Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Abstract Ammo Design 2021! (Read 23218 times)
quentonium
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Abstract Ammo Design 2021!
Reply #75 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 6:12am

Made these tonight after seeing a video on how to convert tennis balls into juggling balls.

One is filled with adzuki beans (left over from the beginnings of the pandemic) and one with rice. The rice ball seems a tad bit heavier/denser (but not much) and is technically cheaper to make. Might experiment with sand in the future. Will have a go to see how long they hold up going full speed at a target.

http://imgur.com/a/aU2Zup9

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #76 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 6:45am

What sort of weight are they?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Reply #77 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 6:58am

quentonium wrote on Apr 16th, 2021 at 6:05am:
Morphy wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 5:10pm:
Ive been using dense foam balls lately quentonium. They are over 4 oz and sling really well but would probably not hurt the pans if glued to a backing. Youre right though about stones. Doubt they would last even one day of heavy stone slinging. One hour for that matter lol. Would be tons of fun though.

Thanks for the recommendations, Morphy. Where did you order your balls from?

On amazon just search for foam practice golf balls in bulk. Can get like 20 something of them for about $8

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

quentonium
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #78 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 7:01am

Kick wrote on Apr 16th, 2021 at 6:45am:
What sort of weight are they?

They feel slightly less than double the weight of tennis balls, so I'm assuming around 3-3.5 oz

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #79 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 12:37pm

quentonium wrote on Apr 16th, 2021 at 6:05am:
Morphy wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 5:10pm:
Ive been using dense foam balls lately quentonium. They are over 4 oz and sling really well but would probably not hurt the pans if glued to a backing. Youre right though about stones. Doubt they would last even one day of heavy stone slinging. One hour for that matter lol. Would be tons of fun though.

Thanks for the recommendations, Morphy. Where did you order your balls from?

https://www.dollartree.com/all-star-sports-rubber-baseballs-3-in/159467

These are the ones I use. 4.3 oz so almost baseball weight. They sling absolutely amazing. I could use these in practice the rest of my life and be quite happy. Very dense foam/rubber. I sling mine against a rough, jagged stone wall and they last awhile. I tend to sling them quite hard as well. Against a flexible backstop they would last a very long time.

Also they would not kill if they hit someone. They would definitely hit hard but non lethal. Much safer than a rusty ball but in my opinion they work way better. I use a split pouch balearic and they work great.

https://youtu.be/GyVt_EwhKCs

You can see they fly fast. No kiddie stuff here.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #80 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 8:43pm

That reminds me of these https://www.dollartree.com/colorful-rubber-balls-3ct-packs/226360

They fly very very far. During my birthday party, I slang my last one while standing at the edge of a soft ball field and it flew well over the tree line (which was also well beyond the softball field!). Everyone was speechless; especially after slinging nothing but tennis balls.  Grin

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #81 - Apr 17th, 2021 at 12:33am

Yep bought 2 packs of those as well. They are in the two ounce range but much denser than tennis balls so they fly better.

You can also go on Amazon and find rubber baseballs as well as weighted rubber baseballs that can get quite heavy. Basically most weights a person might want to sling are there. The only thing I would suggest to a newer slinger is to design your sling to work with that size ammo.

For a long time I would never use something the size of a tennis or baseball
They seemed way too big and unwieldy. Turns out with a balearic sling they throw like a dream. I had always been using a smaller Apache sling for such ammo which gave me a poor opinion of it. While my Apaches were excellent for stones they did not give me a balanced view of what was possible with larger diameter ammo. Its all about tuning your gear to attain the best results with what you are using.

IP Logged

quentonium
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #82 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 3:03am

quentonium wrote on Apr 16th, 2021 at 6:12am:
Made these tonight after seeing a video on how to convert tennis balls into juggling balls.

One is filled with adzuki beans (left over from the beginnings of the pandemic) and one with rice. The rice ball seems a tad bit heavier/denser (but not much) and is technically cheaper to make. Might experiment with sand in the future. Will have a go to see how long they hold up going full speed at a target.

Got to feel them out today and observed significant improvements to accuracy, speed and distance with both rice and beans, though I still prefer the rice.

Haven't been able to test impact resistance, but did about 10-15 full power bounces off the ground with no deformation or damage. I suspect that the greatest threat to these will be abrasion, which should be easily fixable with another layer of tape or simply rewrapping all together.

One awesome thing about this design is that you can modify colors or patterns by simply changing the tape color. I just ordered some brighter colors to help make the balls easier to see, both for impact and overshot balls.

I'll definitely need to reweigh them because I may have underestimated. I use around a quarter cup of rice per ball, which is approximately 50g. Factoring in the average weight of a tennis ball and tape, end product should be in the 100-110g mark, or 3.5-3.8oz.

They are substantially safer than rocks, but they do pack a wallop; even with lighter throws. Based on the results of a few unintentional hits to some 1-3 gallon flower pots in my yard, I suspect they can easily knock someone out, or maybe break a nose and certain bones depending on how fast the projectile is traveling (Force = Mass x Acceleration). But aside from that, the deformative nature of the ball (especially with beans) makes these relatively safe for my use in more public places.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #83 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 3:18am

quentonium wrote on Apr 18th, 2021 at 3:03am:

Got to feel them out today and observed significant improvements to accuracy, speed and distance with both rice and beans, though I still prefer the rice.

Haven't been able to test impact resistance, but did about 10-15 full power bounces off the ground with no deformation or damage. I suspect that the greatest threat to these will be abrasion, which should be easily fixable with another layer of tape or simply rewrapping all together.

One awesome thing about this design is that you can modify colors or patterns by simply changing the tape color. I just ordered some brighter colors to help make the balls easier to see, both for impact and overshot balls.

I'll definitely need to reweigh them because I may have underestimated. I use around a quarter cup of rice per ball, which is approximately 50g. Factoring in the average weight of a tennis ball and tape, end product should be in the 100-110g mark, or 3.5-3.8oz.

They are substantially safer than rocks, but they do pack a wallop; even with lighter throws. Based on the results of a few unintentional hits to some 1-3 gallon flower pots in my yard, I suspect they can easily knock someone out, or maybe break a nose and certain bones depending on how fast the projectile is traveling (Force = Mass x Acceleration). But aside from that, the deformative nature of the ball (especially with beans) makes these relatively safe for my use in more public places.

Thats cool man, feel like posting it to this thread as an official entry? Got to have at least pics of a useable design before it counts.  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

quentonium
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #84 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 5:00am

Morphy wrote on Apr 18th, 2021 at 3:18am:
quentonium wrote on Apr 18th, 2021 at 3:03am:

Thats cool man, feel like posting it to this thread as an official entry? Got to have at least pics of a useable design before it counts.  Smiley Smiley

I will  post a tutorial once my orange electrical tape arrives

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #85 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 8:55am

Sounds good.

Note to all though and your post just reminded me Quent so dont feel singled out but full on tutorials dont necessarily have to be posted here. If you are really excited by all means post some stuff its not a problem. But also keep in mind we have to have whatever is posted on this thread be digestable by those just wanting to see submissions.

So again definitely not saying dont post tutorials but just have the length be balanced with the purpose of the thread.

Actually multiple progress pics is really beneficial is it gets others excited to try stuff. But anything extra that can be left out consider doing so for brevities sake. Hope that makes sense. Thanks again all. Great submissions so far. Im so impressed with what people have come up with. Mine seem trite in comparison...that is if I ever get around to figuring them out.  Grin

IP Logged

quentonium
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #86 - Apr 24th, 2021 at 1:38am

quentonium wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 7:49am:
For those In America looking for a ready made circular target:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BQZ7AU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_GZFGQ519JMY94XQ...

Picked up 4 of the 19" version, but only because I'm impatient and didn't want to wait until May for the 18", which I Suspect would be better for improving accuracy for Balearic style competition training (20" pan is about $20 bucks; no gracias)

Plan to glue at least 2 together to reinforce the thin 18ga thickness of the metal, which should give me some good use; at least while using tennis balls. I suspect once I step up to rocks these pans are going to get obliterated.

Was going to check local thrift shops and discount stores to look for old circular pans, but because it's Hawaii is almost impossible to find something this cheap in ideal dimensions. May the target gods be ever in my favor with this new project

Pizza pans arrived today and they are very stout; should hold up to standard and weighted tennis balls standalone, and handle rocks if they are doubled up (at least for a good while)

Just ordered 2 more; might order another two for a lifetime supply. Get em while they are still $6

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #87 - Apr 24th, 2021 at 7:34am

I think I can speak for us all when I saw we would love to see them get wrecked Cheesy Do post damage shots. It will be interesting to see how they withstand a barrage.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #88 - Apr 24th, 2021 at 9:16am

aluminium is tougher than you think.

the centre disc on my lightweith target is 3 or 4 mm aluminium. I do have a couple of steel ones I used for the original target frames i made in 2008.

I've uded clay on both and the aluminium one stands up with fewer dents than the steel ones.   

The pizza plates are a great idea - if you don't have a friendly aluminium engineering firm around Smiley

The tennis balls are similiar to the ammo the Viking renactors make over here.

They take a sandwich bag with a handfull, or so, of dried peas/beans and wrap in coloured tape so that every viking slinger has their own colour and pattern ammo.

And they do sling them at each other.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #89 - Apr 24th, 2021 at 9:38am

Quote:
Ammo that can be slung a known distance and then causes serious drag to drop it mid air parachute style. It will allow people to have actual expensive sets of premimum ammo without fear of losing them. Backstops will no longer be needed to be a serious target slinger. Target slinging will be possible anywhere within reason at any time. But so far no one has come up with the answer.

As it stands that is the one thing that prevents me from practicing all the time. This absolutely maddening pattern of making or buying perfect ammo and despite ridiculous lengths taken to find them all they eventually all disappear. What a PITA.

Hmm, I can probably make that.
never considered it before. But then I mainly miss targets in competition. Like most of us I rarely miss when there's no bugger shoutuing at yoiu are trying to brain you with sideways rocks.

But yeah i can think of several ways to do that. The hard(ish0 part would be to make them individually tuneable.
But i could sell different inserts.

Doifferent slings and throwing styles impart different spin rates - as does different power throws.
So you couldn't guarentee a distance per insert just something: long, medium, short, really short and 'don't drop before you throw'.

The only issue I can see would be the braking mechanism.
A small parachute is probably going to be the most practical and easiest to make.
In fact that eject machanism is probably going to be the single difficult part of the whole affair. And where do you buy cheap rolls of parachute silk ?

(5 minutes later)

My brain must actually be working today.
there are two abandoned pop up tents in the local area (one is where zud got the sticks for his captured pouch staff sling from).
Not silk - but just as practical and free and plenty of it.
Plus it should cut really easily on the laser cutter.
Now i just need a decent pattern for a small parfachute Smiley

Right that's materials sourced lol Now for the hard part.
lol or maybe not Smiley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYm1_nedVu0

However I reckon you could also use the same basic mechanism (and yes i am being deliberately vague lol) to ignite a small smoke pellet. the kind of thing that plumbers and electricians use to trace old pipes should work quite well and are cheap and easy to buy.

bear in mind it would have to be based on the number of rotations
Well if you wanted to make a fairly cheap(ish) mechanical one.
If you want to put a mini gps chip in with an armature triggered brake - that's quite a bit more complicated and probably (definitely) beyond my limited electronics skills.

But a mechanical one - yeah i'm pretty sure I can make that Smiley

It might take longer than this competition to make the parachute eject mechanism -but we'll see,
there might be something in the workshop i can modify. And if you'd ever seen my workshop, you'd realise that the answer is: yes there is definitely something in here - the hard part is going to be finding it Smiley

It will need to be glande shaped, don't think ypou could do it with spherical ammo that tumbles more than spins. And you'll need to load and throw in a definite orientation.

But yep - distance braked ammo, I'm pretty sure I can produce a kit to do that.

As far as the jet glandes goes. I hadn't (well i almsot did) factored in shrinkage. Although it is why i made the fans squashable as i thought they would deform as the clay shrunk. Nah - you just get round fans and cracks.
So I'll make a couple and let them dry without fans and then make the fans to fit the final diameter of the shaft.

The ones i made are throwable - I just keep forgetting to take them with me. Plus not going anywhere I can throw them at the moment.

between phoebe recovering from a cruciate ligament operation and dream being distracted by all the bloody females in season in the area. I'm not currently doing my usual dog walks.

Right - distance locked ammo - I'm on it Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)