Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Are the Spaniards right? (Read 2050 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Are the Spaniards right?
Reply #15 - Mar 30th, 2021 at 7:37am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 30th, 2021 at 6:46am:
given the opening premise is nonsense. Not sure where to go really.

Most balearics have the retention loop over the middle finger so very few use a narrow grip.

And any stone movement is die to the really stiff nature of the balearic sling pouches.

With a leather pouch that actually hold your ammo securely - there is no movement.

It's an invalid argument based on an incorrect premise.
what more is there to say ?

Of course a wide grip introduces oscillations into the pouch and stone when rotoring. It's the inevitable byproduct of the space between the cords and the swinging of the wrist.  The larger this space between the cords,the greater the oscillations. It's easy to test, put the loop on your pinkie and you will see. As a result some make a very stiff pouch or in your case, you use very secure cupped leather pouch (capt. paul?) to prevent preponed releases.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Reply #16 - Mar 30th, 2021 at 3:14pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 30th, 2021 at 6:46am:
given the opening premise is nonsense. Not sure where to go really.

Most balearics have the retention loop over the middle finger so very few use a narrow grip.

And any stone movement is die to the really stiff nature of the balearic sling pouches.

With a leather pouch that actually hold your ammo securely - there is no movement.

It's an invalid argument based on an incorrect premise.
what more is there to say ?

Agreed. This sling had more premature releases than regular ones, until I added the leather strip around the one side. Now it is one of my most secure, fastest to reload slings, with no noticeable oscillating, or roling. It hasn't ejected prematurely since I did that too. I gotta say with one side leather wrapped I think I am onto something, it seems to impart a trajectory correction on my ammo, if that makes sense. One side is almost slick and the other side imparts most of the spin, which in theory will correct some after release wobble in the ammo.

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #17 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 3:40pm

One more comment on precision slings. You are free to disagree. For me, a precision sling has certain characteristics when loaded with a stone of a certain shape and size. The sling cords must not twist / move back and forth - which I have called oscillations - when moving the wrist - when I utilize the Spanish ''Tecnica de precision'' Grip, but must stay taut, responding very directly to my wrist. The weight and shape of the stone should be selected by placing a stone in the cradle of the sling, starting from a low weight of stone, and then working upwards, until oscillations begin. I use the weight of stone just before the oscillations begin. Then I have discovered the right weight of stone for the sling. Now I have optimal pouch orientation control using the tightest no-gap grip possible, which means that I will sacrifice no pouch orientation control if I were to opt for a wider grip, and I will also have ideal weight of stone to push open the release cord without too much delay. Lately I have been using such a setup and building my slings according to my theory and I have notificed significant increases in my accuracy and consistency thereof. My ideal precision sling currently is one that is very symmetric, with the pouch being fully symmetric, and both
the weight, shape, size and stiffness of the release cord being virtually identical to the weight, shape, size and stiffness of the retention cord, like the hemp sling I posted recently in pictures thread. You may notice ht has no tapered release cord, or an overly stiff retention cord,  or a center of mass located in a ''belly''. These technical attributes messes with my theory.  The sling is already quite complex. Currently for optimal balance I find it hard to imagine anything else other than both cords being equal/symmetric. Other wise one will twist more than the other (thus the retention cord has to made stiffer to balance it out?)

Please don't take this too seriously, its my theoretical ramblings based on personal experiences and a lot fo testing, and you may just be totally fine with a completely different approach.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #18 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 5:15pm

I do think you may be on to something with your twist test J... I’m not convinced that stiffer is always better, but the test does teach you something about a sling’s behavior either way.

https://youtu.be/mRBFTuVh2Jk

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Reply #19 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 5:35pm

Personally I like my slings to be stiff enough that when hanging in my grip the pouch responds and moves with my hand twist with minimal lag. I also do seem to prefer having my loop on my middle finger and hold the retention end with my thumb and index finger. It is a semi wide grip, but with the slings I make it is perfect to hold the ammo secure, but not so secure it throws off the trajectory upon release. I can feel that when I'm winding up the sling responds to the slightest tweaks in angle/rotation. So far I like stiffer cords, particularly on a split pouch, because they feel more consistent, and get twisted less, plus the pouch doesn't open to prematurely launch as easily. I also like more flexible cords too, with a formed pouch. So it really has too mainy variables for me to pick my sure thing favorite yet. I do lean towards stiffer more though.

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #20 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 6:34pm

Dont apologize J, this is fascinating as are so many of your theories. This is the kind of tuning we need to look into. Ive been considering what you have been saying about oscillations. I do like the idea. I know NOOC has done a little looking into it as well.

Im not prepared to discount any theory. And I find the less a theory is proposed as fact the more, not less, I am convinced of the need to look into it. I suppose that is just human psychology. Now I am rambling. Guess Im saying dont give up on your quest and please keep posting.

Also could you post videos of you slinging at targets. You know if you have time. Maybe like unedited videos so perhaps we also could see your progress as you make changes into sling design.

Im sure you know this but research and design is my thing when it comes to primitive weapons so everything you are saying interests me greatly.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #21 - Apr 2nd, 2021 at 11:04am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 5:15pm:
I do think you may be on to something with your twist test J... I’m not convinced that stiffer is always better, but the test does teach you something about a sling’s behavior either way.

https://youtu.be/mRBFTuVh2Jk

Thank you for your interest. I make my slings stiff enough now so that they don't wist back and forth when I do, what you do in that video, including when unloaded. Because its hard to achieve what I want, when the sling already oscillates without any ammo. There are some design elements I adhere to that are very good for achieving this, and some elements I have to avoid.
It is definitely possible to achieve it also with round cords if one desires. Even thin round cords, as long as they are stiff enough. But then I make a retention tab under the fingerloop, to press the release cord against. I can show it if anyone wants. But I prefer flat cords for this technique. I hope to make some more of my slings and send them abroad for others to test.

I've been using the no-gap tight grip the last week or 2 and I definitely like it. Starting to think it's the most optimal way to sling, granted the slings and ammo fulfills my requirements according my theory. I no longer need a wide grip, or any cord seperation, for spiral throws and pouch orientation control. It's very fulfilling feeling to spiral clean with such a tight grip. I always loved the idea of a tight grip and it was one of the thing that drew me to Y-slings, because I thought it was only logical for the y-sling. And after I left that Y-sling I felt I simply had to come to terms with using a wide grip with friction-slings. Now I have discovered I don't really need a wide grip as long as I tune my sling and ammo right.

Engineering my slings so that I can spiral clean even with a tight no-gap grip definitely sets an interesting design precedent/standard requirement  for me. But I can fully sympathize why setting this precedent may sound unappealing to others. I tend to sacrifice raw efficency, and ease of construction, and being able to chuck anything I want as effectively, with such a standard. It's the price to be paid.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)