Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Your First Rock Concert (Read 1819 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Your First Rock Concert
Mar 16th, 2021 at 6:19pm

As many of you know I went to lots concerts.  It would probably be easier to list the great Classic Rock bands I didn't see.  It's what we did.  In my late teens the drugs were really good; we're talking around 1970 here.  So a lot of it's a blur.  For the life of me I couldn't remember my first Rock concert so I asked a friend, Frank.  He is about 80% sure my first concert was a four in one at the Spectrum in Philadelphia.  I was sixteen then. It was Fog Hat, Sea Train, Redbone, and Rare Earth.... I'm pretty sure that was the line up.  It was a hell of a show. I remember that much for sure.
     So what was your first Rock concert, or any sort of concert, and was it any good? 

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Your First Rock Concert
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 6:30pm

I was snuck into a punk concert when I was just 9-10 years old , I was thrown around by a bunch of adults for almost the whole concert crowd surfing the mosh pit. Definitely an experience. Never ever crowdsurfed like that again. I was walking on people’s hands across the stage and the band was loving it. Eventually the security guards captured us and kicked us out.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 6:45pm

Brandi Carlile.  I was in love.  Later heartbroken when she married her wife.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 6:53pm

I saw The Only Ones with my dad. They're an old band most people have never heard of, but their most famous song, Another Girl Another Planet, is my dad's favourite song. The place was full of 40 to 60 year olds. I might have been the youngest person there, but other mums and dads had brought along their kids who were milling about awkwardly like me to start with. Peter Perrett, the lead singer has had a long history of drug use and came out looking like a skeleton. It's frankly a miracle the guy is still alive, but the gig itself was fantastic. Despite the age of the band and audience, everyone was going for it. Great fun. It was somewhat marred by a group that kind of stuck out. In amongst the dads and mums and young teens was this group of about five 20-something year old guys. They were all absolutely smashed. They seemed to have one guy who was the main driving force who kept insisting that he get lifted up to crowd surf. Remember what I said about the age of the audience? Yeah they were not going to be taking the weight of a drunk moron onto their bad backs so the friends that lifted him up had no one to pass him on to. Solution? They just awkwardly carried their friend to the front, which parted like the Red Sea, they dumped him over the barrier, then he ran around to rejoin them to a big cry of "WAHEYYYYY!" You might be thinking "So these guys just turned up at a random concert to get trashed and muck about" well no, they were actually Only Ones fans. This was apparent as the ring leader kept shouting at Peter Perrett at full volume "PETE! PETE! YOU'RE A F****** LEGEND MATE! YOU'RE A F****** LEGEND!"

Great night.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 7:12pm

Tonic in Dallas. A band that was popular for a little while. I drank a lot. Having never had a drink before I went big and then went home too. It was a long night.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 9:05pm

I actually don't recall.  The earliest one I remember going to was Clapton.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 10:45pm

The Doors. Date was a Miss Somewhere. She insisted we go. Got front row seats right below the stage. BY the time Jim got to light my fire, he was sweating like a sponge. Yep, we were right below him Sad

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2021 at 11:03pm

I’m so jealous the doors are one of my favourite bands. He was long gone before I was born

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 12:25am

I didn't go to a concert until I was 21. First was DragonForce. lol. Like from Guitar Hero. I have never really played that game, but I knew about them because of my brother. It was a lot of fun. The band was pretty drunk, but still played a decent set. Herman Li can shred in just about any state, it seems.

John R.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 2:55am

My 1st concert was Tenacious D, kyle Gass and Jack Black. The energy he has, was more then he has in movies.  While my mother was pregnant with mee, sje was stationed in Germany (army). She says my 1st concert was Iron Maiden, and Twiisted Sister was opener, but i might have the bands order mixed up.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 9:10am

walter wrote on Mar 16th, 2021 at 10:45pm:
The Doors. Date was a Miss Somewhere. She insisted we go. Got front row seats right below the stage. BY the time Jim got to light my fire, he was sweating like a sponge. Yep, we were right below him Sad

For a long time the Doors were my favorite band and one of the few great Classic Rock bands I didn't see.   Morrison died a little before I was old enough to go to Rock concerts.  I too am very jealous.  Hell of a first concert, Walter.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 5:16pm

Besides eating dinner with the Beatles I really dont think anyone is going to beat getting sweat on by Jim Morrison as he sung to you in the first row. Talk about setting the bar high! Lol

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 11:14pm

Annie (my lp) came with in a hair width of running over Lennon in a parking lot on the Cape. She says he just stood there glaring at her  Shocked

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 8:25am

This is a little off topic but...  Morrison, Hendrix, and Joplin all ODed and the Beatles broke up just a little before I was old enough to go to Rock concerts.  If I was just a year or two older I would have seen all of these acts.

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #14 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 8:31am

Hawkwind,
Sheffield City Hall.
Denim waistcoat,  black fur collar.
Embarrassed

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)