Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
****Unicorn Alert**** (Read 6693 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: ****Unicorn Alert****
Reply #75 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 3:34am

I think the Balearic rules make sense for the Balearics, but, if slinging makes it to the Olympics, those rules won't be appropriate. Where slinging still exists, it's very much tied to the cultures of the people practicing it and putting limitations on how the sling should be used could be excluding people unfairly. When it comes to the sling itself, I think making a distinction between natural and non natural materials is kind of pointless. I don't think using one or the other gives any large advantage really if both slings are well made. I understand wanting to keep the tradition of natural materials,  but I don't think that needs to be worried about. People will always be using natural materials. The Balearic competition is kind of on a thin line between keeping the Balearic culture of slinging alive and being a competition. If it was a truly competitive, "trying to be the absolute best at slinging" competition, then the rules are restrictive. As an expression of Balearic culture, I think the rules are appropriate. Anyway, they are already very lenient with the international group. I was using Greek and no-one said anything.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #76 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 3:49am

I did my part.  The day sling becomes Olympic, I'll stop.  Olympia today is a swamp of corruption.  And yes the Balearic Islands are very forgiving.  But it is not welcome.  I don't think these styles make sense myself.  But we've chewed that through many times here.  I myself prefer to stick to Balearic rules.  I don't care whether someone else understands or likes it.  I don't have to sing internationally either.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #77 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 3:55am

One doesnt need to like someone elses choice to be tolerant of their ability to have that choice.

If it werent for innovation we would still be doing the high jump the old way. Let success be the final indicator whether something makes sense and personal opinion can stay a personal thing.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #78 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 4:11am

Tolerance.  A nice word.  It is derived from tolare.  It means to endure.  I think it makes little sense to compare high jump with sling.  You are coming to a country with a long tradition.  Not just with a tradition.  Also a good and proven structure.  You come there and say ... We'll do that differently from now on.  Are you talking about tolerance?  Sorry, but that's a joke.  An April joke.  Have a big tournament in Australia and make your rules.  Everyone who comes will stick to it.  I would do this too.  If I go to Guam, the rules there would be binding for me.  So easy.  I call it acceptance.  Do not suffer.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #79 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 4:29am

Hey if 20 people wanna come to me I’ll put on a tournament. Getting into Australia and traveling in general is hard and expensive at the moment.

All styles all types of slings.

Then we All go to the shotgun range and shoot clays but with slings.

Beers afterwards!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #80 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 4:41am

I would like to visit you in Australia.  I would even shoot figure 8.  😂 I'm not only allowed to drink beer.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #81 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 4:59am

Jaegoor wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 4:11am:
You are coming to a country with a long tradition.  Not just with a tradition.  Also a good and proven structure.  You come there and say ... We'll do that differently from now on.  Are you talking about tolerance?  Sorry, but that's a joke.  An April joke.  Have a big tournament in Australia and make your rules.  Everyone who comes will stick to it.  I would do this too.  If I go to Guam, the rules there would be binding for me.  So easy.  I call it acceptance.  Do not suffer.

Reread Kicks first sentence of his last post. I think you missed something in translation. If anything I agree that indvidual places should have the right to make their own rules. What I dont want to see is someone deciding their way of slinging or their equipment is the only type allowed in a world championship type setting.

But of course if someone wished to try that, that is fine. Just as with MMA there will be tournaments where people are allowed to innovate with their throwing style and eventually they will leave the dogmatic behind. This is the case for every single sport. Those unwilling to try new techniques are left in the dustbin of history.

Ammo restrictions make sense within reason. Throwing style restrictions do not.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #82 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 5:11am

Tolerance.  A nice word.  It is derived from tolare.  It means to endure.  I think it makes little sense to compare high jump with sling. 

And the word "meaning" orginally also meant "the act of remembering".

Meanings change.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #83 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 5:14am

That said, MMA is ultimate.  Everything else is a waste of history.  The nonsense just keeps getting better.  😂 A World Cup goes by my ass.  I shoot because I enjoy it.  I like to shoot Balearic because I like the country.  I like the people there.  The international banter is absolutely irrelevant.  There are a lot of slingers that I would like to shoot together with.  Probably not with you, Morphy.  But i could also be wrong.  Or I put up with them.  😂.  I know I'm arrogant.  And I am not very humble.  That makes us very similar, however.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #84 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 5:48am

You have attacked me personally for disagreeing with you but I wont respond in like manner. Thats where we differ.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #85 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 6:34am

It would be interesting to see which styles would become prevalent with no restrictions. On the international side of the balearics comp I feel people shoot how they want to, most still use a balearic style or something similar, including me but I don't mind the occasional fig 8er. I've seen no byzantine though I consider that style pretty accurate, I think Kick was using Greek at least partly last time which is also another accurate style.

On the flipside I can understand the requirement for rules in principle. Maybe the most effective way to be accurate over 20m is barely even slinging, like use a 4 inch sling and just gently lob it underarm. I'm not sure I'd like to see a competition like that, though it would be completely legitimate in a no rules context.

Multiple rotations is interesting, I do feel that it complicates the throw but if you do it right then you can still be very accurate. I still have a lot of trouble keeping my shots low enough, unless I deliberately use a 'helicopter' like rotor (which I don't like to do, I find it less comfortable and the power is more shoulder-centric, rather than lower body). In fact I think in the first balearic comp I went to I would have actually scored much higher if I shot from 30 or 40m instead of 20m, just by the sheer amount of ammo sailing directly over the target  Grin

I learned on beaches and pelting stuff out to long range at 30-45 degree elevation, so throwing flat doesn't come natural to me at all...

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #86 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 6:34am

I'm confused. Maybe this is a translation issue/text on the internet not being the same as a conversation issue.

I don't think anyone here is saying we should go to the Balearics and tell them how they should be running their competitions. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think anyone is suggesting that. Currently, the Balearic internationals, are the only competitions being held regularly with long standing established rules. Guam are starting up but, from my understanding, it's still early days. I don't know of any other slinging competitions that are anywhere near the same scale.

So, with that in mind, imagining that slinging does become an Olympic sport, standardized rules would have to be developed. I think some people are thinking that the Balearic rules would be the model to base them on, others, myself included, believe, that while the Balearic rules work well in the context of a competition run by Balearic slingers in the Balearic islands, a truly international Olympic level competition, would benefit from having different rules that more encompass the scope of worldwide slinging and also reflect the fact that Olympic level sports are very different from the sports they came from originally.

By allowing a wider choice in slinging style and sling construction (sling ammo I can see being one thing that standardization would be most beneficial and the most fair) innovation can be encouraged and new feats can be accomplished. I think the Fosby Flop is the perfect example of this. High jump was completely reinvented and the World Records completely transformed from one change. What could be achieved in slinging if we allow room to grow and encourage that with competition?

It is still possible to keep the old traditions and ways of doing things and also see slinging adapted. One thing I've learnt is that there is no one style or one sling that is perfect for everyone, partly because everyone is coming to slinging with a different goal in mind. We cover a lot of different interests: going for pure power, distance, accuracy, speed, historical recreation, personal fitness even. We don't all have the same goals. Plenty of people have absolutely no interest in competition anyway. So, in formulating rules for an international competition, it's not that those rules are dictating what slinging is and should be for everyone. They are simply there as a particular measure for a particular aspect of slinging at a particular event. I don't think having different rules for an Olympic competition will damage a Balearic competition in the same way World Cup football doesn't affect playing football with friends in the park. I don't use those examples to say that the Balearic competition is "less" than a hypothetical Olympic competition. They are two different things being held for different purposes. Again, that's the point. Slinging is very broad. For a weapon that can be made out of shoelaces, there can be no elitism.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #87 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 6:44am

It's a shame that you take it as an attack.  You obviously don't understand a smiley either.  Therefore an extra smiley for you.  😂.  By the way, I also wrote that I'm not sure.  By that I mean that I cannot or will not judge or judge you at all.  Simply because I don't know you.  Believe me.  I'm not that bad.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #88 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 6:51am

Jaegoor wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 6:44am:
It's a shame that you take it as an attack.  You obviously don't understand a smiley either.  Therefore an extra smiley for you.  😂.  By the way, I also wrote that I'm not sure.  By that I mean that I cannot or will not judge or judge you at all.  Simply because I don't know you.  Believe me.  I'm not that bad.

Im glad to hear it. Im much easier to get along with outside of this forum. Im actually a very relaxed person, in real life. I rarely challenge people in their beliefs regardless how much I may disagree. Mostly because there is rarely a good enough reason to do so. Heres one back at you.  Wink

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #89 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 8:18am

I think it makes little sense to compare high jump with sling. 

You asked me for an example of a sport where a new style changed the sport itself. I gave you the high jump. I never said that high jump is like slinging except that they are both sports.

Whenever you are losing an argument Jaegoor, you change the premise to avoid being wrong. This is a pattern I have noticed with you.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark)