Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The best sling I have ever used (Read 2844 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: The best sling I have ever used
Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 4:59pm

Today I had this sling in a warm dry place. It has lost all almost all its stiffness and most of its twist resistance. It's more like a tight 2 ply sisal sling now. Many more oscillations now with the same ammo that previous showed almost none. Not that it's a bad sling now, just no reason for all this work if the end result has similar twist resistance as a tight 2 ply sisal sling in a dry environment. This is a tricky thing.. I don't know if this problem can be solved with natural fibres. I think it's time to just forget about technical improvements of the sling and the best way is to simply practice and accept the sling's shortcomings for what it is, and none of this discussion and experimentation and perfection to get perfect 0 degree angle of attack shots every time is going to happen. this is how I feel now anyway.
Moisture defeated me. Synthetics are calling me, and I refuse

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #16 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 10:30pm

J I am confused. What do you mean by “angle of attack”?  That term is usually used in reference to airfoils like wings or propellers... not rocks that are tumbling or spinning through the air.  How do you define angle of attack for a rock?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #17 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 11:03pm

I believe he means the angle of the axis of rotation compared to it's direction of travel. If they are aligned, it is a angle of zero. That is how I would define it at least. i.e. a perfect rifled release.

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #18 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 11:30pm

IronGoober wrote on Mar 22nd, 2021 at 11:03pm:
I believe he means the angle of the axis of rotation compared to it's direction of travel. If they are aligned, it is a angle of zero. That is how I would define it at least. i.e. a perfect rifled release.

Ok, that makes sense I suppose.  I have a hard time imagining a release sequence that could ever achieve this though. The only way I can think to do it is mid-air with an aerodynamic self-stabilizing shape. Elongated ammo rolls out of the pouch perpendicular to the pointy ends. You would need the ammo to begin rifling, then rotate to where the pointy end is facing forward without inhibiting the rifled spin.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 3:49am

My theory is, when you use the perfectly weighted and balanced ammo for a specific sling, and a consistent wide grip and throwing style, a near perfect rifled release is possible consistently. I shared my theories on how to come near this perfect  ammo weight for your sling. Just like bows that have a set of arrows that perfectly match it. This bow and arrow set is harmonious to each other, or at least as close to it as possible.
Similarily this can be achieved with the sling and projectile, But to achieve this near-perfect harmony is tough. It depends a lot on the construction of the sling. But it's important that your sling is consistent. That this what happened to me does not happen, variable-stiffness depending on humidity. It screws it all up.
It may be possible with a synthetic sling because it's less effected by weather. I lost my interest to perfect it, because my interest is with natural fibres, and I am not saying technically thinked through aspects for natural fibres slings are completely futile, but its near impossible to perfect.
The intricate complexity of the internal ballistics of the friction sling baffled me and put me off tremendously. It wasn't why I got into slings. I threw the baby out with the bathwater. Now I got back into slings, I took on this challenge to find this perfection. I know how to come near it, and those few shots feel incredible. Just like shooting a perfectly matched arrow is a joy. Anyway, I'm done with perfecting this, and just keep the sling the simple thing it was and accept its shortcomings. The old ''practice is everything'' challenge and ''chock the odd rock'' is more fun than the ''harmonious sling challenge'' for me. Throw out most rules and dogmas of the sling and how to use it I made up in my head, and just rely on the instinct and practice. Although I will keep the wide grip.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #20 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 10:34am

J, I wouldn't be totally discouraged. There could still be something to your theory. Just like a bow, tuning doesn't matter if you can't hit your target anyway. I mean you wouldn't worry about giving a 6 year old a well matched bow and spined arrow, because it wouldn't make that much difference. But for the archer who has been training hard, but just can't quite get that last little bit of precision, spining the arrows correctly can be the key to achieving that final needed bit of accuracy. In my own experience, only at the end of bow hunting season does paper tuning my shooting make a big enough difference to notice improvement in my accuracy. Perhaps it is similar to the sling.

Perhaps the tuning issue you speak of is for a skill level you just haven't quite reached yet (that is probably the case for many of us). I don't know what level of precision would be required, but probably being capable of trick-shot level accuracy within a just a handful of tries is likely required.  Food for thought anyway.
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2021 at 2:19pm by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 10:59am

IronGoober wrote on Mar 23rd, 2021 at 10:34am:
J, I wouldn't be totally discouraged. There could still be something to your theory. Just like a bow, tuning doesn't matter if you can't hit your target anyway. I mean you wouldn't worry about giving a 6 year old a well matched bow and spined arrow, because it wouldn't make that much difference. But for the archer who has been training hard, but just can't quite get that last little bit of precision, spining the arrows right can be the key . In my own experience, only at the end of bow hunting season does paper tuning my shooting make a big enough difference to notice improvement in my accuracy. Perhaps it is similar to the sling.

Perhaps the tuning issue you speak of is for a skill level you just haven't quite reached yet(that is probably the case for many of us). Food for thought anyway.

+1

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #22 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 9:17am

It’s a lot easier to get that perfect spiral with aerodynamics instead of internal ballistics:

https://youtu.be/DuIuVO2nUeU

... actually I slowed it down even more here:

https://youtu.be/Slaoyw3hceQ

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #23 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 11:43am

Interesting, but not my cup of tea.

Natural fibre puts a limit on what kind of control is possible, as I laid out in the above posts, because different levels of humidity can greatly change the ''tiller'' of the sling, from floppy to stiff.

But there's no better sling feeling than slinging a well balanced sling, without big oscillations, without big twists, and with a perfect turning with the wrists. The consistency I can get with a fine tuned setup, is incredible, and so would many here.

@irongoober I was discouraged because humidity was spoling my efforts in perfecting the natural fibre design for me. Not because I don't have the skill to notice the differents. I definitely do. I think even someone who has only been slinging for a month would notice.

I made a synthetic variant of this hemp sling, to overcome this issues over humidity, even though I love natural fibre.  Either way, this is my current precision sling design. Somehow this hemp type seems to retain its level of stiffness/pliability in variable humid atmospheres better than the a twisted/whipped hemp sling I posted in the OP, but not to the degree a synthetic sling does. I think the whipping + twisting combination is more affected by humidity levels than a braid.

This design with clay biconicals weighted for it is an absolute rifle sling. I can even use a full fist pinch grip (both cords side to side in the hand, no cord seperated in the hand!)  and get great orientated shots.

hem.png (1156 KB | 16 )
hem.png

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Reply #24 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 7:27pm

Archaic Arms wrote on Mar 14th, 2021 at 11:06am:
Very interesting! What did you do for the release?
I can see that design working really well, and round split-pouches in general have very low friction. While my 'magic' sling turns out to not be that magical, yours looks promising.
Prime candidate for waxing I think, which would help glue the thing together, make the twist resistance even better, and greatly decrease the likelihood of the whipping getting torn in any location and unraveling. Because it's so thin it would probably only add ~10g in weight.

What are some good sources for beeswax? All I have is a chapstick sized container, mustache wax, but seems like it would be emptied to coat one sling.

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Reply #25 - Mar 25th, 2021 at 7:38pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 11:43am:
Interesting, but not my cup of tea.

Natural fibre puts a limit on what kind of control is possible, as I laid out in the above posts, because different levels of humidity can greatly change the ''tiller'' of the sling, from floppy to stiff.

But there's no better sling feeling than slinging a well balanced sling, without big oscillations, without big twists, and with a perfect turning with the wrists. The consistency I can get with a fine tuned setup, is incredible, and so would many here.

@irongoober I was discouraged because humidity was spoling my efforts in perfecting the natural fibre design for me. Not because I don't have the skill to notice the differents. I definitely do. I think even someone who has only been slinging for a month would notice.

I made a synthetic variant of this hemp sling, to overcome this issues over humidity, even though I love natural fibre.  Either way, this is my current precision sling design. Somehow this hemp type seems to retain its level of stiffness/pliability in variable humid atmospheres better than the a twisted/whipped hemp sling I posted in the OP, but not to the degree a synthetic sling does. I think the whipping + twisting combination is more affected by humidity levels than a braid.

This design with clay biconicals weighted for it is an absolute rifle sling. I can even use a full fist pinch grip (both cords side to side in the hand, no cord seperated in the hand!)  and get great orientated shots.

I am a bit new to the hobby, but I am already chasing that perfect material, size, weave/braid type, efficiency/accuracy balance point as well. Don't give up hope. There is ALWAYS a better way to do things. Just like there is always someone more skilled. It will happen just gotta keep chugging through the frustration of failure, learning from the problems. Sorry for the basic pep talk lol. Just trying to be encouraging

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #26 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 5:39am

Whooaaaaaaaaaaa that is sleek.
I am feeling comfortable merely by looking at that thing.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #27 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 10:53pm

Duckhands wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 7:27pm:
What are some good sources for beeswax? All I have is a chapstick sized container, mustache wax, but seems like it would be emptied to coat one sling.

100% beeswax candles can always be bought if that's all you can find. Farmers markets or any places that sell produce from local beekeepers often have 1lb blocks of wax, which are more value for money.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #28 - Mar 27th, 2021 at 12:57am

Archaic Arms wrote on Mar 26th, 2021 at 10:53pm:
Duckhands wrote on Mar 25th, 2021 at 7:27pm:

100% beeswax candles can always be bought if that's all you can find. Farmers markets or any places that sell produce from local beekeepers often have 1lb blocks of wax, which are more value for money.

Agreed.  And if you can't find anything local, just look on ebay or Etsy.  Plenty of sellers with blocks of beeswax.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark)