Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Re: Pellet bow
Reply #30 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 12:47pm

Slyngorm wrote on Apr 17th, 2021 at 3:31pm:
I disagree.
I have so far used little finger nail sized clay pellets and fired them a reasonable distance. Now I have also used thumb nail sized clay pellets and found that they fly longer if anything. And that is with my novice home made bow, made with a bad bow wood that has been fire hardened way to much. Finally, I probably haven't made a max draw yet (cause I don't know how long that is). A professional bow definitely could fire a golf ball sized rock several tens of meters at a pretty low angle.

A problem with bigger ammo though is that it misfires much more easily. I think this is because it more easily rolls around in the pouch.
Your pouch design sounds very good and I might look into it someday. I think a simpler solution is to make a pouch that is wider than the width of the string split so it acts like a slingshot pouch.

I'd imagine one would generally be throwing projectiles that are lighter than traditional arrows? Coupled with the grip that puts a cap on power, you are also trading the penetration capabilities of a bow for energy in blunt force trauma, which isn't much. All that aside, I can see this being a very effective small game weapon, as it's accurate and the pellets could be very cheap.   

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #31 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 2:53pm

Typical arrow weight is around 500 grains for a mid range 50# bow. Well...around there anyways depending on the set up.

500 grains is slighlty more than 1 oz. The real question is how fast a stone would be going once at range. Say 10-25 meters. A stone wouldnt lose any energy to oscillation. But also would have more drag than an arrow. How much more would be interesting to know since an arrow does have fletching.

So how fast would it go? With a really well made bow and if you could optimize the string to be as light as possible a 14 gram stone which is still a decent weight for slingshot hunting would be the equivalent of ~5grains per pound. Which should have quite a fast velocity. Well over 200fps but probably quite a good bit faster.

You would have to worry about potential breakage of the bow shooting such light ammo but some can tolerate it.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #32 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 9:48pm

I always shot 44 cal round balls with my sling shots. Not pebbles. Wouldn't 44 plus round balls work better than pebbles with these bows?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #33 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 10:02pm

A .66 cal lead ball would get you to right at an ounce and have similar drag if not less than an arrow. Bet that would be an excellent small game weapon. Really, really excellent if you could learn to aim well.

The only difficulty would be designing the pull mechanism that would allow pulling a full strength bow while holding the pouch securely. Im sure theres a way. With a #55 bow you are talking a serious small game weapon.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #34 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 10:12pm

If we could get past the pulling issue a pellet bow could put out numbers equal with quite a strong slingshot. Mostly because no one I know of is shooting a slingshot in the #55 range with a pinch grip. So while it might shoot a little slower with lighter ammo, with 1 oz ammo I bet it could keep up. If not outshoot a pinch grip sling shot. This is all really interesting.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #35 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 7:21am

Well there are slingshot trigger mechanisms that would work with a pellet bow I think. They hold the pouch together and so stop the ammo moving before release.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #36 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 12:30pm

Have with the current bow hurled 1-3 gram, oval/globular, fired clay pellets, measuring 1-2 cm in length, a little over 15 meters and could easily have gotten at least 20 meters at a fairly low angle. They often fracture on impact with the metal wall behind the wooden board I aim at. 

Kick wrote on Apr 21st, 2021 at 7:21am:
Well there are slingshot trigger mechanisms that would work with a pellet bow I think. They hold the pouch together and so stop the ammo moving before release.

The pellet bow needs to be primitive and simple. That sounds too much like a stonebow.

Archaic Arms wrote on Apr 20th, 2021 at 12:47pm:
Coupled with the grip that puts a cap on power,

Ehh, that might be true for the current grip but that could be solved with another design. Sketching new ones as we write. Thinking of something like the current grip except it is attached diagonally to the bow so that it's held like you would a regular bow but automatically twisted. Or a wristbrace protruding from the grip like on some slingshots. This model and design is called a wrist-rocket btw.
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2021 at 4:09pm by Slyngorm »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #37 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 3:27pm

Kick wrote on Apr 21st, 2021 at 7:21am:

Yes, true. One could also simply modify a compound mechanical release. But ideally I would like a design that could be made and used in a primitive setting although admittedly that just me.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #38 - Jul 20th, 2021 at 2:54pm

Made a tiny double pellet bow.

IMG_2574.JPG (372 KB | 54 )
IMG_2574.JPG
IMG_2567.JPG (380 KB | 55 )
IMG_2567.JPG

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #39 - Nov 14th, 2021 at 4:03pm

Full draw, double bow.
This thing can shoot both arrows and pellets. It has a notch carved into its handle for arrows.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/HmWgf1J4c5CS/
https://www.bitchute.com/video/bYnqn6C9iYe5/

dobble.jpg (416 KB | 54 )
dobble.jpg

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #40 - Nov 15th, 2021 at 12:02am

Oh, that's dang cool! Nice work.

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #41 - Nov 15th, 2021 at 6:23am

Although Slyngorm and I have talked about this pretty extensively in private I want to reiterate just how cool this is on here. The ability to make a primitive non-rubber based slingshot that can also shoot arrows is simply mad. I love it! Lol.  This also seems much easier and more straightforward to aim than your traditional pellet bow.

The whole non rubber primitive slingshot is actually a really neat "paleo-engineering" thought experiment. I would love to see more people try to tackle this as well some day.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #42 - Nov 16th, 2021 at 3:48am

Super cool! What sort of distances can you get?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #43 - Nov 20th, 2021 at 2:05pm

Will make an introduction to double bows some time. Though there is very little info.
Here is the one I made this summer.

IronGoober wrote on Nov 15th, 2021 at 12:02am:
Oh, that's dang cool! Nice work.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks  Grin  Grin Grin

Morphy wrote on Nov 15th, 2021 at 6:23am:
The ability to make a primitive non-rubber based slingshot that can also shoot arrows is simply mad.

Yup yup yup. It is the best feel to have such a thing. Still can't get over how cool it is.

Morphy wrote on Nov 15th, 2021 at 6:23am:
This also seems much easier and more straightforward to aim than your traditional pellet bow.

It is so much nicer. No more straining your grip on the single pellet bow.

Kick wrote on Nov 16th, 2021 at 3:48am:
Super cool! What sort of distances can you get?

Arrows: at least 50 meters
Pellets (1,5-2 cm, spherical stone, fired at a 45 degree angle): little over 30 meters.
I don't know how much that is compared to a slingshot. But the wooden dividers and pouch takes a real toll on the power.

IMG_2734.JPG (453 KB | 54 )
IMG_2734.JPG

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #44 - Feb 25th, 2022 at 11:49am

Made a new kind of double bow.
This one is made from a curving staff, split in two along its straight axis.

IMG_3281.JPG (291 KB | 45 )
IMG_3281.JPG
IMG_3279.JPG (246 KB | 47 )
IMG_3279.JPG

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)