Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Abstract Ammo Design 2021! (Read 23116 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Abstract Ammo Design 2021!
Reply #60 - Apr 10th, 2021 at 6:09am

Vanes might make a bigger difference in orientation than a tassel but if it was flying well before im guessing something imperceptible about your throw has changed. I can only speak for myself here but ive noticed sometimes small things can cause dramatic differences in flight characteristics.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #61 - Apr 10th, 2021 at 9:54am

I'm gonna have to get an old frying pan lol

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #62 - Apr 10th, 2021 at 3:33pm

Morphy wrote on Apr 10th, 2021 at 6:09am:
Vanes might make a bigger difference in orientation than a tassel but if it was flying well before im guessing something imperceptible about your throw has changed. I can only speak for myself here but ive noticed sometimes small things can cause dramatic differences in flight characteristics.

Yeah I'll have to give it a go again sometime.

SerKraus wrote on Apr 10th, 2021 at 9:54am:
I'm gonna have to get an old frying pan lol

This one has been perfect. Super big pan that has stood up pretty well to all the abuse I've put it through. The staff slings are beginning to fold it in half though so I might need to hammer it flat again sometime soon. Picture from when I first go it.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #63 - Apr 10th, 2021 at 9:52pm

Is there an after picture?

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #64 - Apr 11th, 2021 at 10:11am

Taken just today Cheesy Pretty mangled and rusty but still in one piece. I have to say I'm impressed with the strength of the handles which I've hit many many times.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #65 - Apr 11th, 2021 at 12:41pm

Flip it over and sling at the other side... good as new!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #66 - Apr 11th, 2021 at 1:43pm

Either youve been slinging at that thing for awhile or its transforming into its final form.

Is there a pan equivalent of Cthulhu?

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #67 - Apr 11th, 2021 at 3:11pm

That pan is metal af

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #68 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 1:47am

It's gone pretty Mad Max. Most of the really big dents are from staff slings. You can see in the last photo one point that's particularly pointed and a bit shiny, that's where the plumb bob hit point on. Very nearly poked a hole all the way through.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #69 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 3:08pm

That pan is a pretty good argument for why shields are better than helmets if you have to pick only one. I’d much rather keep those impacts at arms length!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #70 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 4:09am

True. This pan is also thicker and made of better quality metal than a lot of ancient helmets. I dread to think what a staff sling would do to a person if it hit them in the head even with a helmet on. Those edge deformations on the pan are kind of terrifying honestly.

IP Logged

quentonium
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #71 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 7:49am

For those In America looking for a ready made circular target:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BQZ7AU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_GZFGQ519JMY94XQ...

Picked up 4 of the 19" version, but only because I'm impatient and didn't want to wait until May for the 18", which I Suspect would be better for improving accuracy for Balearic style competition training (20" pan is about $20 bucks; no gracias)

Plan to glue at least 2 together to reinforce the thin 18ga thickness of the metal, which should give me some good use; at least while using tennis balls. I suspect once I step up to rocks these pans are going to get obliterated.

Was going to check local thrift shops and discount stores to look for old circular pans, but because it's Hawaii is almost impossible to find something this cheap in ideal dimensions. May the target gods be ever in my favor with this new project

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #72 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 7:57am

Yeah I found this pan on Facebook and felt very lucky to find it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #73 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 5:10pm

Ive been using dense foam balls lately quentonium. They are over 4 oz and sling really well but would probably not hurt the pans if glued to a backing. Youre right though about stones. Doubt they would last even one day of heavy stone slinging. One hour for that matter lol. Would be tons of fun though.

IP Logged

quentonium
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #74 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 6:05am

Morphy wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 5:10pm:
Ive been using dense foam balls lately quentonium. They are over 4 oz and sling really well but would probably not hurt the pans if glued to a backing. Youre right though about stones. Doubt they would last even one day of heavy stone slinging. One hour for that matter lol. Would be tons of fun though.

Thanks for the recommendations, Morphy. Where did you order your balls from?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick)