Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The licorice whip sling (Read 933 times)
Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
The licorice whip sling
Mar 17th, 2021 at 4:53pm

Pardon the sloppy work on this sling guys, this one was intended to test a few new concept ideas. A large part was to cut weight without loosing the detail or strength. So the inner core of the cords are 4- 100lbs test micro nylon cords. Then the outer sleeve is a lighter crotchet nylon string. I was able to drop just over 10 grams off, from my previous lightest sling. Down to 28 grams now. The finger stitching turned out a bit gross, just due to the lack of time spent sewing to just get this test version made asap. I do think for the future flat wrap style slings I make, I will do it with a neater version of how this one was made. I am just getting ready to go toss some test throws with it too, vs my two other favorite slings to decide for sure if I keep this design in my rapidly growing list of sling variations. Oh also, if I ever make slings for others I will put more effort into them, than any I have made for myself  btw.

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
I just realized it does this too lol.
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 5:53pm

Yeah, kinda ugly as far as a bracelet is concerned, but hey gotta start somewhere.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: The licorice whip sling
Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 7:42pm

Clearly Duck you were meant to be here all along. What took you so long man!  Grin Grin

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 7:48pm

Not sure where you're coming from.  Looks great to me!  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 10:42pm

Thanks for the kind words and support fellas. Ikr Morphy? I have been trying to quit cigarettes, and have wanted to make, or buy a sling for a long while, but have never been good with knots. Couldn't tie my shoes embarrassingly, until 3rd grade. So that set me back on ever trying. Then I started climbing towers and kind of had to learn at least basic rigging knots etc. What really got me interested was the practical paracord site. Then some youtube searching brought me to Mr. Jaegoor, Primitive Sniper, and Thegn Thrand, and all of them mentioned the forum. I kicked around for a while, and the day I joined, I decided to try my hand at making one. Now I'm hooked. Oh and the parts that bug me on this sling is the misaligned finger loop, and pouch. The finger loop twists ever so slightly, and the poor looking stitching. A little slow to load compared to my favorite formed pouch sling, but it flings hard, and fairly accurate. I might make the pouch a bit shorter on the next iteration. I am trying to perfect the design of the first sling I made, while lightening it up a bit. Oh and if you made it this far it is a trip. The record for the most traffic on the forum happened on my birthday Shocked

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2021 at 1:56am

Guess who Primitive Sniper is Cheesy He's not me but he might be closer than you think...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2021 at 5:09am

I am guessing it is Morphy? Oh but, after breaking this bad boy in a bit more the finger loop twist isn't that big of deal. I did tie two foothold knots under it to give it a bit of flexibility, and twist. I just don't like how it sits when relaxed, and the quick sloppy stitch work I did on this one. I do like the way it looks though, and after playing around with some racquet balls the pouch size is feeling more appropriate. It can throw golf ball sized, to almost ridiculously large rocks. So I think this design is still a keeper, it just needs to be refined on the green and black version I am making next, to polish this design a bit more. I love how light weight it is too. Again I think as it breaks in more it will grow on me more too

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2021 at 5:29pm

Damn, I hate to admit it but this sling has jumped to being my second favorite of my collection, possibly even my favorite Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2021 at 6:40pm by Duckhands »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Kick)