Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 
Send Topic Print
Abstract Ammo Design 2021! (Read 22853 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Abstract Ammo Design 2021!
Reply #195 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 6:11am

Another project u can do, just what u need, is make your own 3d printed tripod,

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #196 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 8:25am

Well I do have a superb tripod.
I'm actually currently printing out a phone holder for it, as the old one got broke.
The new one should be a bit more durable.

The tripod has a square insert that locks in. The screwy bit broke a while back. So I reverse engineered the insert block. I can now just add extra parts to the base and print the new holder as a single piece.
So I've got holders for the phones and the iPad a mate gave me.

I have looked at the iPad video setup and while it will record in slowish motion. iMovie sucks for editing and the iPad will only do mov video format and getting the video file onto my phone for proper editing is a right pita.
Apple just don't like anyone being able to use proper computers Sad

I might still give it a go as it should be easier to see things with the slomo.
I just hate the whole apple environment.
I'll go charge it up.

The tripod goes from about 2 feet to about 7.
Everything twiddles rotates and locks.
Even has a spirit level built in
And I've just remembered that the bag I use for carrying the bolt cutters around whistle ( don't ask) was originally the tripod carry bag ! Smiley
Now I just have to find it !

So anyway I printed the yellow aerofoil and the subjected it to the 'chewed by dog' simulator.
It failed.
You can see in the video clip the end section failed.
Reprinted at higher temp and lower speed,
And it was a lot better, but still failed the test.

The thing about 3d printing is it's as much an art as a science. And different colour materials all have different characteristics.
Yellow tpu is the stiffest tpu, and in this case was too stiff.

So I'm reprinting with blue tpu. Which is the softest colour and should hopefully bond better and survive the simulator intact.
Smiley

The base is stiff enough the while I am hitting it a lot harder than it looks, my fingers are quite safe.

20210830_131135.gif (8519 KB | 33 )
20210830_131135.gif

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #197 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 9:42am

Well I haven't found the tripod bag, but I did find another bag of slings Smiley

This one holds the new aerofoils perfectly, plus its heavy enough to feel right when swinging with such lightweight objects.

Again, I'm sorry I have no idea who made it.

Tomas maybe ?

Someone with smaller fingers than me anyway. It's a tight finger loop.
I've got a few all leather slings, always liked this one. Should work well for this.
Plus you can see by the length of the pouch that it would take a larger aerofoil just as easily.
I've had a couple practice throws in the workshop (another advantage of flexible ammo lol) and both holds the aerofoils really secure during even a slow windup and releases perfectly as well.

Not sure I'll get it all together tonight, but hopefully this week.

Although I'll probably take the new aerofoils for a test throw and live 'crunch' test whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #198 - Aug 30th, 2021 at 2:27pm

Now that was fun !
The leather sling sort of worked, but realistically needs much heavier ammo.

So I went back to the shepherd's sling.

After much experimenting, fig 8 turned out to be the most successful style.

Oddly the blue aerofoil, which survived the mallet test unscathed, took the most damage from the mutts.
The yellow one, I'd swiftly patched up with my heat tool, actually survived a lot better.
The original wounds were reopened, but no new ones and the original weren't enlarged.

So I'll go back to the yellow and thicken the tail end a little to make it stronger.
I reckon it just doesn't taste very good Smiley

Still getting plenty of lift, and if you can angle them towards the ground they swoop upwards !
Hard to get just right, but pretty radical when you give it laldy with a sling and the ammo actively dodges the ground !

Just like Terry Pratchett's advice on how to fly: 'just throw yourself at the ground and miss'

That's just what it feels like Smiley

So I think I'll reduce the slits to 8, all round the middle and make the tail 1.5mm thick rather than 1mm.

Also increased the bottom/front thickness to 5mm

So I'll run a half dozen new yellow ones overnight.

Pics of vertical phone holder attached, I've also got a horizontal one as the one thing the tripod doesn't do is go 90 degrees.
Hmm guess I could make a hinged holder.
(Sigh) I'll put it on 'the list' whistle

Pics also attached of the Flex-Aerofoils after 20 minutes of extreme canine mastication.

Right I'm off to try out my new 3d scanning app !
I'm not entirely sure linking my Google account to my PayPal account was such a great idea. This paying by fingerprint is just too damn easy whistle

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #199 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 11:15am

Right, I reckon these are probably going to be the final item.
Don't realistically want them any larger.
The 30 odd grams weight feels nice and is heavy enough to work in a variety of slings.

The 8 slots should be enough to give sufficient lift for fun, but hopefully also get a bit more distance.

The fact that these 6 took 16 hours to make, means I'm not going to be running these off everyday.
So assuming they're dog proof, they should be infinitely reusable.
They're certainly not going to be damaged any other way, polyurethane is double tough !

@iron goober. This was your idea, have you got access to a tpu capable 3d printer ? If not, bung me your address and I'll ship a couple across Smiley

Attached the last two designs to the post.
35x60x9 = 4mm thick walls at the base and 1mm at the top. Overall height of 60mm and diameter of 43mm (35mm is the internal diameter) Oh and it has 12 slots, including the weird shaped ones at the top - no I don't know why i thought it was 9 either whistle

the 35x60x8 - has 5mm base walls and 1.5mm top walls, so it's 45mm total diameter, 60mm tall and has 8 slots arranged around the middle.
I currently have no clue how they will fly Smiley

I included the 35x60x9 - simply because if the new ones don't dodge the ground, I know they will Smiley
And that's a fun game Thumbs Up

The next question is: can i be arsed to go back and make some fins for the clay toruseses ?
Dunno, I'll think about it.

I'm also going to make a couple these out of pet-g - it's nowhere near as tough as tpu, but it is a lot chewier than pla.
And prints faster - so we'll field test those as well.

The other thing it might be worth trying out is nylon.
Now nylon is a right bastard to print, and i don't have any that works anyway. But it is tough !
I did look at trying some carbon fibre infused nylon as it's supposed to print a lot better - but damn that stuff is pricey ! So I'll see if I can score any at the tct show at the end of september.
Sometimes stuff throws itself into my backpack as I walk past stalls, I blame poltergeists- so we'll see whistle 

If I make it to ibiza, I'll bring some with me.
Watching someone trying to throw these from a stiff split pouch sling, should be interesting.
Plus it's something else apart from stones, that you can use a sling for.

35x60x8aerofoil.stl (307 KB | 33 )
35x60x9aerofoil.stl (428 KB | 37 )
20210831_160816.gif (650 KB | 28 )
20210831_160816.gif

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #200 - Aug 31st, 2021 at 12:16pm

And just because, here's Alexa, printing a petg aerofoil.

20210831_171605.gif (6261 KB | 37 )
20210831_171605.gif

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #201 - Sep 2nd, 2021 at 3:22pm

Took the new ones for a walk today.
Meh, they go straight. But nothing great.

Also they fly best with a moderate speed throw.
Best throw was probably about 40 metres.

They were chew proof.
But no fun.

So I think I’ll go back to the 12 slot design, keep the slightly thicker tail and drop the base back to 4mm.

That should make them relatively chew proof, but still keep the fun factor.

Without the active lift, they’re pretty boring Sad

With it they’re a fun new type of ammo. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #202 - Sep 28th, 2021 at 12:00pm

Slightly different approach to the disc sling.
This is the yoyo disc sling.

A standard yoyo would not be as good because the centre spindle in a yoyo is very small.
That causes balance issues.
So I made the centre spindle a lot thicker, which as can be seen, gives s lot of stability when the yoyo is on the cord.

It also means the yoyo can be thrown faster, as it needs fewer rotations to travel the length of the cord.

The yoyo weighs about 30gms.

I melted the end of the cord, then crushed it smooth with pliers. Otherwise the little melted blob would probably catch in the groove.

I like the way you can store the sling in the ammo Smiley

I've just replaced a sick motherboard on the printer and was looking for a test file.
No idea when I designed this, but it was labelled sling yoyo, so seemed appropriate Smiley

Not sure if I've printed one before or not noidea
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2021 at 1:14pm by Curious Aardvark »  

20210928_165631.gif (7298 KB | 34 )
20210928_165631.gif

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #203 - Sep 28th, 2021 at 2:15pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 31st, 2021 at 11:15am:
@iron goober. This was your idea, have you got access to a tpu capable 3d printer ? If not, bung me your address and I'll ship a couple across

Not sure how I missed this.  Yes, I do have a printer, but haven't tried TPU  yet. I've only done PLA and PET+. But my nozzle should go to 260C. I think I might just try them in PLA first. 

Are you going to put up a video of you slinging these?

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #204 - Sep 29th, 2021 at 9:39am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 28th, 2021 at 12:00pm:
This is the yoyo disc sling.

I love that idea!

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #205 - Sep 29th, 2021 at 12:31pm

Slinging Yoyoz thats awesome

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #206 - Oct 1st, 2021 at 7:47am

IronGoober wrote on Sep 28th, 2021 at 2:15pm:
Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 31st, 2021 at 11:15am:
@iron goober. This was your idea, have you got access to a tpu capable 3d printer ? If not, bung me your address and I'll ship a couple across

Not sure how I missed this.  Yes, I do have a printer, but haven't tried TPU  yet. I've only done PLA and PET+. But my nozzle should go to 260C. I think I might just try them in PLA first. 

Are you going to put up a video of you slinging these?

Possibly, but hoping Joe and Ryan will put up videos, as they've both got a couple aerofoils now Smiley

Most tpu runs best at 235-245
And yeah they work great in pla - just not dog proof.
I'll pop the latest stl up when I'm back in the workshop.

Haven't tried the yoyo sling yet, at the moment it's a one throw deal, so I'll make a couple dog proof ones before taking it for a proper walk Smiley

The flattened ends on the yoyo are just to make it easier to print. Before I make the tpu ones, I'll turn it into a rounded haxagon, which should print even cleaner ('clean' in additive manufacturing means, no attached bits of plastic or issues where you try to print at too sharp an underhand or overhang.) The base of the existing yoyo has a few minor issues at the base so changing the curve to a fixed angle line tends to get cleaner results.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #207 - Oct 1st, 2021 at 8:14am

Yoyo sling would be easy to make with a set of drill based hole saws.

Cut 2 40mm discs and one 20 and just glue together. The central drill hole should make it easy to get the balance right.
5 minutes with sand paper.

You could also cut a couple 30mm X 3mm and glue to the outside to give a bit more central weight.

You want the centre groove the same thickness as your cord. So 3mm plywood for that and cut the outer discs from a 1x4 bit of Pine shelving.
A bit if Dowling the same size as the central drill to hold it all together and aligned while the glue dried and you could probably knock these out in a few minutes.

This is all you need and some sand paper
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-58129-Holesaw-Set-Pieces/dp/B003UDFHL6/ref=mp_s_...

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #208 - Oct 1st, 2021 at 8:18am

A thread on Yoyo slings a while ago:
https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1592934960/0

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #209 - Oct 1st, 2021 at 8:30am

That'll be it, cheers Thumbs Up

Looks like I designed the thing, then got sidetracked and probably never made one.

Might have to see about making one of those mushroom shape acentric ones as well.

Reminds me of a space ship or space station from a film or tv series.
Just can't remember which one Smiley

Make it in 2 parts and try and keep the weights even.

How do you work out the volume of an ellipsoid ,?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)