Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Movies That EVERYONE Else Loves That You Hate (Read 2319 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Movies That EVERYONE Else Loves That You Hate
Mar 21st, 2021 at 12:50pm

It was 1973 or 74.  My impossibly sexy steady gf Elaine Lucas and I were double dating with a friend of hers, Judy Kerr, and Judy's boyfriend.  I don't recall his name.  We decided to go to the movies and see Murder On the Orient Express.  The movie started and went on and on and on.  I fell asleep but woke myself up before anyone noticed. Then I fell asleep and woke myself up again.  I didn't want to ruin the movie for everyone else so I tried my best to stay awake to no avail.  I woke up for the third time and looked across at everyone else.  All three of them were sound asleep.  Time to go.  What a boring, horrible, endless movie. 
    Two other immensely popular movies that put me to sleep are The Godfather and Gone With the Wind.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Movies That EVERYONE Else Loves That You Hate
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 1:10pm

I think saying Harry Potter is kind of cheating because really I don't like Harry Potter in any form, movie or book (Don't even try and argue me on this anyone of you, I've read all the books and watched all the films. I don't like them.)

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 3:00pm

I didnt think much of Avatar. The marketing was absolutely brilliant and I can appreciate special effects but I felt no emotional attachment watching it. Also almost any movie with Will Ferrell. Except weirdly, The Other Guys which is my favorite comedy of all time.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 4:22pm

A Christmas Story.  I just don't get what people see in it.

@Morphy - I'm not a fan of Will Ferrell either.  But I like Stranger Than Fiction a lot.  If you haven't seen that one you should check it out.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 4:45pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Mar 21st, 2021 at 4:22pm:
A Christmas Story.  I just don't get what people see in it.

@Morphy - I'm not a fan of Will Ferrell either.  But I like Stranger Than Fiction a lot.  If you haven't seen that one you should check it out.

I saw trailers for it and the premise looked pretty good. I imagine he might have others I would like if I actually gave them a chance but it’s just his comedy style I don’t care for. Holy crap...speaking of that.. Jim Carrey I find to be utterly detestable. Bill Burr and Dave Chapelle are my favorites.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 9:49pm

Quentin Tarantino movies.  Generally, I don't enjoy them. Particularly 'Inglourious Basterds'. That movie left a bad taste in my mouth.

John R.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 4:04pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 21st, 2021 at 3:00pm:
I didnt think much of Avatar. The marketing was absolutely brilliant and I can appreciate special effects but I felt no emotional attachment watching it.

I thought the special effects in Avatar were brilliant. Unfortunately the plot was typical Hollywood slop. 

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 8:41pm

Rat Man wrote on Mar 22nd, 2021 at 4:04pm:
I didnt think much of Avatar. The marketing was absolutely brilliant and I can appreciate special effects but I felt no emotional attachment watching it.

I thought the special effects in Avatar were brilliant. Unfortunately the plot was typical Hollywood slop. 

I liked it better when it was called Dances with Wolves.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 9:17pm

1Oxnate wrote on Mar 22nd, 2021 at 8:41pm:
Rat Man wrote on Mar 22nd, 2021 at 4:04pm:

I liked it better when it was called Dances with Wolves.

Yes to all of this. Special effects were great story without the special effects was.at best a 5 out of 10.

Avatar cant hold a candle to Dances With Wolves.  Cool

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 5:27am

Blue Pocahontas

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 8:39am

You guys forgot Fern Gully and The Last Samurai.  All use that basic plot line.  But Dances certainly didn't do it first.  Anyone ever read Dune?

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #11 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 3:01pm

All musicals, just hate them and always have. Films are great and constantly interrupting them with contrived/pretentious dance numbers just ruins the experience.

As someone into films I also have to hand in my movie buff card because I typically dislike almost all black and white films and generally everything before about 1980, hard to explain but most of them just feel very wooden and unrealistic. Though I do get some brownie points back because most of my favourite films are foreign language.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #12 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 3:07pm

JudoP wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 3:01pm:
All musicals, just hate them and always have.

THANK YOU! I do not like musicals. The only two musicals I like are Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny (The fact it's musical adds to the absurdist comedy of it) and the recent Cats film which was such a horrific mess of a nightmarish train crash of a film that it wrapped right back around to a cinematic masterpiece. It was so poorly conceived and executed it became flawless. Love/hate that movie.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 6:10pm

Kick wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 3:07pm:

THANK YOU! I do not like musicals. The only two musicals I like are Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny (The fact it's musical adds to the absurdist comedy of it) and the recent Cats film which was such a horrific mess of a nightmarish train crash of a film that it wrapped right back around to a cinematic masterpiece. It was so poorly conceived and executed it became flawless. Love/hate that movie.

Sweeney Todd was a decent musical.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2021 at 11:04am

Rat Man wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 6:10pm:
Kick wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 3:07pm:

Sweeney Todd was a decent musical. 

Actually yes that's a good one.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)