Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Are the Spaniards right? (Read 2052 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Are the Spaniards right?
Mar 26th, 2021 at 10:13am

The way to prevent a sling pouch from oscillating up and down, which causes the rolling of the ammo in the pouch back and forth, caused by cord seperation in the hand, as a result of the turning of the wrist during the rotor, is to totally eliminate the cord seperation in the hand, and eliminate the wide grip from the equation altogether. And instead, grip both cords together, with the release cord above the retention cord (side by side), so that their length during the rotor is not varied.

This seats the projectile very securely, which in turn allows a less cupped pouch, and a lesser chance of premature slippage of the projectile from the pouch. The prevention of the swaying of the ammo might also have a minimal effect on accuracy.

The generally accepted way to get consistent pouch angle control is to eliminate side ways oscillation of the sling cords and pouch (twisting.), and achieve taut cords that respond very directly to the wrist, and this is achievable by finding the right balanced projectile for your sling and through various technical means utilized in the sling's construction, or widening the grip and increasing the cord seperation in the hand.

Now my questions is, is the wide grip many of us use, including myself, merely a bandaid for a ''badly'' balanced and/or engineerd sling and/or projectile?

Many of us use a wide grip, the argument being it gives us a greater control over the pouch angle and a cleaner release. But what if we engineered our slings so that we wouldn't need a wide grip to get this pouch angle control and clean release we seek? What if we could obtain this control over the angle of the sling and a very clean release, even with a tight grip on both cords?

In my opinion this is attainable, and the most susceptible way to achieve both things seems to be through a rather wide  corded, flat, sling. This type of sling, when balanced with the right projectile,  has very little oscillations to the side, due to its twist resistance and it not being able to bend freely in all directions. This in turn allows a very tight grip, without sacrificing pouch angle control, thus eliminating up and down oscillations at the same time.

This might explain, why a wide grips are a rarity on the Balaeric islands, due to their flatter slings, and why wide grips are more popular with round  and thinner slings.

Here is a quick video I shot, it's not about accuracy or power or form, but it's to show the tight grip I talked about and the flat sling in action. I wasn't convinced I could obtain this type of pouch angle control and clean release with a tight grip, until I used such a flat twist resistant sling. But I have yet to determine if I will stick to this tight grip, having used a wide grip for years.
https://youtu.be/zxEUiuom96k

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Are the Spaniards right?
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 10:33am

Here's the grip in more detail

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 12:22pm

Screenshot from my video last summer, showing a spiral release with no cord separation (at the hand).
Around that time I favoured having the loop on the index finger and gripping the release cord next to it.
This was the throw that hit the plate.

Sling_release.PNG (833 KB | 19 )
Sling_release.PNG

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 12:35pm

I see where you are going with this J. Its certainly an interesting idea. I wont say I know either way but I can say that for me personally I usually use a wide grip and ive never had much of an issue with improper spin so long as Im doing everything else right/normal.

"Now my questions is, is the wide grip many of us use, including myself, merely a bandaid for a ''badly'' balanced and/or engineerd sling and/or projectile?"

I do really like this line of questioning because this is IMO exactly what heavy ammo is in target practice. Although for tournaments it makes perfect sense.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 2:34pm

The major downside of a wide grip is the projectile swaying/rolling in the pouch back and forth. This means the projectile is seated less secure.
Not improper spin! To get proper spin is the reason why many use a wide grip in the first place. I have to use a wide grip on my paracord slings or I often lose complete control over the axis of the pouch and get bad releases, sometimes with the biconical spinning nearly vertical. So the wide grip is a bandaid there, to help me control the orientation of the pouch.

I am talking about engineering the sling in a certain way so that you don't need to use the wide grip to get proper spin axis/orientation control, and instead have this control even with a tight grip due to certain sling/ammo characteristics/qualities, and questioning if this is the way to go for precision slinging. I certainly do think the tight grip allows for a ''less secure'' pouch due to the lack of swaying/rolling of the projectile.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 3:00pm

For example, those very smooth/slippery stones you used in that video you posted awhile ago, Morphy. I somehow doubt you would have had as many premature releases if you used a very tight grip like I posted in 2 photo's above me. At least this is my experience with the tight grip. On the contrast, when I use a wide grip and very smooth stones, with a very clean releasing-pouch like a Balaeric split, it can lead to the stone flying out during the rotor. Maybe give the tight, Spanish grip a try with your Balaeric sling and smooth stones and report back?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 3:02pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Mar 26th, 2021 at 3:00pm:
For example, those very smooth/slippery stones you used in that video you posted awhile ago, Morphy. I somehow doubt you would have had as many premature releases if you used a very tight grip like I posted in 2 photo's above me. At least this is my experience with the tight grip. On the contrast, when I use a wide grip and very smooth stones, with a very clean releasing-pouch like a Balaeric split, it can lead to the stone flying out during the rotor. Maybe give the tight, Spanish grip a try with your Balaeric sling and smooth stones and report back?

Of course you are right J. But my apache sling didnt drop a single stone. Plus it sings me to sleep.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 3:03pm

Yes, that's a solution when one wants to stick to a wide grip and smooth slippery stones, opt for a more secure pouch, I would do the same...

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 3:05pm

But dont get me wrong. What you are saying not only makes sense I think its a really important point. I just have no clue if its right or not. But i enjoyed reading it and look forward to any tests you can do on it.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 3:08pm

I don't know whether it's the way to go. I have used a wide grip for years. Using these flat slings and right ammo combinations, with a tight grip and experiencing the lack of swaying/rolling while still getting good orientation is certainly interesting. It feels very rustic to sling this way. It looks aesthetic too. But I am not sure yet if it's worth fully focusing on. If you get good orientation without a wide grip, you might still get even better orientation with one. And the wide grip sure is an amazing bandaid for less than optimal setups.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 3:21pm

Personally I've never had a problem with the projectile rolling around in the pouch.  I pretty much stays put.  I guess I'm lucky.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 8:14pm

Which Spaniards do you mean?  In fact, there are different types of grips in Spain and the Balearic Islands.  Some always use the same handle type, others vary.  I vary myself.  For me it depends on the sling and whether I shoot stone or ball.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2021 at 3:46am

Jaegoor, don't take the title about the Spaniards too seriously  Cheesy. It's how I stereotypically differentiated two generalized groups of slingers, the international Gringos here on slinging.org including myself, and the Spanish slingers in Spain and the Isles. But of course, the Spanish all use very personalized methods to hold the sling and so do we Gringos.

To be on topic. I still think the wide grip is useful. But I see it as a stop-gap measure at the moment. The same when I use Greek style to circumvents multiple rotations, if multiple rotations would result in my cords twisting around each other. A bandaid, a stop-gap measure, a temporary measure or short-term fix used until something better can be obtained.

What does the wide grip do ask I myself. It partially opens the sling already whilst in the hand. Thus the projectile is
seated less secure. Why would we want this? For less than ideal projectiles that could hang up in the sling
(edgy, angular rock) it might be useful for accuracy to have reduced friction by slinging a partially opened sling.
It can be also useful when its not possible to control the pouch orientation properly with a tight grip due to the nature
of your sling/projectile combination, to prevent the cords from radically twisting around each other.
Of course for many its just the way they slung always and is most comfortable keeping it that way. Not trying to convince anyone here to do anything different, just trying to educate.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Mar 30th, 2021 at 6:11am

I usually hold with my middle finger.  When I shoot very light ammunition, I also like to use my little finger.  But it depends on which sling I use.  Whether I shoot sidehand or overhand also determines my grip.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Mar 30th, 2021 at 6:46am

given the opening premise is nonsense. Not sure where to go really.

Most balearics have the retention loop over the middle finger so very few use a narrow grip.

And any stone movement is die to the really stiff nature of the balearic sling pouches.

With a leather pouch that actually hold your ammo securely - there is no movement.

It's an invalid argument based on an incorrect premise.
what more is there to say ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris)