Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Abstract Ammo Design 2021! (Read 22847 times)
StoneHuevos
Tiro

Bet I can sling a rock
over them mountains!

Re: Abstract Ammo Design 2021!
Reply #135 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 1:12pm

All the corn are formed by hand. I tried using one of the CA original designs to mold, but the corn is too big, HOWEVER! Finer\smaller grains\finer bird seed  WILL work in CA moulds. Just have to be sure to properly dust\spray the inside of the mould before adding the mixture to compress.

Shameless plug: Corn Eggs are AMAZING! Make some and slang at a goose head.😆🤡🪨🥚🌽

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #136 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 4:10pm

@All-

Obviously this has gone on longer than initially expected. Im kinda hoping we see a few more designs. Oh well, plenty of time left in 2021. Perhaps we should leave it going a bit longer? If anyone feels differently please let me know thanks.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #137 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 7:21pm

I think the question can be answered pretty easily.  Is anyone else still planning to create a submission for this challenge?  If you are, drop in a post on this topic.

I'm with you Morphy.  If there are still any designs coming, I'd love to see them.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #138 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 12:04pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jul 18th, 2021 at 7:21pm:
I think the question can be answered pretty easily.  Is anyone else still planning to create a submission for this challenge?  If you are, drop in a post on this topic.

I'm with you Morphy.  If there are still any designs coming, I'd love to see them.

Ok great! Just wanted to make sure. This thread is so interesting to me and I know for a fact there are several prototypes that are quite fascinating if the respective people can get them up and running. In this case longer might be better and dont you say it you dirty , dirty man you!   Cool  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #139 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 1:04pm

That's what she...oh wait.....never mind.   Wink

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #140 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 1:19pm

I am desperate for sling stones because I started  smashing up old bricks and tiles from the rubble pile to cast
They actually sling remarkably well.  The trick is a light sling with a flat pouch and 200+ gram stones to make up for the bad shape, because the stones themselves have tremendous friction
Real sling stones Im all out of. I still have the occasional clay but mostly I am slinging rubble and the hammer has become my best ammo making tool.  In about 10 minuts I have 2 buckets full of rubble ready to sling

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Reply #141 - Jul 27th, 2021 at 8:07pm

Hmmm. Plastic easter eggs with 3/8" steel balls and tanerite??? Legal, or probably not? Hahaha

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Reply #142 - Jul 27th, 2021 at 8:09pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 19th, 2021 at 1:19pm:
I am desperate for sling stones because I started  smashing up old bricks and tiles from the rubble pile to cast
They actually sling remarkably well.  The trick is a light sling with a flat pouch and 200+ gram stones to make up for the bad shape, because the stones themselves have tremendous friction
Real sling stones Im all out of. I still have the occasional clay but mostly I am slinging rubble and the hammer has become my best ammo making tool.  In about 10 minuts I have 2 buckets full of rubble ready to sling

I have stones all over, and would be willing to collect and send for shipping costs

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #143 - Jul 29th, 2021 at 7:01am

The fixed distance glande.
Well the concept is 100% sound.
Just really fiddly and the parachutes would be a real sod to make.
Plus getting really smooth bearings is crucial and I ran out of enthusiasm lol.
It's a short window, if I don't have a working prototype in 2-3 days I tend to lose focus.

If anyone's got access to an SlS or binderjet printer, then you'd have no problem making them.
Thinking nooc or judopete here.

The idea is pretty simple.
You have a hollow glande in two parts, with a shaft through the middle. So you can fill the shell with clay or something similar and then screw it together.
You then have inserts.
Each insert comprises of a tube with spiral threads.
You then have a cartridge with bearings that engage the threads. The back of the cartridge has a parachute, it also has slanted air intakes.

By adjusting how many turns there are in the spiral track you can control how long it takes for the cartridge to travel through the centre of the glande.
When the cartridge runs through and the end protudes from the the back air is forced through the intakes, which pushes the parachute out the back and stops the glande.

It sounds complicated, but it's only one moving part.
The parachute cartridges are all the same, you just change the threaded inserts for different distance glandes.

Obviously (lol) the track stops before the parachute cartridge falls out and the inserts lock in to main glande body.

It's a pretty simple concept, but it does rely on really good bearings and very smooth tracks.

The actual design process is not complicated. But for a smallish glande an fdm printer us going to struggle.
Plus to make it seriously tough and virtually unbreakable, it all needs to be made from polyurethane, and that doesn't print totally smooth as it's prone to stringing.
An SlS machine using nylon would make them just as tough and have no issues with the required precision.

I'm pretty sure if you can make them that they will work. The parachute is the only thing that might break and also the fiddliest to make

So anyway, that's that idea.

At the moment my vote is definitely for the edible/biodegradable glandes.
I love those Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #144 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 1:33am

Well CA I’m pleased to say that initial test seems pretty good on the jet glande. Not sure exactly if it’s created thrust but definitely flys point first!!
I’ll continue testing

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #145 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 3:31am

So for the record I sent all the turbo glande kit to mersa as part of the world record delayed sith package Smiley

Looks good !

My problem was that I just wasn't sure they were flying fan first or not lol

Keep playing mate, it's such a good idea it has to work whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #146 - Jul 31st, 2021 at 1:24pm

Clay diabolo "pellets"

Diabolo_clay_1.jpg (366 KB | 21 )
Diabolo_clay_1.jpg
Diabolo_clay_2.JPG (345 KB | 31 )
Diabolo_clay_2.JPG

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #147 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 4:33am

Oooo I really want to see how these do.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #148 - Aug 1st, 2021 at 5:14pm

Giant airgun pellets !
I've used all of those Smiley

Interesting to see how they fly

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #149 - Aug 2nd, 2021 at 10:30am

They fly very straight. The bottom cavity can also be painted inside so you that can see them at all times (This would be particularly beneficial for metal versions). Had the idea while making "Cortaillod" projectiles (of which there is some resemblance).

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15)