Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Abstract Ammo Design 2021! (Read 22851 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Abstract Ammo Design 2021!
Reply #165 - Aug 19th, 2021 at 4:53pm

Those mold look awesome.  Love it

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #166 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 7:18am

Well there's a parcel heading your way, who knows what might fall into it whistle
First I have to figure out which way the bloody pointy bits need to point.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #167 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 12:37pm

So I'm waiting for a large file to download on my crappy broadband.
Had a sheet of 360gm card to hand.
So I started folding

I will say that getting a really tight fold in such thick card does require quite strong fingers.

The smallest were made from a business card sized rectangle, the biggest from A6 (A5 folded in half.
The next one down from A6 folded in half and the smallest from that folded in half.

Obviously they are folded in half and cut into two pieces. Otherwise not even Magnus samuelsson would be able to fold it into an aerofoil.

The small ones might work in a sling.

I'll get back to the clay torusses tonight.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #168 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 12:52pm

It actually turns out they all fit in a standard cap Paul sling.
The really small ones are probably too small.

20210820_175017.gif (233 KB | 23 )
20210820_175017.gif

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #169 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 3:29pm

So I took them for a walk.
No they don't sling well lol.
Just can't get a straight release.
Then dream turned round and spotted what I was doing.
And that was the end of the larger one.

So slings aren't much cop with these, but they launch great from a straight stick !

Unfortunately by the point I tried to video it, I only had one of the tiny ones left. The two previous throws vanished into bushes, and the one I tried to video also vanished lol.
And I really should have changed to a thinner stick Smiley

So if you pretend you're using a naked staff sling, yes you can sling them whistle

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #170 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 4:40pm

That was quick!

I am familiar with the shape, and have made many of the same kind. They are great!

I was thinking along the lines of something like your thick card ones (the latest). But maybe with a heavier ring (like 100g) and the tail being a 3d printed thin wall (or something like that).

But alas, maybe they are too wide to sling well. I would have thought that with the RPM that you can put on it out of a sling, it would lend well to slinging as long as you can get a correctly oriented release. Maybe that's a tall order with its form factor.

Thank you for the effort!

John R.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #171 - Aug 21st, 2021 at 4:33am

Anyone ever tried embedding fins in a clay glande like this thing? Clean release could be an issue I guess, but even off throws would give you rifling.

nerf_vortex.jpg (8 KB | 16 )
nerf_vortex.jpg

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #172 - Aug 21st, 2021 at 5:39am

@ig The thing with aerofoils is that they just don't need any spin.
Throwing them from a stick is probably as good as it gets.
A straight non-,spin release gets a really long throw.
Naked staff sling = a stick

@jp the tail and find on the NERF missile are there because you can't easily spin a glande sufficiently for stabilisation by hand.
The fins would actually interfere with the kind of spin a sling imparts, rather than help.
To throw the NERF best, hanging down point first and throwing with a staff sling, so it doesn't spin, would probably work best Smiley
If you wanted fins specifically for spin, then they'd need to be angled. The straight fins just inhibit spin.
A finned glande is easy enough to make and as long as the diameter of the glande is greater then the total width of the fins, should throw easily enough. But can't see fins doing much to help a slung glande.

Now I've got an idea of size, I'll make weighted cylinder from the bright yellow tpu. On the grounds it might be findable, and also -hopefully Dream proof. Though he is prone to laying under my chair in the workshop, chewing up something he's just stolen Smiley who knows if even polyurethane is tough enough.

But does anyone have an answer to my pointy bit orientation issue on the torussessess ?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #173 - Aug 21st, 2021 at 8:49am

You've been a very busy bee C_A Cheesy I love these designs. Really feels like there are boundaries being pushed.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #174 - Aug 21st, 2021 at 6:06pm

I think the torussessess have real potential, once I've got the central fins right.
Day off today. Low carb bread making and the world's best bouillabaisse. One of my signature dishes.
To put this into perspective, a normal bloomer loaf would contain around 300gms of carbs. This one has 50 Smiley
Mind you the 300gm of fibreflour cost around £3

But it'll last me a week Smiley

So back in the workshop tomorrow Smiley
Might go vice shopping as well.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #175 - Aug 22nd, 2021 at 8:38am

Currently got a chap talking to me about maybe getting a rather nice looking resin printer for review.
Now, over the last couple years I've had 4 different companies offering to send me a machine - so far not a single one has ever turned up.
I am apparently an industry influencer (so I've been told)  - but not yet on youtube, just on the worlds largest 3d printer forum.
I've had a few designing jobs out of it and been sent some interesting filaments to play with - but so far no actual printers have arrived.

Now personally I reckon the forum probably gives me more clout than the average 3d printing youtuber - and there are thousands of them, and only one of me on the forum.
But the marketing wallahs do tend to have tunnel vision.
So I will start putting some more videos up, just because it can't hurt Smiley

I'm not actually getting that excited, 'cos like I said, this is far from the first offer I've had.

However this chap is a little different, he's freelance and not directly working for a specific company, like most of them tend to.
And seems to have worked out that my recommendation will probably sell more machines than a low end youtuber.
So who knows.

And why, you ask am I telling you this ?

The detail level and model architecture you can achieve with a resin printer is just phenomenal.
It's proper movie spy gadget detail level.
And with the price of resin dropping rapidly and differnt types becoming more easily available, resin machines are becoming a good viable alternative for tougher prints.  Previously the resins were known for their inherent brittleness.
The resin is still nasty smelly sticky stuff and you have to wash the prints in isopropyl alcohol and then blast it with uv light to finish the curing. But detail level, oh yeah !

So things like the delayed action glandes, would be easily doable.
They hinge on a really precise and smooth spiral track and tiny housings for ball bearings, that I just can't do properly with an fdm system.

But with one of the new generation resin machines - it would be a piece of cake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDTnmKMrfZI
This would probably be the machine.

Anyway we'll see what occurs.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #176 - Aug 22nd, 2021 at 12:33pm

Any way...

So I'm back on the cad.

and I 'think' this will give lift for a right hand thrower.
Given how easy it is to orient missiles in the disc slings, having it one way only - should not be an issue (we'll see lol)

I can't see how you could make an anyway up disc for lift. I think it has to be a strictly 'this way up' operation.
If you believe otherwise - please tell me.

So this is what I'm going to make a mould for next, oh yeah I've also made the torussessessss 50mmx12 as opposed to 40x10:

And if anyone's wondering about the video process.
Xbox game bar to capture initial video.
Transfer to phone to crop and turn into a gif.i have tried a couple Windows based gif makers. But not a patch on gifmaker on the phone. Plus the phone renders video much much faster than my computer.

I'm not entirely sure about the central hub extending below the leading edge of the blades.
But trying to keep the weight as symmetrical and centred as possible.
Right now for the mould.

helirighttop.png (31 KB | 21 )
helirighttop.png
helirightbase.png (34 KB | 17 )
helirightbase.png
20210822_175252.gif (3207 KB | 19 )
20210822_175252.gif

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #177 - Aug 23rd, 2021 at 2:39pm

well it turns out you can't make a two part mould with lift. It creates an overhang that will simply trap the clay.

So we shift to plan b.

A central 3d printed insert to a clay torus.

Sort of like a horizontal turbo glande - well, exactly like it, if you want to be pedantic Smiley

Time to get my thinking hat on again.

Tell you what, if nothuing else, this thread has given my brain a serious workout Smiley

underhang.JPG (45 KB | 17 )
underhang.JPG

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #178 - Aug 24th, 2021 at 12:23pm

So current plan.
Just made a no fin torus.
I'll measure how much it shrinks by and then make the blade inserts so that they don't break the clay, but are locked in by the clay shrinking as it dries out.
So in a couple of days I'll have a much better idea on how big to make the fins/blades.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #179 - Aug 24th, 2021 at 3:08pm

JudoP wrote on Aug 21st, 2021 at 4:33am:
Anyone ever tried embedding fins in a clay glande like this thing? Clean release could be an issue I guess, but even off throws would give you rifling.

I think an important part would be to make sure the fins are angled.  In arrows this is called helical fletching.  Based on my limited experience with the ice arrows I made, there wouldn't be any rifling without it.  If the glande itself was grooved, it might.  But I think straight fins would actually fight against the spin.  I could be wrong though.  A strong initial rifle spin created by the sling might still keep going.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)