Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
FILMS YOU LOVE.....and WHY. (Read 2072 times)
xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
FILMS YOU LOVE.....and WHY.
Mar 24th, 2021 at 4:48pm

Blues Brothers.

Marvellous Music.
Damm good Dancing.
Acceptable Acting.

Biggest car wreck scene ever

Cheers,
Zud👍

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Re: FILMS YOU LOVE.....and WHY.
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 9:25pm

Memento and Fight Club.  Both for the same reason.

I tend to see things in films very easily.  For Fight Club, I was the only one in my group to see the single frame inserts (though it was too quick for me to tell what they really were without buying the DVD and pausing).  My friends didn't even believe that I saw something until we watched it again and paused.

Knives Out?  I figured out what happened before it actually happened.  Though it took longer to tell who actually did it.

The Usual Suspects?  Had me for a while but I got it before the reveal.

But Memento and Fight Club really had me with their twists.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 9:33pm

The Lord of the Rings trilogy because Im a nerd at heart. Best combination of story writing,  score, acting, practical effects etc Ive ever seen in a movie.

A Knights Tale , The Dark Knight. Heath Ledger was my favorite actor before he became huge with his Joker role. But ya great movies all around.

Too many others to name. The Dark Knight for me rises so much higher than any other comic book movie its almost not even in the same genre.

Infinity War I put off watching for years for whatever reason but Josh Brolin's portrayl of Thanos was just amazing. I love it.

The first and only Matrix. I heard they had considered making 2 others but thankfully they did not.

Many others.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 9:26am

Morphy wrote on Mar 24th, 2021 at 9:33pm:
The first and only Matrix. I heard they had considered making 2 others but thankfully they did not.

Many others.

I hear the Wachowski sisters wrote some fanfiction.  It doesn't make any sense if you consider it in the world the Wachowski brothers wrote, but it's not the worst I've read.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 9:28am

Oxnate wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 9:26am:
Morphy wrote on Mar 24th, 2021 at 9:33pm:

Many others.

I hear the Wachowski sisters wrote some fanfiction.  It doesn't make any sense if you consider it in the world the Wachowski brothers wrote, but it's not the worst I've read.

Yes fan fiction. But at least fan fiction that attempted to be respectful to the original. Then you have the new Star Wars triology which went a different direction...  Roll Eyes Huh

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 11:23am

Galaxy Quest... by far the best parody sci-fi movie ever made.  They hit all the Star Trek cliches and never once made a direct Star Trek reference.

Other greats:
The Princess Bride... obviously
Mystery Men... as genre parodies go it’s not as great as Galaxy Quest, but it was highly underrated in spite of the fact that it starred Peewee Herman AND Jeanine Garrofolo in it. I absolutely love how they just kill off the main superhero in total defiance of every rule of the superhero movie genre.

Mr and Mrs Smith... no plot, but one of the best action movies ever made, with bonus points for tactical minivan humor.

Tombstone... I’m not into westerns, but wow. Great lines, great action.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 2:37pm

Though some will find this stupid, my favorite movie of all time is The Wizard of Oz.  It's perfect from start to finish and was years ahead of its time.  It's a timeless masterpiece. 

Apocalypse Now is one I can watch over and over again.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2021 at 5:55pm

The Blair Witch Project.
It is the only horror movie ever to legitimately frighten me so I can't miss out on that one. It is just perfectly scary. Still dumbfounded when I realized that most people hate it.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2021 at 6:18pm

It may seem odd to start this thread when my main occupations are Radio (4), Reading, Doing and thinking.

However if I am going to divert precious time into watching rather than doing I have 3 criteria for the film.

Being a somewhat unreconstucted male they are very straightforward.

1, large explosions.

2, large breasts.

3, It (the film) makes me think.

Perhaps you could offer your criteria along with your film choice ?

Cheers
Zud Smiley

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2021 at 6:35pm

Excellent Aliens.
Sharp dialogue.
and those guns.......

mib.jpg (63 KB | 28 )
mib.jpg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:18pm

The first MIB was absolutely an awesome movie. Love it.

I also really enjoyed Inception.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:51am

12 Monkeys. Brad Pitt's best performance. There will be no arguing on that point.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2021 at 2:36pm

The first time I watched Starship Troopers I thought it was camp but sort of stupid too.  But I found myself watching it every time it popped up.  I guess I'm easy to please.  There were two sequels to Starship Troopers but I thought they sucked.  They weren't even close to the original.
    There's an old black and white movie that I mention here from time to time... The Haunting of Hill House.  The special effects are almost non-existent but the acting, plot, and directing are so good you don't really care. It's probably the best, scariest haunted house movie ever.  There was a remake shot in the early 90s that is pathetic and that's being  kind.  Don't watch the remake.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #13 - Apr 4th, 2021 at 6:23pm

Good direction will out  Verhofen just brilliant !

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 10:19am

Field of Dreams because Im a sap. Everytime Kevin Costner asks his Dad to play a game of catch I just about tear up. Sorry its a great movie. I dont even care that much about baseball.

Ratatouille. I dont really care for animated movies but I could watch this movie over and over. And I have. Such a good flick.

Star Wars The Revenge of the Sith. Yes I know its no Empire Stikes Back but I love it. Lucas I thought did a good job on the last of the prequels. Its quite possibly one of the most memeable movies ever made. Every time I consider watching it a little voice in my head says, "DO IT!"  Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner)