Send Topic Print
Where to get slings? (Read 2740 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Where to get slings?
Reply #15 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 5:42pm

On my etsy shop. I alway include a free sling as well. So technically get 2. I got a 5star rating there. I been making em for awhile, i am one of the few sling sellers who actually is a part of this forum.i got some in museums,  Matt Graham has some of mine, Dony Dust has a few.

I just had to name drop

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 5:46pm

vetryan15 wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 5:42pm:
On my etsy shop. I alway include a free sling as well. So technically get 2. I got a 5star rating there. I been making em for awhile, i am one of the few sling sellers who actually is a part of this forum.i got some in museums,  Matt Graham has some of mine, Dony Dust has a few.

I just had to name drop

Betty White, Ralph Macchio, and Undead Lincoln.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #17 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 5:47pm

Yep. They sling all the time Betty White can beat anyone with a sling

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 7:59pm

IronGoober wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 5:27pm:
@Hirtius Why not? I have one of his 48" (24" folded) it works great. Also, he usually includes a tightening loop on the fingerloops... or at least mine had one.

Also, FarmerJohn, a sling is a ridiculously simple tool. You can tie some cord to a piece of cloth (I like a sheet bend) and use that for a first go. Old jeans, old leather, or folded up cloth. If you just want to test it out, that would be the way to go before spending $20-50 on a sling someone else made.

The way I measure it, the 48 inch sling is actually only about 20/21 inches (from loop to beginning of the pouch). The 48 inches is the entire length, so you lose a bit of length to the loop and to the cord trailing the end. And the tightening loop is a cool feature and a neat, but it's not able to hold it's place when actually slinging. Before I tightened it with other cordage (I used hemp), the sling would almost fly off my hand sometimes. Not only does this throw of accuracy, but even worrying about it falling off causes me to choke back on power and not throw accurately. When properly tightened, it works great.

The reason I don't like the 48 inch (roughly 20 inch) length as much because it's a heavier, stiffer sling. Oddly enough it's the best working sling for greek overhand (for me), but considering that the heavier, sturdier design helps with heavier rocks, choosing a shorter sling gives up power for that. I like shorter slings (which is why I got mine), but the smiling sling's benefits of being beefier don't really help with the smaller ammo I normally use for the short sling.

That's not to say I don't like that sling, I just realized that I didn't choose the best design for me. I have yet to try out the 60 inch (I'm guessing around 26 inches) smiling slim sling, which I'm hoping will be a better balance.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #19 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 11:22am

I'm nice !  P.M. me your address and measurement from your thumb tip to nose tip and I will send you a seat belt sling .
Cheers
Zud👍

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Reply #20 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 3:33pm

Like everyone has said there are several options. From simple knitty gritty, but effective simple slings, up to custom made. A couple weeks ago I was in your situation. Had no slings but wanted something more than a shoelace and duct tape made one. Practicalparacord.com has slings made from paracord for about $20. I am not an associate of his, and don't even have one of his. However his slings look decent. I have recently started making several slings myself. I am up to 6 total, working on #7. People here even sell slings, I have a couple types in the market topic. I have a couple more up for trade in the trading post too. If I can learn to make a sling, anyone can. I couldn't tie my own shoes until 3rd grade. Here are a few types I have made. They were made in under a week. So I could even make you one if wanted.

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Here is a tutorial I used for my favorite two slings, pkus one I made for m
Reply #21 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 9:52pm

This is a good tutorial to get the basic braiding part down.

https://discover.hubpages.com/sports/How-to-make-a-shepherds-sling

This is my tutorial for the leather bits paired with the sling style above. For if you decided to give making them a shot.

https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1615862923

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)