Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Where to get slings? (Read 2749 times)
FarmerJohn
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Where to get slings?
Mar 19th, 2021 at 12:08am

I am new to slinging. I was wondering where to find/who makes the best slings/ what types are best? I like the look of the woven pouch type slings but honestly know little about any type. Suggestions and advice would be appreciated

IP Logged

Josephusflav

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Where to get slings?
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 12:10am

You CAN by them but why would you when you can make a perfectly good survival sling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLZwyKoLWiY

The above a dead chimp could make and it works great

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 1:51am

Heaps of tutorials on the forum.

Make your own , you will be sucked into sling building in no time.

Ah the noodle. Jesus would be proud.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 3:40am

The tutorials here are great, or etsy

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 6:55am

Heres a simple one I made the other day. I used a folded paper template to keep everything symmetrical. The material is scrap leather from an old jacket. Boot leather would be too stiff for this. Ask around, you'll be amazed what people have kept. When you get some material like this you should do a pull test in one corner with a holepunch and some cord to make sure it wont rip out.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 11:46am

FarmerJohn wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 12:08am:
I am new to slinging. I was wondering where to find/who makes the best slings/ what types are best? I like the look of the woven pouch type slings but honestly know little about any type. Suggestions and advice would be appreciated

First of all... Welcome!  You've come to the right place!
If you are brand new, I would highly recommend that you start by throwing tennis balls with a solid pouch to start... especially if you are going to do any slinging around other people.

A lot of people around here like to make their own slings, but if you do want to buy one, I would suggest you look on Etsy.  Ryan's Old Time Visions is a good place to start:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ryansoldtimevisions

There are others too, but I cannot personally vouch for them either way.

DO NOT buy one from Easyant on Amazon. I purchased one of those and sent it back because it was worthless. The pouch was too small for anything but pebbles, and the craftsmanship was sub-par.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 12:48pm

Speaking of Etsy... has anyone tried Hilltop hurler's slings?

I've been eyeing down that Hawaiian Maa sling for a while now, since I have had an interest in acquiring Polynesian slings, but I haven't heard anything about them beforehand.

Edit: And unless I'm wrong... I'm pretty sure Ben Turner is making Etsy slings too under the name CandlesAndCraftwork. I like his sling pouches... so I am pretty sure any of these slings are a good purchase, especially if you are a fan of the Tibetan-style pouch.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 12:54pm

Ya I was going to throw my vote in for VetRyans moose hide slings. Excellent material for slings and they work great.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 1:02pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 12:54pm:
Ya I was going to throw my vote in for VetRyans moose hide slings. Excellent material for slings and they work great.

For the record, VetRyan= Ryansoldtimevisions on Etsy

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 1:28pm

You could make one by yourself. The various leather pouch ones, seatbelt slings and aussie pouches are all top notch performance wise and very quick/easy to make.

Most I've seen on etsy look OK but hit and miss and some are pretty overpriced/overhyped for the quality. You could also reach out to forum members on here who can mostly do a better job for less money IMO.

Also there is amdocraft if you don't mind waiting a while
https://shop.amdocraft.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=108 I've ordered one kinda recently (not arrived yet) and the quality looks great for the very low price of only a few $ equivalent (although you do pay a fair bit additional for shipping). Other members here have amdocraft slings and can fill in on the quality, I've mostly heard good things so far though.

You could also reach out to Luis Pons Livermore on here who is a balearic sling champ who sells really nice authentic balearic slings for a very reasonable price.

IP Logged

FarmerJohn
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 1:52pm

Thanks for all the replies.
Im not against making slings as some have suggested. But im one of those people i need to see and feel something before i feel confident in making it. So buying something for a first roubd is the path im going to take. And i got plenty of golf balls so im leaning more towards tossing those than teniss balls. Not worried about people on the farm.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 2:15pm

FarmerJohn wrote on Mar 19th, 2021 at 1:52pm:
Thanks for all the replies.
Im not against making slings as some have suggested. But im one of those people i need to see and feel something before i feel confident in making it. So buying something for a first roubd is the path im going to take. And i got plenty of golf balls so im leaning more towards tossing those than teniss balls. Not worried about people on the farm.

golf balls are good ammo, but beware the ricochet!  they are notoriously attracted to slingers on the bounce-back...much like the vacuum effect that glass panels impart on human bodies whenever someone gets shot in the movies Grin

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 2:22pm

With golf balls your best bet would probably be a slightly cupped solid pouch. You can also get away with a small split pouch. Just be aware if the split is even slightly too big with golf balls it's hard for a new slinger to keep them secure in the pouch.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 3:52pm

Practical paracord has some nice and sturdy slings. I've found that you do need to tie something around the base of the finger loops to keep it tight, and I wouldn't buy the shorter length (48 inch or below).

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 5:27pm

@Hirtius Why not? I have one of his 48" (24" folded) it works great. Also, he usually includes a tightening loop on the fingerloops... or at least mine had one.

Also, FarmerJohn, a sling is a ridiculously simple tool. You can tie some cord to a piece of cloth (I like a sheet bend) and use that for a first go. Old jeans, old leather, or folded up cloth. If you just want to test it out, that would be the way to go before spending $20-50 on a sling someone else made.

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)