8:31am:
It would be good to see you there Vance, can't recommend the event enough.

Absolutely. Honestly one of the best experiences of my life. Just getting to meet other people that are into slinging was so awesome and you learn a LOT, more than can be learned through text or even video.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #28 - May 28th, 2021 at 10:33am

As far as the rules goes.
Everyone bends that.
these days louis pons livermore actually uses strips of plastic in the 'cracker' at the end of his slings.
Does that make the sling invalid ?
Dunno - but I wouldn't want to be the person to tell him so Smiley

The thing about the rules and the international competitors is that THEY INVITED US.

Until the invitation arrived - 10 years ago ?  I had no idea the balearic islands even still did slinging, let alone still had it as an actual national sport.

We didn't all turn up one day and say: 'can we play with you?'
If that were the case then, fine - it would make sense to abide by their rules.

But as the international competitors were invited, and nobody mentioned any restrictions at the time.
It's entirely unrealistic to expect us to change sling style and slings to abide by rules nobody had mentioned in the invites.
After nearly 30 years of slinging, it's unrealistic to expect me to change style and sling - just to abide by some rules nobody mentioned till the competition started.

Year by year fewer people take up slinging in the balearic islands.
You can't help but feel that this kind of petty rule obsession is at least partly to blame.

Also the reluctance to do anything with slings but the traditional target slinging.
Or use anything but stones in all official competitions.

Unfortunately as an outsider, all you can do is try and point this out.
You can rarely make people understand why things need to change.

That aside - it's a great week/few days and thoroughly recommended.
The people involved are all fantastic, the hospitality is second to none.
And if you don't make lifelong friends on your first visit - you're doing something wrong Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #29 - Aug 26th, 2021 at 8:25am

so it looks like I'll be going this year.

But no flights on the 14th so it'll just be 15th-18th.

On the plus side. with pepe's end (65 euros a day for hotel, food, transport while in ibiza etc), flights, airport parking, luggage, covid insurance etc - it works out at just under £400.
Which I can afford Smiley

Soooo, I need to get the target fixed (had to steal one of the supports to make a plumbing adaptor pipe for the kitchen this year).
Make a bunch of clay skull's and get some actual practice in !

So who's going this year ?
Anyone, no one.

Also be interesting to find out what's going on over there slinging politics wise.

I think peps setting up his own international federation.

Can't wait to see the folks again Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, LightSlinger, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)