Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: ****Unicorn Alert****
Reply #46 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 7:35am

damn impressive from ig and mersa !

Although why a unicorn post ?
Unicorns are mythhical beasts you don't see.

These are phenomenal trick shots that we can all see Smiley

As far as translating into competition scores - possibly, probably not Smiley

Once you throw in the heckling, noise, double and occasionally treble  the distance and people slinging either side of you and having to keep an eye out for the sideways throws that stiff balearic slings make common place.
It's a whole different ballgame.

Also while you can use clay ammo - rusty balls are not allowed and you usually end up with the dregs of stones that are all that's left after the good stones were all broken during practice.

There are very good reasons why balearic scoring is so consistently low.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #47 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:06am

Alex.  Actually only natural stones are allowed.  Clay is tolerated.  Figure 8 is also not allowed according to the rules.  The problem is that you can no longer collect stones in the Balearic Islands.  Conservation Rusty balls would be very good ammunition.  I just need a smooth wall as a background.  Or ammunition is imported from Norway.  There are stones here that remain undestroyed for much longer.  I'm looking for stones on the Baltic Sea.  I've been shooting the best stones for years.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #48 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:14am

yeah the balearic rules seriously need to be updated.

What are you doing in norway ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #49 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:51am

It comes from a previous post.
Where I said I was trying to do trickshots like Jaegoor.
I was Chasing Jaegoor.
I was chasing the unicorn of slinging.
The mythical slinger.

As for international comp.
I have horrible target panic, I fold pretty hard under pressure, so me personally, I don’t expect I’d do very well. On the right day I could get a competitive score but I doubt it’s going to happen my first time with other slingers at an international championship  Grin

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #50 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:55am

Jaegoor wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:06am:
I'm looking for stones on the Baltic Sea.

Definitely the best place for finding good sling stones. Finland has fantastic granite stones that look like they were made for slinging. Almost impossible to break them.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #51 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 10:08am

Those stones look indestructible!

With regards to the competitions, I have no idea how well I'd perform if I went. I'd be nervous but also excited. My accuracy would be either amazing or absolutely horrid.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #52 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 10:37am

I don't think the Balearic rules need to be renewed.  These rules are very good.  I am sure that many international ones do not even know these rules.  I find it presumptuous to say from outside that these rules are bad.  Because they are not.  Personally, I don't like the international tournament development.  Everyone does what they want.  In which sport do you find such a thing?  Maybe the competitions will be split up.  Hunting shooting and shooting the Balearic way. So on a diane.  Hunting shooting could be done on animal siluettes.  Works with Atlatl too.  Ten years ago I proposed a system with colored t-shirts.  Like colored belts in martial arts.  That would be a really good international system.  You just have to do it once.  This system would also be applicable to slinging org.  It would finally take this sport to a serious level.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #53 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 10:48am

Jaegoor wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 10:37am:
Ten years ago I proposed a system with colored t-shirts.  Like colored belts in martial arts.  That would be a really good international system.  You just have to do it once.  This system would also be applicable to slinging org.  It would finally take this sport to a serious level.

Is this still being used? I think it's a good proposal.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #54 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 11:11am

Kick wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:55am:
Definitely the best place for finding good sling stones. Finland has fantastic granite stones that look like they were made for slinging. Almost impossible to break them.

Those stones look great! I remember finding a smooth granite stone when I was in England a few months ago and I knew just by holding it that it had special powers. Grin
The stones here explode into a million pieces  Undecided
There are limestone and metamorphic rocks with seemingly high quartzite. The solid quartzite stones behave similarly.   

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #55 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 11:15am

There are pros and cons in the Balearic Islands.  Some can imagine that and also see the point.  But many do not want it.  Your clubs have their own logos.  But these would not change either.  Hubert probably doesn't like it either.  But I don't know for sure.  This rule has worked very well in my group.  It works just like martial arts.  The colors are white, yellow, red, brown and black.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #56 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 11:24am

Potkia.  On punainen graniitti.  Tämä tulee todennäköisesti Norjasta.  En tiedä, onko tätä saatavana myös Suomessa.  Tämän kiven murtaminen on melkein mahdotonta.  Kolmen vuoden aikana rikkoin yhden.  Talvella voimakkaiden myrskyjen jälkeen näitä kiviä löytyy Itämeren rannoilta.  Aion 300 km löytää hänet.  Mutta se on sen arvoista.  Olin kerran Norjassa viikinkitapahtumassa.  Siellä oli lahti.  Siellä oli vain näitä kiviä.  Koko ranta täynnä.  Kuten ibizalla.  Se oli slingerin unelma.

Kick.  There is a red granite.  This probably comes from Norway.  I don't know whether this is also available in Finland.  Breaking this stone is almost impossible.  In three years I broke one.  After heavy storms in winter, these stones can be found on the beaches of the Baltic Sea.  I drive 300km to find her.  But it's worth it.  I was once in Norway at a viking event.  There was a bay there.  There were only these stones there.  A whole beach full.  Like on ibiza.  It was a slinger's dream.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #57 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 11:26am

Mersa wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:51am:
It comes from a previous post.
Where I said I was trying to do trickshots like Jaegoor.
I was Chasing Jaegoor.
I was chasing the unicorn of slinging.
The mythical slinger.

As for international comp.
I have horrible target panic, I fold pretty hard under pressure, so me personally, I don’t expect I’d do very well. On the right day I could get a competitive score but I doubt it’s going to happen my first time with other slingers at an international championship  Grin

And myself as well. Its a hell of a lot of pressure. Especially for first timers. I give credit to all those who have gone and tried. I feel sure I would embarrass myself but it sure would be fun.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #58 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 11:29am

Jaegoor wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 11:15am:
There are pros and cons in the Balearic Islands.  Some can imagine that and also see the point.  But many do not want it.  Your clubs have their own logos.  But these would not change either.  Hubert probably doesn't like it either.  But I don't know for sure.  This rule has worked very well in my group.  It works just like martial arts.  The colors are white, yellow, red, brown and black.

What are the qualifications for each category?
I could definitely see this system taking off if there were more slinging competitions going on around the world.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #59 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 11:48am

Wink

_20210331_174638.JPG (101 KB | 20 )
_20210331_174638.JPG

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man)