Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The best sling I have ever used (Read 2903 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

The best sling I have ever used
Mar 13th, 2021 at 1:15pm

I been working on this masterwork. I can't state enough how good this sling works for me, the way I use it.
I've never seen any historical sling ever build like this.  The core consists of a thin 3-ply twisted hemp cord. The split pouch and fingerloop are spliced. I've overlaid very thin tight twisted hemp cord whipping over the complete length of the sling. Done very tight and with care. It' has made the sling very twist resistant and extremely snappy and responsive. By far the best feeling sling I have ever used. It feels super efficient. It felt it deserves its own thread. It's rifles baseballs, tennisballs, clayballs like a laser, and biconicals perfect every time. I don't feel like settling for anything less ever again, she is a medium 75 cms long. I got to make a video on it. I am definitely going to make more of these.
Mad Monkey

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Re: The best sling I have ever used
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 1:25pm

Looking great!

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 1:40pm

Nice.  I've often considered whipping over the entire sling but never did because I was afraid it would make the sling too stiff.  Apparently not.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 1:46pm

I used a very fine thread for the whipping, and the diameter of the central twisted 3 ply core is quite small, about 2-3 mm.

It's a very unique way to get round, thin, yet stiff natural cords, outside  the traditional paradigm of flat braid, round braid and twisted.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2021 at 3:11pm

Very interesting J. So keeping in the theme of an instrument where does this fall? Woodwind? Brass? Strings etc.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2021 at 6:00am

I made another one out of jute, but it is not as stiff as hemp. The hemp one (outer) is nicer.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2021 at 6:07am

A photo to show how stiff/pliable the whipping allows me to get a thin natural sling. The pouch orientation control is most excellent, of a quality I have never had with other slings, neither thought possible, and it doesn't require a thick/square braid that slows it down or interferes. And I tried so many. It's hard to put into words the magic. It almost made me cry. The symphony this hemp sling produces is like spring waltz.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2021 at 6:50am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Mar 14th, 2021 at 6:07am:
A photo to show how stiff/pliable the whipping allows me to get a thin natural sling. The pouch orientation control is most excellent, of a quality I have never had with other slings, neither thought possible, and it doesn't require a thick/square braid that slows it down or interferes. And I tried so many. It's hard to put into words the magic. It almost made me cry. The symphony this hemp sling produces is like spring waltz.

A tutorial would be most helpful especially for newer members if you are up to it. Perhaps adding it to the abstract sling design?

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2021 at 9:59am

I've found that round braiding around a core makes a quite stiff sling too, might be another way to achieve a similar result.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #9 - Mar 14th, 2021 at 11:06am

Very interesting! What did you do for the release?
I can see that design working really well, and round split-pouches in general have very low friction. While my 'magic' sling turns out to not be that magical, yours looks promising.
Prime candidate for waxing I think, which would help glue the thing together, make the twist resistance even better, and greatly decrease the likelihood of the whipping getting torn in any location and unraveling. Because it's so thin it would probably only add ~10g in weight.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Mar 14th, 2021 at 11:57am

JudoP wrote on Mar 14th, 2021 at 9:59am:
I've found that round braiding around a core makes a quite stiff sling too, might be another way to achieve a similar result.

it produces a very similar result. The slings I get closest to performance to this one are relatively stiff, machine round braided  polyester around a core, these are 5-6mm diameter cords. I simply stitch these together to form a split pouch, and then add some leather to cover up the stitchings

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Mar 14th, 2021 at 12:06pm

Archaic Arms wrote on Mar 14th, 2021 at 11:06am:
Very interesting! What did you do for the release?
I can see that design working really well, and round split-pouches in general have very low friction. While my 'magic' sling turns out to not be that magical, yours looks promising.
Prime candidate for waxing I think, which would help glue the thing together, make the twist resistance even better, and greatly decrease the likelihood of the whipping getting torn in any location and unraveling. Because it's so thin it would probably only add ~10g in weight.

The grip I used on this sling is very wide, I place the retention loop over my pinkie and ring, so the cord basically exits from my ring finger. I use a middle, thumb and index grip on the release ''tab''. So all my fingers are used, 2 for the retention, 3 for the release. I don't really like the feeling of full-cord grip with a ring-finger wide grip. But I do love a ring finger wide grip whenever I can.

The split pouch is specifically sized for specific ammo- in this case tennisballs, baseballs, clay balls and biconicals. Because it's sized properly I have no rpoblems with a rotor and ammo dropping out of the pouch, even with a wide ring finger grip. I wouldn't use this sling for random stones of various shapes and sizes, the sling deserves better.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Mar 14th, 2021 at 12:11pm

That looks really stiff J. Have you tried it with heavy ammo? And have you tried the lasso aiming method?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #13 - Mar 14th, 2021 at 2:56pm

You're really onto something here J.
I have just made a small section with thick linen yarns and it's amazingly twist resistant if you wrap it correctly. 3-ply in the middle would be too thick with the yarns I'm using and 2 will probably be just as good. I can't do any normal braiding at the moment as I have a gargantuan blister on my left thumb, but I can twist cords, so I'll try and whip one together today.  Wink
I think it would make for a great target sling.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Mar 14th, 2021 at 3:16pm

I wrap 5 turns, then pull it down tight, repeat, you get better at it
the next sling. With care and skillful wrapping, it should not slide, Make it tight. And I do recommend
Thin Linen or hemp,. And not thick jute or sisal twine.
Its similar to a bowstring serving

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark)