Send Topic Print
Monofilament slings? (Read 1732 times)
Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Monofilament slings?
Mar 21st, 2021 at 3:21pm

I have been thinking about getting some heavy duty monofilament fishing line to try making a sling out of. In theory it should have minimal drag, and stretch, plus should be extra light weight compared to other braided cords. Has anyone tried this? If so can you share pictures of your creations? Also what are your thoughts on using fishing line to go for a range sling, a heavy projectile launcher, or an accuracy sling? I will be making one or more very soon. I will share the results here.

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Monofilament slings?
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 3:30pm

On YouTube, there is a user VoloundExpounds that has done a lot of slinging with small 1mm HDPE cords, very long, and has gotten some impressive speeds, but no confirmed distances. He also has a discord server.

I think this is the right link...

https://discord.com/channels/551824000830144522/551824254291935250

John R.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 3:42pm

Yep, this sort of stuff is standard for ultra long range slinging.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 4:51pm

Duckhands wrote on Mar 21st, 2021 at 3:21pm:
I have been thinking about getting some heavy duty monofilament fishing line to try making a sling out of. In theory it should have minimal drag, and stretch, plus should be extra light weight compared to other braided cords. Has anyone tried this? If so can you share pictures of your creations? Also what are your thoughts on using fishing line to go for a range sling, a heavy projectile launcher, or an accuracy sling? I will be making one or more very soon. I will share the results here.

As for a monofilament accuracy sling that would be perfect for testing against a more traditional target sling. I like it. We do need testing on this. We’ve theories about this for as long as I’ve been here and we are still debating it lol... If I could clone myself I would be working on about 10 different projects right now. 2 would be just focused on my SITH Sling...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Huh

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 5:08pm

Be prepared for absolute tangle hell, you will spend more time messing with the sling than slinging with it.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 6:36pm

David Morningstar wrote on Mar 21st, 2021 at 5:08pm:
Be prepared for absolute tangle hell, you will spend more time messing with the sling than slinging with it.

I thought about the tangle issue also, remembering nightmarish fishing line tangles as a youth. I have a thought on dealing with that, I will post results, successfully, or not.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 6:38pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 21st, 2021 at 4:51pm:
Duckhands wrote on Mar 21st, 2021 at 3:21pm:

As for a monofilament accuracy sling that would be perfect for testing against a more traditional target sling. I like it. We do need testing on this. We’ve theories about this for as long as I’ve been here and we are still debating it lol... If I could clone myself I would be working on about 10 different projects right now. 2 would be just focused on my SITH Sling...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Huh

I just looked up the sith sling stuff, and kinda want in, just gotta make sure my lady would be ok with it lol

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 7:43pm

IronGoober wrote on Mar 21st, 2021 at 3:30pm:
On YouTube, there is a user VoloundExpounds that has done a lot of slinging with small 1mm HDPE cords, very long, and has gotten some impressive speeds, but no confirmed distances. He also has a discord server.

Is that discord server still alive? All of the active people left or were banned because the owner couldn't handle hearing differing opinions and decided to make up rules on the spot to get rid of people. It was not a pretty sight.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 9:09pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EXb0plY4-jc

Theories don’t always work in the real world

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 9:33pm

SerKraus wrote on Mar 21st, 2021 at 7:43pm:
IronGoober wrote on Mar 21st, 2021 at 3:30pm:

Is that discord server still alive? All of the active people left or were banned because the owner couldn't handle hearing differing opinions and decided to make up rules on the spot to get rid of people. It was not a pretty sight.

Sounds like I missed a good time.

@Duckhands- its fun. You would like it and judging by your slings others would be glad you did as well.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 4:23pm

Duckhands wrote on Mar 21st, 2021 at 6:36pm:

I thought about the tangle issue also, remembering nightmarish fishing line tangles as a youth. I have a thought on dealing with that, I will post results, successfully, or not.

Also regular mono does have a lot of stretch to it.  Why not use a super line like FireLine instead.  In that it has practically no memory your tangle problem will be solved.  Also it has virtually no stretch.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 4:41pm

Rat Man wrote on Mar 22nd, 2021 at 4:23pm:

Also regular mono does have a lot of stretch to it.  Why not use a super line like FireLine instead.  In that it has practically no memory your tangle problem will be solved.  Also it has virtually no stretch.

This is very true. 100lb braided dyneema line for deep sea fishing is thinner than 50lb monofilament. Monofilament is very springy.  In fact, I’ve actually used monofilament to make  tension springs before with this technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A2LUbJjDQ0

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Test braided 50, and 30lbs filament.
Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 6:44pm

I picked up some clear 50lbs filament, as well as the green 35lbs filament, I also got some braided 50lbs fishing line as well, which is thinner than the green line with 0 memory. I just haven't tried braiding it yet. I am thinking for my sling I will use all 3 types braided together, to get a good mix of all of their characteristics. At worst the green filament should work alone. If anyone has slings made of this stuff. I would love to see your pics.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2021 at 7:53pm by Duckhands »  

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 8:00pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Mar 22nd, 2021 at 4:41pm:
Rat Man wrote on Mar 22nd, 2021 at 4:23pm:

This is very true. 100lb braided dyneema line for deep sea fishing is thinner than 50lb monofilament. Monofilament is very springy.  In fact, I’ve actually used monofilament to make  tension springs before with this technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A2LUbJjDQ0

That video was pretty cool to watch. I was actually thinking about using a heat gun to help reset the line memory, if the sling has issues resting straight. I plan on using various mixes of the 3 types of fishing line I got for test purposes. I know the braided line will work well alone, and the green seems like it will as well. The 50lbs clear seems to be the only one I might struggle with.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #14 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 8:08pm

Interested to see how you go duck.
I’ll give you a little tip, your pouch should be about 2x the weight of the release cord. Going ultralight can actually slow down the release cord.

Dyneema is an awesome material but I don’t like it being to thin , it can cut you.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick)