Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My new baby. (Partial tutorial) (Read 3287 times)
Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
My new baby. (Partial tutorial)
Mar 15th, 2021 at 10:48pm

Bare with me on this post, it has tons of pictures showing various stages of the process. I will include brief descriptions on each to make it somewhat of a tutorial. I wanted to test this design before I posted anything, and it is now my favorite sling. I was able to throw small rocks that I could barely feel the weight of, as well as rocks over the size of an orange. The responsiveness of the new finger loop style feels great, and the black soft nylon thread makes the release oh so great. The multiple turks head knots on the release end make for easy points of release for various rock sizes, and the double cobra knot gives good traction for holding on with awkward shaped rocks. All in all this is my favorite one I have made out of the five I have done so far. I need to improve my braiding skills, to keep all of the loops more uniform, but I think I found my pouch and loop designs for sure. Now on to my steps. Here are a few shots of the finished sling first though, so you know if you want to follow along.

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Top side of the pouch
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 10:50pm

Another finished angle

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Inside pouch
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 10:51pm

I love how this pouch cradles ammo, note the constrictor knot on the pouch too. I forget to mention that in my "tutorial" sorry it is 2 pages btw everyone.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Bottom of pouch
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 10:52pm

I think it looks purty

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Release end
Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 10:54pm

These knots are pretty nice for a release I think

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Finger loop
Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 10:56pm

This is my facorite style of finger loop now too. The lucky thing is that my existing cardboard jig was the perfect size for this without any trimming needed. Now onto the steps, sorry, just want to be thorough.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
The beginning.
Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 11:06pm

To start you get 4, 20 foot lengths of micro paracord. Line them up go 3ish inches from the center and start tying your finger loop with a 4 strand round braid. I also will have cut out my pouch and the leather finger ring by now. The finger loop part has four holes in line, two at each end roughly 1/4" apart. Once you get your finger loop braided to be long enough to go around the leather you unspool 4 of the ends you were braiding. Then you wrap the leather into a loop with the outer most holes on each end lined up over eachother. Then you take the four unspooled ends and feed them through the bottom of the leather, through the holes that lined up. Then you take them out one of the holes on the other side, then feed it around the leather ring and back through the hole on the other side, and back down out of the center. Be careful to not let the loose ends get weaved between the first srands you pulled through or pulling it in place will be extra tough. Once you get everything done to this point it should look like this. Beginner tip, color code all 8 of your spools with rubber bands to help with braiding, also color code the 4 double spools, (as seen here)
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2021 at 3:43am by Duckhands »  

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Close up
Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 11:06pm

(Like this continued)

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Close up 2
Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 11:07pm

(Like this continued again)

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Now you do your 8 strand braids
Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 11:11pm

Do the 8 strand braids from this point until just before you are ready to start tying the split braids for the pouch. Unspool all of your 8 strands. It helps to do them one at a time, here, and above on the finger loop feeding part. Then feed them through the hole on the end of the pouch. It should look like this. Minus the pouch braids lol I skipped a few pictures by accident.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Oh the way I came up with the pouch.
Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 11:14pm

Oh the way I came up with this pouch shape was to trace the shape of a braided sling, then retraced the form a few times to make it larger. So you may need to make a couple for this design. Here is a picture of my pouch design used, as well as the finger loop, leathers, and cordage. I have also added holes onto each end of the pouch about a 1/4 inch in.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
A closer shot of how the pouch should be
Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 11:19pm

This is how I fed the pouch onto the retention end. I went in through the upper, or inner, part of the pouch. Then I started my 4 strand split. Oh you can also see I cut a v shape in my actual pouch, I just traced the angle from my fold flaps down to a 90 degree angle and cut it out, then punched a small round hole at the corner, that is actually kind of crucial for the forming to come out nice.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2021 at 3:47am by Duckhands »  

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Now to braid the split pouch
Reply #12 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 11:22pm

Now I just braided the pouch to line up with the edge of the sling until the stitch tabs then I folded over the stitche tabs and clothes pinned them in place for later. I did half of one side, then half of the other side. I recomend just doing one side to the desired point, then switch.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Braided both sides
Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 11:28pm

It is tough to describe how you know when you have enough braided on each side, however, it isn't too tough to eyeball it to make it as symetrical as you can to the beginning of your split. I just braided them until they came together approximately the same distance from the pouch hole as the other side did. Then you do an 8 strand braid for about 3-4 inches and you guessed it, feed the ends back through the pouch. You got the toughest parts done, don't give up!

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Now you finish up.
Reply #14 - Mar 15th, 2021 at 11:39pm

Now you just do the 8 strand braid until your end point, and tie whatever your prefered end knots are. For me I like to tie a turks head knot a couple inches short of my release knot, then another turks head knot at the natural, empty release point, then another one a little ways further down. After the first turks head knot I tie a constrictor knot as tight as possible all the way to the second one, this gives the end flex, but still a good thickness for some of those awkward projectiles. After the second knot I tie a double cobra knot to give a handle that is flat, yet grippy for adjusted ammo size, and to help know if your cord is twisted. Then after the final turks head I tied a small, extra tight constrictor knot with about 4 wraps. Then I lightly melted the ropes and smothed out the knot. I frayed out remaining ends to soften any potential hand slap. To finish the pouch you take a sewing awl, and sew the flaps down where they were clamped. Then I soaked the whole project in warm water for a few seconds, long enough to darken the leather, and wrapped the pouch around a racquet ball. Then wrapped it with paper towels and tightly wrapped electrical tape around that to hold the leather pushed tight against the ball. After taping I went around and fine tuned where everything was laying under the tape.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2021 at 3:50am by Duckhands »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Morphy)