Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best Easy Leather pouch and sling design (Read 697 times)
quentonium
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Best Easy Leather pouch and sling design
Mar 20th, 2021 at 6:11pm

Hello everyone,

Looking for input on the most effective/"best" pouch design for a beginner. While I would eventually like to get into weaving and braiding a sling, figured that using a leather pouch template would allow me to quickly make different sizes and styles to play around with.

Any suggestions and/or recommended templates would be greatly appreciated.

Also, are there any recommendations for leather thickness?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Best Easy Leather pouch and sling design
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 7:00pm

The boat pouch is a really good design for beginners.  It was started here on the forum, a member came up with it, the CAP PAUL as well.

I use moose hide, its super soft, and supple. Its an amazing material. I use anywhere from 4mm to 8mm thickness

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 7:51pm

The one David shows in this thread: https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1616126935.  Not just good for beginners, but a simple and effective design in general.

Something to keep in mind with leather is that it's not just the thickness, but also the rigidity.  You'll have to make some slings and see what you like.  The leather I normally use is thinner than what vetryan mentioned.  I normally use 2mm - 3mm.  And I also prefer something softer.  Anything will work.  But once you've made a few, you should start to get an idea what you prefer.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 9:05pm

Welcome to our world 🤓

Can't argue with Joe's suggestion , couple of points; don't get too hung up on which and what. Make 2, 3 or more from the same piece of leather. An old jacket, a piece of furniture leather or scraps off the interweb, loads on eBay and gumtree. Then play. Use paracord, use string, try braided string. Oil the leather, mould it, cut slits in it or shapes out of it.
Above all enjoy experimenting and find what gives the results you enjoy using.
Funnily enough after all that I still like my paracord and seatbelt sling the best.
Other point is a looped knot for attachment spreads the load better.
Cheers,
Zud👍

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

quentonium
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 5:09am

Thanks for all the advice, everyone; will definitely take everything into consideration.

I saw a video on the Tod's workshop channel earlier that seemed simple enough (leather sling, not the gaffer tape one):

https://youtu.be/49v8RAcJTMQ

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 9:29am

My favorite has always been the Apache sling. You can modify it however you choose. Paracord is also very good for a cord material.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 1:29pm

My favorite way to die down a leather pouch is the chumash method. You can just tie down a piece of cord to a rectangular leather pouch and make it oval, or an overlapped leather pouch (aussiepouch) It's a very common man sling. It spreads the load over the hole so it prevents tearing without requiring eyelets. And it's much more solid than a simple knot.
Here how to make the tie
https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1613390377/0

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man)