Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Abstract Ammo Design 2021! (Read 22845 times)
xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Re: Abstract Ammo Design 2021!
Reply #15 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 8:46am

Do it   Smiley

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 10:06am

well if you attach the feather to a twisted piece of elastic and then freeze it in the ice ball.

As it travels through the air, the ice will meltt, the elastic will unravel and the feather will 'flap'

And that's how quiddich was invented Smiley

The only slightly tricky part is keeping the elastic twisted while being frozen.
You could probably trap the ends in the iceball mould.

'Course if you're using those cheap ice bags to make the balls (what I'd probably do) then it won't work Smiley

Meanwhile back in a workshop in derbyshire, the 'jet-engine' glande is quietly taking shape......
Just had that lightbulb moment !
Hot damn, I really CAN make an easily mass produced jet engine glande. Better get on it Smiley Just got to work out how small a turbine I can produce lol this is gonna be fun.
Ain't technology wonderful Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #17 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 10:48am

I would like to cordially invite all taking part in this to suck it. This is my submission for the contest.

Each glande is made from hand selected organic material. Wrapped in a space age polymer for extra durability with a stabilizer on the back that is evolutionairly designed for flight. The whole thing is 100% mostly biodegradable and the flight characteristics are like nothing youve ever tried.

A great deal of testing over the last 5 minutes has gone into creating the finest sling ammunition that can be made with materials in arms reach.

For formalitie's sake let's go ahead and permit the rest of the submissions to at least be posted. A vote wont be necessary and would only postpone the inevitable.

Thanks all for your congratulations. Adoration is both expected and potentially graciously accepted.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 11:34am

I'll let you have the elastic iceballs idea- out of sympathy whistle Smiley

interesting looking glande on the screen.
if the extruding tube on the left was made from thin copper tubing and filled with a small rocket motor - you might have something Smiley

If you timed the fuse to ignite in midair, could add a fair bit of distance. Presumably the 'knobbly bits' on the surface act to spin the glande more efficinetly.
And if not - why not ? lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #19 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 11:44am

Well damn that backfired. I suppose I shouldve known your eyes would be drawn to the one piece of tech in the picture. Yes that was the graphic I was working on for this thread until I decided Im too lazy to finish it. Its funny you mentioned rocket powered glande. I guess if we want to see an actual RPG we will have to wait and see what you come up with.  Cool Cool

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 12:12pm

lol these days I tend to avoid anything that might be construed as 'terroist activities'.

Smoke glandes, yeah probably.
Mind you that said the rocket motor is only icing sugar and kno3. Either melted over heat and if you don't have electric heating - don't do it over a flame Smiley.
Or made into a slurry for the sensible person and force dried.

Adjust amounts and add a little flour to make different burn length smoke mixtures Smiley

I'm currently designing a teeny tiny jet turbine lol

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #21 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 12:31pm

lol if these actually print they'll weigh about 0.25 grams Smiley

I have done much smaller - but not for a few years.

A bit later...

well that worked Smiley
to put this into perspective. The fan is 12mm diameter and walls and blades are 0.5mm thick/wide.
I went for 5 blades with an overall 30 degree twist.
Figured that gave the best overall airflow to surface area.
But if you want to do proper math and let me know what the optimal number of blades and degree of twist is - be my guest Smiley

Gotta wait for the big machine to be free before I can make the special mould this insert is for.
probably be an overnight machine run.

But all things being equal - I should be able to make turbo powered glandes tomorrow Smiley

And yes the kit will be for sale.
I'll probably make the fans from PET - which should survive the gland smashing up and be reuseable. 
These test ones are just pla - which is tough, but also more brittle than pet.

As you can see - if you squint, hard things to photograph - I've done a left and right thread.
I 'think' a right handed throw gives a clockwise rotation and a left hand throw an anti-wise one.

Got to find the video of me and the ball david made. That shows the spin quite clearly.

But yeah - this is pretty much a done deal Smiley

I have absolutely no idea if it will work or not, but it should turn rotational momentum into longitudinal thrust.
Theoretically.
I think.
Maybe
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2021 at 1:44pm by Curious Aardvark »  

1fan__Small_.jpg (44 KB | 36 )
1fan__Small_.jpg
2fan__Small_.jpg (39 KB | 23 )
2fan__Small_.jpg

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 1:54pm

scale the fans up, attach to a waterproof dynamo and drop in a stream and you've got a hydro-electric generator Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #23 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 2:00pm

the smoke producing glandes would be really useful for distance slinging.

1) the longer they are in the air the lighter they get, so should get extra distance, maybe.
2) you'll actually be able to find the little buggers !
3) as the pyro compound is conyained inside the clay glande, it should not set fire to anything.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #24 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 3:07pm

So there's proper evil genius cackling going on in the Aardvark burrow tonight !

Fans made from flexible polyurethane.
basically reuseable until you lose them - pretty much unbreakable.

Had a play and made some 4 bladed fans with 40 degree twist and slightly thicker outer wall and tweaked the print settings slightly.
They look like they should scoop as much air and print a lot cleaner. Pretty much none of the 'webbing' you can see in the animation.

Right now to decide on a colour and print the glande mould Smiley

The glande will have a hollow centre that starts at 12mm for input and narrows down to 8mm for the 'exhaust'.

The same glabndes could also be used with a shaped smoke compound insert.

squash_fan.gif (137 KB | 27 )
squash_fan.gif

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #25 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 6:12pm

Holy crap CA...

You arent messing around man. I do have plans for a really important design but damn thats a hard act to follow. Might have to go with my 2nd design. Ya those fans could be incorporated in many different designs. Its one of the things that was talked about in our discussions on ammo.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Reply #26 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 6:27pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 3rd, 2021 at 3:07pm:
So there's proper evil genius cackling going on in the Aardvark burrow tonight !

Fans made from flexible polyurethane.
basically reuseable until you lose them - pretty much unbreakable.

Had a play and made some 4 bladed fans with 40 degree twist and slightly thicker outer wall and tweaked the print settings slightly.
They look like they should scoop as much air and print a lot cleaner. Pretty much none of the 'webbing' you can see in the animation.

Right now to decide on a colour and print the glande mould Smiley

The glande will have a hollow centre that starts at 12mm for input and narrows down to 8mm for the 'exhaust'.

The same glabndes could also be used with a shaped smoke compound insert.

Hmm this gets the gears rolling in my head. Those kind of remind my of a tiny whoop drone duct. Gives me an idea as well. I might have to bust out my laptop and make some models.

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #27 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 6:49pm

Morphy wrote on Apr 3rd, 2021 at 6:12pm:
Holy crap CA...

You arent messing around man. I do have plans for a really important design but damn thats a hard act to follow. Might have to go with my 2nd design. Ya those fans could be incorporated in many different designs. Its one of the things that was talked about in our discussions on ammo.

Well if you will leave me out of these things....
That went from idea to finished production in an afternoon.
Guys I've had over thirty years to think of just about every type of sling ammo imaginable.
And these days I've got the skills, equipment and materials to make most of them.
Just saying whistle

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #28 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 8:53pm

Im glad you are taking part. Cant wait to see the squishy fans in use. Regardless of the amount of tech and skill involved in making these they shall forever be known to me as squishy fans. Really curious to see them in action...  Shocked

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #29 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 9:43pm

Man CA your gonna get me jealous.
Some great ideas in there. Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)