Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slings in war (Read 1786 times)
czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Slings in war
Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:10am

Imagine this, you are going into war as a slinger, which of your slings would you take into battle?

I personally would try to avoid going into war. But if they otherwise would murder my family,  I would probably take my short 45cm short balearic sling with my thinner 80cm balearic style long sling and my superlong 170cm sling. These are my three favourite slings for different jobs.

I am very interested in seeing what slings people on this forum have for different jobs that could be used in warfare.

slingloadout.jpg (96 KB | 26 )
slingloadout.jpg

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Re: Slings in war
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 6:18am

I don't have such big differences in length. I prefer a perfectly adapted pouch:
-one for clay or lead under 100g 50-55cm
-one for stones 200-400g 50-60cm
-one for stones 100-200g 70-80cm

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 7:04am

Just as long as it’s somewhere elevated with an abundance of stones I’m happy.
27 inch Mersa sling
And a hand full of razor glandes for the bears

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 7:24am

Mersa wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 7:04am:
And a hand full of razor glandes for the bears

And don't forget to aim for the eyes!

My friend has it very similar to you Hubert, when it comes to lengths of his slings, he prefers the lengts of 60 to 80cm and then there is me who likes his longer sling two times as long as the shorter one Grin

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 8:17am

If it’s an unavoidable war situation I would take the sling that keeps a semiautomatic rifle strapped across my back to avoid bringing a rock to a gunfight.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

czechslinger1.0
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 8:20am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 8:17am:
If it’s an unavoidable war situation I would take the sling that keeps a semiautomatic rifle strapped across my back to avoid bringing a rock to a gunfight.

I meant it more like going into an ancient battle, but I agree that would be the best Grin
Just destroying barbaric warriors with an AR15.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 8:48am

I love these hypotheticals! I would take a short Balearic, a medium split pouch, a medium leather pouch sling, and a long leather pouch sling. The split pouches would be for stones and the leather pouches would be for glandes! I can realistically take all of these slings into battle which is amazing when you think about it. That's like taking 4 rifles of different calibers into battle.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 8:49am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 8:17am:

Why can't your rifle's sling also be a rock sling? Realistically, couldn't you attach a sling to a rifle and detach it when you want to sling with it?

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 9:18am

It depends on a lot of factors
-What ammo is available
-What are the typical engagement sizes (i.e. skirmishes or full out battlelines)
-Can I use synthetic materials in the sling to make them weather/wear resistant (probably invaluable in a war situation)

Given all the above I think I will take a dyneema balearic sling with ACOG sights and belt-fed HE fragmentation glandes  Cool

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 9:42am

I'd take the Apache I have made by JudoP because I have the most practice with it, then I'd take a staff sling. At least then I also have a stick Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 10:06am

In modern warfare I see the sling being most useful for throwing grenades... or grenadine in a modern bar fight.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 10:17am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 10:06am:
In modern warfare I see the sling being most useful for throwing grenades... or grenadine in a modern bar fight.

Which is why staff sling would be best. That bit further away and you can throw a grenade even easier.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 10:28am

Just like was mentioned a longer sling, a medium and a shorter. If I was anti infantry I would be using light lead glandes so I could carry a ton of shots. If I was a defender in a seige I would be throwing massive stones at the very least 1lb if not closer to 2lbs.

The more we have talked about this the more I am starting to think slinger castle defenders with a large cache of massive slingstones would be one of the most devastating defensive soldiers.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #13 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 11:07am

Slings are pretty easy to improvise on the fly. If I had to construct a weapon from the things around me, I would first try to fashion a rudimentary lathe, but if that didn’t work, I might construct a sling... especially if we were at war with Gorignak.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 11:14am

A single, 3 strand flat braid ''strap'' sling, made up of 6 strands, resulting in cords about 11-14mm wide, braided flat, 75 cm long, with a ~10/15 cm split-pouch,  with each split cord braided to be as wide as the sling cords, ''tillered'' to fit stones of 100-150g in weight (no/barely any osscilations even with a cord side-to-side in the hand-grip), an untapered, smooth release cord that allows a full fist grip, a finger loop that goes over pinkie, and then exits through whatever finger I like depending on the width I want, made up of preferably synthetic cord so it isn't as affected by humid atmospheres, otherwise waxxed hemp, is my current preference

If I need to make a sling on the fly, however, a simple twisted cord, chumash sling with a scrap jeans pouch or leather aussie pouch, will chuck.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)