Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Pellet bow (Read 13011 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Pellet bow
Reply #15 - Mar 28th, 2021 at 9:23pm

This is on my list of things to make. Ive wanted one for a long time. Always worried I would break my hand though lol. Ive seen some people that are extremely good with them.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #16 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 3:17am

Yeah he’s obviously not a slinger or seen anyone sling. Need to chuck on some Armor and see what 200grams @52m/ps feels like. Pretty sure he’s mind would change

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 9:49am

Yeah it's ridiculous. Slings struggle with even light armor? Imagine being so off the mark.  Huh

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #18 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 10:19am

That guy in the video knows precisely poopy about slings. You can tell a lot of these people are under the impression people were slinging pebbles against armored opponents. Typical youtube expert. See those a lot.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2021 at 9:29pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #19 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 10:39am

That video is super old now though. I would love for him to talk about it again and in more detail.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #20 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 9:15pm

Matt Easton is actually an extremely knowledgable guy.  Although I completely agree that slings aren't really part of his expertise.  That said, if the only information one is theorizing with is that the use of slings went down as the quality of armour went up, I find it hard to argue with his conclusion.  It's experience with the weapon which shows us that armour can hardly be the entire story.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #21 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 11:35am

Hey here are some updates.
I made a new bow and this one is really powerful. Unlike the previous bows this one could very well be used for bird hunting and something like that.

When trying an alternative string design I realized how important string stability (i.e. the less easily the pouch spins around itself) is so here are some thoughts on that. All this discussion was made in relation to the twist technique.

String stability
Basically, the more stable pouch the more accurate the pellet bow is.
Some sketches of possible string designs.

My two first bows had design #1. Starting out this time, the new bow had design #4. This was VERY unstable, it constantly fired in all directions and was the reason I added the warning the usage section. #3 was also bad, but less so, and #2 was better. My take is that long, or even short, stretches of thin string is VERY susceptible to twisting around itself and must be avoided.

Now all these 4 designs have the string being unified in a pair of knots. I made this because I figured that it would evenly distribute the pull from the pouch onto the bow limb and that it would make twisting the pouch more efficient. Getting rid of this all together, like in #6 and #7, would make the pouch even more stable but I don't know the overall effect of these designs.

Design #5 would basically be a hybrid between these two designs.
#8 is a thick, single string.

I don't know what effect placement of the wooden dividers have on accuracy.
Currently, I favour design #2 because I use the alignment of the dividers to aim making it beneficial to place them close to the pouch. #1 works but it is more difficult to aim with. Design #3-4 is bad.

SerKraus wrote on Mar 27th, 2021 at 11:14am:
That's wild! I have never conceived of a pellet bow. However, I have heard of a pellet crossbow. https://youtu.be/iLiCIm8pyyc

Since making this thread I HAVE actually become interested in making a stonebow if simple and easy crossbows exist.

The picture shows the new bow when it still had string design #3. I also had to secure the dividers with additional string.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #22 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 1:00pm

The greatest degree of loss of efficiency as a string movement is concerned is in the center since that travels the furthest. It would seem productive then to make the smallest pouch that would still hold ammunition. What about a small square shape just big enough to hold a marble? Like square shaped but only cordage, maybe some stiffeners? As our resident expert what say you Slyngorm?

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #23 - Apr 9th, 2021 at 9:03am

I definitely haven't gotten to do any modifications on the pouch but I do have some ideas on the subject.

This guy says that smaller pouches are more accurate.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,50771.0.html
On the same link are some designs similar to what you envisioned, with very scant pouches.

When I first started making these I weaved a pouch with string like a simple sling. That worked ok. 
I do think that how firmly the pellet sits in the pouch without rolling around is a big factor in accuracy. My solution would be to make a pouch that has a slight cone shape but this is all just speculation right now.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #24 - Apr 9th, 2021 at 11:16am

Interesting. I really need to make one...theae things are so cool.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #25 - Apr 10th, 2021 at 5:56pm

Morphy wrote on Apr 9th, 2021 at 11:16am:

Oh yeah, you are right. You do need to make one. And you don't know that you need to do it until you have already done it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #26 - Apr 10th, 2021 at 7:17pm

Slyngorm wrote on Apr 10th, 2021 at 5:56pm:
Morphy wrote on Apr 9th, 2021 at 11:16am:

Oh yeah, you are right. You do need to make one. And you don't know that you need to do it until you have already done it.

Maybe Im ahead of the curve then because ive wanted one for years but the idea of explaining to the doctors in the ER how I broke my hand has always put me off the idea.

The whole concept I love. But what really pushed me over the edge is seeing how accurate people can be with them. There is no doubt in my mind that one could hunt with them. Much easier than a sling for that matter.

Also the amount of power in a 60-70 pound bow would be pretty crazy. Theres just the little thing of being able to draw such a weight while holding the pellet. But with the right design I bet its possible. And if it is Slyngorm phew...what an awesomely powerful sling shot that would be.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #27 - Apr 11th, 2021 at 5:42am

Morphy wrote on Apr 10th, 2021 at 7:17pm:
one could hunt with them.

Yeah, one definitely can. I do wonder how big and heavy of a pellet one can use with a sufficiently large bow and in turn how large the animals you can hunt are. Birds are viable target for sure.
The upper limit of pellet weight must be similar to that of the heaviest arrow in use methinks.

Much easier than a sling for that matter.

That is the BEST part of the pellet bow. It feels so nice to pick up a pebble and hit right dead on target on your first try. You still need practice but it is miles upon miles easier than slinging. Sorry sling, I have a new rock hurling favourite.

Theres just the little thing of being able to draw such a weight while holding the pellet.

I haven't had many issues with that. The biggest challenge to me is holding the bow still. But that is just training of arm muscles and having the right posture. I just realized recently that you have have to stand with your side to the target like when doing regular archery. Makes it so much easier.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #28 - Apr 11th, 2021 at 12:25pm

How about having a small loop attached to the back of the pouch? If done properly, pulling it should cause the pouch to pinch on to the pellet while providing a bow-like grip (allowing heavier draw weights perhaps?). Although, this weapon isn't designed to be powerful by any means.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #29 - Apr 17th, 2021 at 3:31pm

Ok, three new things.

Firstly, I made a pouch that was half the height of the previous and it certainly improves accuracy.
Secondly, I drew a couple of lines on the top wooden divider so you can more easily aim. When the lines align with the target you are pointing dead at it. This could further be improved on by attaching two small sticks on the back and front of the wooden divider so that when they align you are aiming at the target. Almost like a gun scope.
Thirdly, by mistake I made and used a bowstring with sides of uneven length, the right side being longer. While I originally advised against this I found it to improve accuracy if anything. I did find my previous symmetrical bow string to have a tendency to fire to the left on my new bow, so maybe this evened it out?

Honestly, point #1 and #3 happened sorta in the midst of each other so I'm not sure how much each has affected the other.
Anyways, there still are tons of aspects to the pellet bow that needs further testing.

Archaic Arms wrote on Apr 11th, 2021 at 12:25pm:
this weapon isn't designed to be powerful by any means.

I disagree.
I have so far used little finger nail sized clay pellets and fired them a reasonable distance. Now I have also used thumb nail sized clay pellets and found that they fly longer if anything. And that is with my novice home made bow, made with a bad bow wood that has been fire hardened way to much. Finally, I probably haven't made a max draw yet (cause I don't know how long that is). A professional bow definitely could fire a golf ball sized rock several tens of meters at a pretty low angle.

A problem with bigger ammo though is that it misfires much more easily. I think this is because it more easily rolls around in the pouch.
Your pouch design sounds very good and I might look into it someday. I think a simpler solution is to make a pouch that is wider than the width of the string split so it acts like a slingshot pouch.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2021 at 6:37am by Slyngorm »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)