Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Abstract Ammo Design 2021! (Read 22840 times)
IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Abstract Ammo Design 2021!
Reply #105 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 8:25pm

I don't like teasers man! I like instant gratification. Why do you torture me so?

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #106 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 8:28pm

Nice Joe! Ok now I have to ask because this falls in line with an idea for ammo I had...

Does the feather twist correlate with the spin your sling produces???  Cheesy

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #107 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 8:39pm

Nice Joe!  Can’t wait to see the video!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #108 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 9:39pm

Morphy wrote on Apr 27th, 2021 at 8:28pm:
Does the feather twist correlate with the spin your sling produces???

Unfortunately not.  I used pretty junky old arrows, so no helical fletching.  Sad

But some good news.  I wanted to see the video too, so I've got it cut together already.  Doing a final review now and will get it uploaded.  So hang tight guys!  You should have it in an hour or so!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #109 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 11:00pm

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #110 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 11:38pm

Nice Joe!  I think you could help the tangling issue just by adding a small loop on the retention cord that the end of the arrow fits into.  They sure flew straight after about 10 yards or so. I wonder how they'd do with some power behind them.

John R.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #111 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 3:51am

Those work amazingly well! I did not expect them to line up that quickly but they flew incredibly straight. An advantage with this is the enemy can#t sling them back at you Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #112 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 4:10am

That was an awesome video, I think with a little fiddling you could really make them work. Imagine the satisfaction of consistency, always hitting point first , would be cool to watch  as you throw. And lighted nocks, night slinging.

I really dig it !!

Well done joe
Video was quality as always

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #113 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 11:46am

I cant help but always be amazed see fletching orientate projectiles in slow motion. Maybe its because Im in Texas but it remind me of a cowboy riding bucking bull. Yee Haw!

Seriously though love it bro!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #114 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 8:56pm

Thanks guys!  I was quite shocked by the video and how well those things worked.  I was expecting a random tumble after the release.  Although I guess there's no reason why they wouldn't fly similarly to a dart or the kestros that Sarosh has worked with.

IronGoober wrote on Apr 27th, 2021 at 11:38pm:
I think you could help the tangling issue just by adding a small loop on the retention cord that the end of the arrow fits into.

That could work.  Trying to keep the projectile stable in the pouch definitely restricted the speed that could be used.  I'll make another batch and give it a try.  I wish I could make them more quickly.  With the arrows sticking up, I can only get 6 in the freezer at a time.

Morphy wrote on Apr 28th, 2021 at 11:46am:
I cant help but always be amazed see fletching orientate projectiles in slow motion.

That makes two of us.  I wish I had left more ice arrows for the camera being set up next to the target.  There were only two left at that point.  But I think that last slow motion shot was by far the coolest one.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #115 - May 2nd, 2021 at 11:27am

love the ice arrows. Thumbs Up

so the obvious question: which is the more accurate: Iceballs with OR without the arrow shaft ? 

And when does the green costume and pointy ears arrive ?
Just asking for my mate gannon...

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #116 - May 2nd, 2021 at 12:37pm

Who is still planning on posting a submission? I have some ideas but they are barely even worthy of being called abstract. My feathered dirtclod I think is too ahead of its time so I might need to put it aside for a couple years.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #117 - May 2nd, 2021 at 10:09pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 2nd, 2021 at 11:27am:
so the obvious question: which is the more accurate: Iceballs with OR without the arrow shaft ?

Thanks CA!

Not sure on the accuracy question yet.  I definitely want to play around with these a little more.  Although one problem is that I only have 10 of those shafts.  I'm going to try to get a few more together, but the rest of my "junk" arrows are in pretty bad shape.  I'm probably going to need to put new fletchings on them to be usable.  With only 10, sling sessions are very short and I don't really have a feel for them as a projectile yet.

I think I need to switch the ice out for something reusable.  But then the ice explosion is lost.  Sad

Oh, and green suit will be coming near the end of October.  Wink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #118 - May 4th, 2021 at 12:33pm

why not use squash balls filled with epoxy putty, shove the shaft in and you've got re-useable ice-free 'ice arrows'.
ready to throw in about 10 minutes.

Add a few detonator caps at the end with a small incendiary, before adding the epoxy and shaft and you've got some 'Fire Arrows' Smiley

But squash balls and epoxy Thumbs Up 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #119 - May 8th, 2021 at 9:07am

Great video Joe.  That’s pretty awesome how it stabilizes in flight halfway through the flight.  Have you tried sticking the arrow out sideways instead of in line with the cords?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man)