****Unicorn Alert**** (Read 6676 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: ****Unicorn Alert****
Reply #60 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 12:29pm

Jaegoor wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 11:24am:
There is a red granite.

Yeah there is a lot of red granite here. The stones at the top and the bottom in the picture are definitely red granite. The others I'm not sure about but they are definitely similar to granite if they aren't granite. The only stone I've broken on a target was at the competition and then I chipped a stone on another stone that was already on the ground. One stone split apart but that was some slate-like type of stone and very weak.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #61 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 2:33pm

I mean this

_20210331_202933.jpg (94 KB | 13 )
_20210331_202933.jpg

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #62 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 3:10pm

Yeah I have stones that look the same.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #63 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 3:31pm

Even luis didn't manage to destroy it.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #64 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:50pm

I think a system to denote proficiency is ingenious. Good idea Jaegoor! A standardized system used all across the board by all slingers would be amazing.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #65 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 5:30pm

Grades might be a little high,
Throw 400 and 500 m , that’s gonna hold a lot of people back for sure.

Some of the rules are weird in my opinion. I guess some are trying to preserve tradition and that’s fair. Maybe a different set of rules for a different class. Just like archery has longbow, barebow and Olympic recurve. And the rules around equipment and technique.

Figure 8 is like the string walking of slinging.
Most traditionalist hate it, it’s not necessarily the most efficient in the field, but yep it works, and some people make it work well.

I think using mainly Byzantine and figure 8 styles and a dyneema sling I’m basically the guy the rules wanna keep out ha ha

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #66 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 5:54pm

The distance of 500 m is easy.  You have five shots for it.  So 5x100, that's easy to manage.  The rule of the Balearic Islands says you have to turn the sling three times.  It may be that other things also work.  But in this way they all have the same conditions.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #67 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 6:01pm

Ahhh I see I thought you had 5 shots to make 1 throw over 500m. That’s very achievable

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #68 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 7:43pm

Banning certain styles makes zero sense. If a style is ineffective it will naturally fall out of favor. In the same way that MMA has made it very clear what does and doesnt work slinging competitions should be open to whatever style. If someone wants to travel a thousand miles to take part in a competition and throw with a poor style he will fail and less people will want to use it in the future.

Ive never heard a good arugment for limiting styles. Ammo could be as simple as stone, clay, concrete etc. No culture has claim to the sling. Not every culture used stones and none used rusty balls. Just ban metal and other such ammo and that leaves slinging open to the maximum amount of people, includinf poorer people without access to rusty balls and a gymnasium.

One of the reasons Soccer/Futbol is so popular is because all it takes is a ball and an open area to play. The game is all skill.  Slinging should be as accessible to people as possible. No need to limit others in an attempt to make it seem more "official". Just my 2 cents.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #69 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:26pm

Hey Guys, from where I am it looks like you are all correct, whilst missing different things.

Is slinging a sport or a pastime ?

There are slinging communities which earn the respect their tradition confers. Any attempt to subvert those traditions should rightly fail.

If slinging is a pastime then stop arguing, carry on doing your own thing and enjoy your individuality.

If slinging is a sport, as long as it played ? practiced ? internationally eventually it will be registered, developed and have rules applied.

I am totally ambivalent as to wether that is good or bad. I am a hill walker and have never taken part in organised sport of any description.

However if the sporting bandwaggon rolls then standardisation will inevitably follow.

Do we as a community actually start the process by agreeing to agree standards for sport slinging.
Rules.
Target.
Distance.
Classes.....by weight of ammo,age, style or other criteria.
Think swimming, Breaststroke, Butterfly, Crawl etc....freestyle.

We have the opportunity to shape a sporting future, or not.

Cheers,

Zud Smiley

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #70 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 12:34am

Morphy wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 7:43pm:
Banning certain styles makes zero sense. If a style is ineffective it will naturally fall out of favor. In the same way that MMA has made it very clear what does and doesnt work slinging competitions should be open to whatever style. If someone wants to travel a thousand miles to take part in a competition and throw with a poor style he will fail and less people will want to use it in the future.

Ive never heard a good arugment for limiting styles.

100% I agree. Other sports have been disrupted by new styles and it advances the sport instead of ruining it.  If someone can beat you with an awkward, ugly throw... it will push you to work harder and question your assumptions.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #71 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 1:05am

Can you please name other sports where that is possible?  You drive a thousand kilometers to the Olympics and have a false spear.  You have a wrong discus.  Your bow is wrong.  What will happen?  You will be disqualified.  Very easily.  The reason the Balearic Islands want a multiple turn is simple.  Slinging without twisting is considered to be throwing.  Not as a shoot.  It should also make shooting equally difficult for everyone.  It is a tournament of the Balearic Islands.  For this reason alone, their rules deserve respect.  Create your own freesty tournaments.  There you can throw as you like.  Guam would be a good place.  Balearic Slinging is their tradition.  If you want to receive this, then you play according to your rules.  It's easy.  I do not see the problem.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #72 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 1:21am

Jaegoor wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 1:05am:
Can you please name other sports where that is possible?

Here is a very famous example:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fosbury_Flop

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #73 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 1:38am

Yes and?  The rule was changed.  In the case of spears, the material was also changed.  And even the handle.  What does that change in a Balearic rule?  You can sing anywhere and however you like.  Create your own tournaments.  Everything is not a problem.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #74 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 3:20am

Rules can be funny, archery is a good example.
Some competition you are not allowed to shoot string walking some you are. But of corse the carbon fibre limbs and machined risers are ok . Some rules are funny.

As for slinging, I think the 3 rotation rule is stupid. I don’t think that really gives any advantage to the people who naturally pre rotate just disadvantage to those who usually don’t . And like many rules it can just be adapted/twisted, 3 fake rotations a very gradual pause stall and straight into a Byzantine power stroke. Basically a song and dance before the actual throw.

Materials for the sling is a little better because it’s trying to preserve a tradition, this is kinda fair.

Well if I ever get there I’ll be the dark horse. Using Byzantine and figure 8 , dyneema sling, and throwing not slinging!!! Ha ha

Pre rotation seems useless to me personally. I’ve never seen any advantage unles ypur running. Perhaps it’s just my dyneema sling is too efficient that I don’t need the pre rotation to get the stretch out of my sling. Or I’m just a thrower not a slinger ha ha

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris)