Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Abstract Ammo Design 2021! (Read 22842 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Abstract Ammo Design 2021!
Reply #90 - Apr 24th, 2021 at 2:42pm

Ive said this to others but if you could make a simple, reliable and effective autostop ammo it would be arguably the most important advancement to slinging since lead glandes. 

The more Ive used the sling for target slinging the more Ive found that one of the so called benefits : being able to use any ammo, is one of its greatest draw backs because people do just that. They use whatever they can find and 5-50 years later wonder why they never learned to aim it. 

The other option is a rather massive backstop so you can use really good ammo and that has its own difficulties. An autostop ammo would be an amazing advancement and if it was proven to work I would have multiple sets for hiking and slinging at parks, etc.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #91 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 9:14am

I'm fairly sure the 'distance measuring' part is not going to be the problem.
I also think the reusable is: virtually indestructible part is also fairly doable.
It's the parachute mechanism. Which needs to be both easy to reload, lightweight and really strong. The energy stored in even a fairly light glande will put a lot of strain on the parachute cord anchoring points.

Then there's fitting the entire thing into a small, interchangeable unit so one missile can be used at different distances.

So far I think I've solved everything had the parachute.
Just got to make some prototypes and see what sorts of springs I have around.

We'll see Smiley

Ah...
(  Lightbulb moment) I may have been overthinking it.

Now I think I need some really tiny ball bearings and no springs lol

I wil point out that if these work, they will not be cheap as there's a Lot of work involved In making something 'simple' to use.
But they will be weight adjustable and available in different sizes.
Hmm might also need a soldering iron......

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #92 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 9:17am

Good People of Slinging.Org!!!

Hear Ye, Hear Ye!

May 10th is the aforementioned final day for Ye Olde Abstract Ammo Design thread!! Be sure and get your ammo posted and attain Eternal, unending GLORY as a winner on the 2020-2021 Slinging.Org Winners thread for ALL ETERNITY or until Jan. 1, 2022. Whichever comes first!!!

Since after 2021 we can only be sure the zombie apocalypse will be coming and not when its coming, please keep in mind whatever you post may very well help the remnant of humanity survive through Earth's darkest days since an asteroid wiped out giant, flamboyant reptiles.

All who post viable designs will have their own indvidual thread started discussing the wonder that is them. Please post whatever you can think off. It doesnt have to be 3d printed super ammo but can be if you wish. NOOC yours will be required to be 4d printed ammo. Preferably from a printer scavanged from the Ottoman Empire.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #93 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 10:32am

I was rather hoping noc would make robotic homing glandes. That after landing, sprouted little legs and ran back to the exact point they were slung from !

Remember the robotic 'cookies' in despicable me ?
like that Smiley
But slingable !

Well I've got my indestructible screw together hollow shells done. The idea being that you can fill them with the substrate of your choice to add extra weight and lethality.
And the ball bearings arrived.
Um, yeah lol do you have any idea how small 2mm ball bearings are ?
Too damn small is the answer.
Gonne need 3 or 4 mm I reckon.

But the single hardest part is still the parachute. The kind of force that is going to hit that thing when it opens is pretty scary. I'll gather some tent material this evening and see how it stacks up.

(did you notice he said 'when it opens' I like that - that's unfounded confidence is that !)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #94 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 11:17am

I have asked him to make stuff like that!!! But he keeps coming back with the whole "Mortgage and kids and eating food" nonsense excuses.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #95 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 6:27pm

Oh god I’m falling behind

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #96 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 8:52pm

Wow!  Didn't realize this was only a month.

I've gathered the things I need for mine.  I'll try to make some tonight and/or tomorrow.  A test video likely won't be in before the deadline, but I'll definitely have a picture up.  Unless what I'm planning doesn't work at all.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #97 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 7:33am

parachutes.
parachutes are attached with cords. In this case to an object that is spinning rapidly.
Soooooo, you either need a bearing on the parachute anchoring point to counteract the spinning of the glande or - something that is not a parachute lol

The tent material is tough - but then I thought of the spinnig, rapidly turning the cords into a single braided line and closing the parachute up.

Th rest of it is going swimmingly lol 

Anyone got any ideas what you could use to stop a fast moving rapidly spinning object in mid air ?
That is not a parachute.
Oh and can fit into a cylindrical space approx 30mm long and 8mm diameter.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #98 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 8:12am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 27th, 2021 at 7:33am:
parachutes.
parachutes are attached with cords. In this case to an object that is spinning rapidly.
Soooooo, you either need a bearing on the parachute anchoring point to counteract the spinning of the glande or - something that is not a parachute lol

The tent material is tough - but then I thought of the spinnig, rapidly turning the cords into a single braided line and closing the parachute up.

Th rest of it is going swimmingly lol

Anyone got any ideas what you could use to stop a fast moving rapidly spinning object in mid air ?
That is not a parachute.
Oh and can fit into a cylindrical space approx 30mm long and 8mm diameter.

the parachute can be attached to a fine braided fishing line that will absorb a lot of  the twist, the more it needs to absorb the longer it should be.

Another way would be for the projectile itself to open and close like a flower with a springloaded timer and get stopped like a shuttlecock.

both ideas are a pain, parachute untangling and repackaging and timer adjusting and losing expensive intricate ammo in bushes or breaking.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #99 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 8:57am

I’m calling for an extension on this , this thread is to good to end soon !!!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #100 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 9:45am

Ah ha !
thanks sarosh, that solves it Smiley

I was going to attach all four anchor points to the glande. But having them go down to a single cord and anchor point instead, makes a lot more sense.

'Timed' deployment of the parachute should not be a problem.
'Should' being the operative word whistle

The whole flower/flaps opening out would probably be too fiddly.

Bear in mind that this is going to be slung at hard targets.
ie: the parachute should only deplot if you miss the target.

So the fewer the parts the better, and each part needs to be incredibly robust.
I'm basically sticking to a super tough rubber material for all parts.
It's as near indestructible as you can get, but will also let you print pretty fine detail and it's reasonably priced lol

At the moment, I'm down to 4 total components (the glande shell is 2) and one moving part, plus the parachute.

It all looks good - in theory lol
But as the saying goes: No battle plan survives contact with the enemy !

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #101 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 1:49pm

Alright, alright... your attempts to bait me have finally been noticed.

I present to you:

4D printed walking robot cookie super-stealth ammo!

Unfortunately the design was locked in a secret underground bunker and the I’m still trying to find the one I made. I really should have taken a picture before I threw it.  Embarrassed

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #102 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 2:06pm

Mersa wrote on Apr 27th, 2021 at 8:57am:
I’m calling for an extension on this , this thread is to good to end soon !!!!!

I’ll second that. I don’t have time for another project right now, but I might be able to participate if it’s extended another 18 years so my kids are out of the house.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #103 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 6:59pm

It never occurred to me while making them, but as soon as I took one out of the mold I realized that I reinvented the ice arrows from Ocarina of Time.  Grin

Testing has been recorded.  I still have to cut the video together.  No spoilers here, but it will be coming in the next few days.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #104 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 8:22pm

Oh yeah joe
You know how to get me excited!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)