Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone know how to make these? (Read 1762 times)
Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Anyone know how to make these?
Mar 24th, 2021 at 6:42pm

I have browsed the tutorials, and haven't been able to find any to make slings like these. I know the rockman sling is similar to the red, black, and yellow sling. I am curious about how to get the diamond shapes in the cord. With the black and yellow one I would love to make something like that, the closest I have found here to that, is the medical tape pouch tutorial. The other two are just really pretty, and I would love to know how to make tapestry style slings. So if anyone has some knowledge, they wouldn't mind sharing that would be awesome. Also if I am just dense, and missed tuts that explain these. I did see the cool south American weaved sling video, that Dave Morningstar shared a few days ago, and plan to make one asap. I just would love to make any type known. That way I can experiment better, in developing new methods/designs. Thanks slingers, and people who sling;)

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Anyone know how to make these?
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 9:33pm

Some of the more advanced sling makers here can probably give you some pointers.  I'm definitely not in that group.  But this might be something to consider picking up: https://www.amazon.com/Sling-Braiding-Traditions-Techniques-Bolivia/dp/076435430....

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 9:44pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Mar 24th, 2021 at 9:33pm:
Some of the more advanced sling makers here can probably give you some pointers.  I'm definitely not in that group.  But this might be something to consider picking up: https://www.amazon.com/Sling-Braiding-Traditions-Techniques-Bolivia/dp/076435430....

DUDE, that is perfect, thanks! I will be getting it asap.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 9:49pm

The only thing on here thats sort of complex is the pouch in the black and white sling. Not to say that any of this is as easy as your typical 5 strand but as with most things if you take it one step at a time its not too hard. That bottom ones cords almost looked whipped rather than braided. Luckily its so nightmare inducingly ugly what with it being shaped like a mutant sausage that theres no need to explore that particular sling. At least not for me.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 9:57pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 24th, 2021 at 9:49pm:
The only thing on here thats sort of complex is the pouch in the black and white sling. Not to say that any of this is as easy as your typical 5 strand but as with most things if you take it one step at a time its not too hard. That bottom ones cords almost looked whipped rather than braided. Luckily its so nightmare inducingly ugly what with it shaped like a mutant sausage that theres no nees to explore that particular sling. At least not for me.

That was my sentiment exactly, they can't bee too tricky, once you know the trick. Each one I have made so far is relatively simple, just takes patience, and knowing the techniques. I agree it is a bit ugly, probably for how many cords it took to weave that intricate pouch. Supposedly that one is an antique though too. I do like the striped whipping though, and am curious of the technique, to try and make it my own. The taper on that top right image is gorgeous, and has those same whipped looking stripes. Those are the ones I like more. Oh and on the mutant sausage one, I think that is just the whipping for the cord protection, it looks like the majority of the retention and release ends are broken off. In my mind that sausage girth is maybe to weight the pouch a bit more, because the pouch itself looks light weight. It also looks alot like the top right image, just missing its cords.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 10:45pm

With slings like that you might just have to use your best judgement and give it a go. It's pretty much how I approach a lot of sling making these days.

Most of the pouches seem to be side-to-side direction weave, so braid a retention cord, then weave over the loose strands before rejoining to braid the release. As for the fancy stuff you can look up most of the braids, the book Joe linked might be helpful and I have a similar one to it. With the fancy colours on the weave you will want to exchange the weaving thread depending on colour. Probably focus first though on the shape before doing colours.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 3:00am

What is it about exactly.  Letter or string?  Read Rodrick Owen.  The diamond pattern is a 16 end braid.  If you are working with a marudai.  It's not very difficult.  With a color change.  There is a color inside the braid.  If necessary, it is placed on the outside.  This is also the case with weaving.  It is not a witchcraft.  But they need time, patience and practice.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 5:41am

The black and white zebra pattern is very simple, alternately wrapped around a core.I cannot say how durable that is.
The diamond pattern is not difficult to implement in the Fistbraid either. 16 strands 2 colored you just have to count them bluntly, 3 colored as in the picture above, the implementation is self-explanatory and very, very easy to braid. 24 strand diamond patterns are easier to braid.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 7:26am

Jaegoor wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 3:00am:
What is it about exactly.  Letter or string?  Read Rodrick Owen.  The diamond pattern is a 16 end braid.  If you are working with a marudai.  It's not very difficult.  With a color change.  There is a color inside the braid.  If necessary, it is placed on the outside.  This is also the case with weaving.  It is not a witchcraft.  But they need time, patience and practice.

hubert wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 5:41am:
The black and white zebra pattern is very simple, alternately wrapped around a core.I cannot say how durable that is.
The diamond pattern is not difficult to implement in the Fistbraid either. 16 strands 2 colored you just have to count them bluntly, 3 colored as in the picture above, the implementation is self-explanatory and very, very easy to braid. 24 strand diamond patterns are easier to braid.

Thank you fellas, that just gave me a lightbulb moment, where I just got more courage to give it a shot. However the rockman sling I am making will have been the most intense weave I have done. So I got some textile techniques to learn. I'm glad to have jumped into the rabbit hole of slinging this time around. It is taking over all of my old hobbies for the most part haha. I will probably make an Egyptian style sling next

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 7:52am

Quote:
The diamond pattern is a 16 end braid.  If you are working with a marudai.  It's not very difficult.

Quote:
16 strands 2 colored you just have to count them bluntly, 3 colored as in the picture above, the implementation is self-explanatory and very, very easy to braid. 24 strand diamond patterns are easier to braid.

lmao - two of the very best sling braiders in the entire world.
To THEM it's really easy.

To an ordinary human being, 16 or 24 strand braids are just fantasy items.

A couple of those slings look like huberts work anyway.
I do like the one that looks like a leaf - that's something I'd hang on a wall.

'Easy' is relative Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #10 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 8:06am

@Curious Aardvark Don't let the number of strands put you off. Many of the traditional patterns are not complicated and mostly self-explanatory. It only gets really complicated when you want to weave figures like lizards and so on.  At our next meeting I'll show you simple patterns, if you like?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 8:41am

I am undisputed as NOT being one of the best sling makers, but I have freehand braided paracord bull whips with a similar thread count, and it really doesn’t need anything more than patience and a little practice.  I would not recommend free-handing that many cords if you want it to lay flat though.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #12 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 5:36pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 7:52am:
Quote:
The diamond pattern is a 16 end braid.  If you are working with a marudai.  It's not very difficult.

Quote:
16 strands 2 colored you just have to count them bluntly, 3 colored as in the picture above, the implementation is self-explanatory and very, very easy to braid. 24 strand diamond patterns are easier to braid.

lmao - two of the very best sling braiders in the entire world.
To THEM it's really easy.

To an ordinary human being, 16 or 24 strand braids are just fantasy items.

A couple of those slings look like huberts work anyway.
I do like the one that looks like a leaf - that's something I'd hang on a wall.

'Easy' is relative Smiley

Yeah, I don't know if easy is the term lol, but I guess compared to certain things, like other textiles, it is relatively simple. I for sure have a lot more to learn. Also I thought the leaf sling was particularly cool myself as well. I am curious how the performance of that pouch shape would compare to other shapes.
NooneOfConsequence wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 8:41am:
I am undisputed as NOT being one of the best sling makers, but I have freehand braided paracord bull whips with a similar thread count, and it really doesn’t need anything more than patience and a little practice.  I would not recommend free-handing that many cords if you want it to lay flat though.

Yeah those qre good points, I am thinking about making a round loom, and a rectangular loom as well. How many pegs would you guys recomend for each loom? I was thinking 36 per loom at about 1/4" spacing would be decent.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
On the leaf sling
Reply #13 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 9:57pm

On the leaf sling it appears they started the weave with 9 strands to weave between... pardon my lack of proper weaving lingo, but then it tapers down to three sets of three to weave through, so a 9 to 3 weave. I still am unclear on how to get the leaf pattern, but the shape doesn't look too difficult. Pretty much start with a 4 strand braid with a 5th strand core, for the finger loop, if doing a single loop. Then pair up the core, and the 8 ends and continue the 4 strand-cored braid to the pouch. Split into 9 strands and start weaving then just slowly taper the weave as stated above. To state my whole thought on this pattern.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy)